robertap

The Consolidated Matt Ryan Thread

1,105 posts in this topic

In passing yards and TD's.  #3 in completion %.  Only QB to ever start the first 5 games of a season with over 300 yards passing in each game.  According to many around here, he's done.  He's a noodle arm.  Frankly, he's just about the only player on the team worth watching these days.

Just now, Falcanuck said:

A lot of garbage time stats, but yes, sadly this Falcons team is so bad that Matt would have to score 40 pts a game to come close to winning.

It's only "garbage time," because our defense can't stop anyone.  Garbage time starts with about 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter each game.

1 minute ago, robertap said:

It's only "garbage time," because our defense can't stop anyone.  Garbage time starts with about 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter each game.

And because the offence has been historically bad in the first half. 

It's garbage time nonetheless.

1 minute ago, robertap said:

That'd be true if we had at least an average D, in our current state, garbage time starts about a 1/4 of the way through the 2nd

I don't have an issue with Ryan as the current starter, I just don't think he's going to age gracefully. It's going to be a lot more similar to Eli Manning than it will be Brady, IMO.

If at some point in the next 3 years we get an opportunity to draft our own developmental prospect and we don't pull the trigger, it will be a mistake. Ryan will play here into his late 30s, but his arm is already not the strongest and it will continue to decline throughout his career.

He probably has two or three good seasons left in him, and he has a massive contract so there's no sense in even speculating about getting rid of him. I just think we should draft a kid capable of passing the torch to sooner than later. 

He's been puit into obvious passing situations with the oppsing team scoring every drive and the running game and penalties putting us in really weird spots. Ryan can still play, but I wouldn't mind letting him go a team with a good defense to end his career with a chance

18 minutes ago, robertap said:

Falcons offense in first half: Vikings 0 points, Eagles 10 points, Colts 3 points, Titans 7 points. A lot of those losses could have been wins if the offense started the game scoring more points.

5 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

He's been puit into obvious passing situations with the oppsing team scoring every drive and the running game and penalties putting us in really weird spots. Ryan can still play, but I wouldn't mind letting him go a team with a good defense to end his career with a chance

I would guess that New England would be willing to take him if the price was right.  I doubt he can go there on the contract that he has now.  

22 minutes ago, EddieK said:

That'd be true if we had at least an average D, in our current state, garbage time starts about a 1/4 of the way through the 2nd

The second possession you mean.  We are lucky to get five min into a game before the wheels come off.

PokerSteve likes this

2 minutes ago, robertap said:

I would guess that New England would be willing to take him if the price was right.  I doubt he can go there on the contract that he has now.  

Why do people say Ryan’s contract is a problem?  Next year his contract will be peanuts comparatively.  You put him on a team with a decent Oline and a coach that  knows how to run a west coast and he will win a SB in two years.  We could easily get two 1st rd picks for him with his contract.  Only a falcons fan would think otherwise.

36 minutes ago, robertap said:

In passing yards and TD's.  #3 in completion %.  Only QB to ever start the first 5 games of a season with over 300 yards passing in each game.  According to many around here, he's done.  He's a noodle arm.  Frankly, he's just about the only player on the team worth watching these days.

He's Andy Daulton in a Falcons uniform... Nothing more.

Embrace the suck and FWEST1 like this

13 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Why do people say Ryan’s contract is a problem?  Next year his contract will be peanuts comparatively.  You put him on a team with a decent Oline and a coach that  knows how to run a west coast and he will win a SB in two years.  We could easily get two 1st rd picks for him with his contract.  Only a falcons fan would think otherwise.

Everybody's contracts an issue when you're 600k below the cap.

2 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Everybody's contracts an issue when you're 600k below the cap.

This is true. QBs contract are going to shoot through the roof over the next couple of years.  Ryan will never hold out, so he will be a bargain for some team.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Every time there is a loss there are a dozen or so MR2 threads, and I suppose that comes with the territory of being the QB, but honestly I feel like we are pointing fingers at the wrong man.

Dan Quinn is turning out to be an awful coach. He's barely above .500 and the team lacks discipline and motivation. We gave him most of the credit in 2016, but I think that it's becoming quite apparent that the coach who got us there was Shanahan. Last year we thought the issue was Sark and Manuel. Those guys were replaced and now we aren't just bad, we are awful. These losses aren't on Matt, they belong solely to DQ and he needs to go. 

mqg96, IndyFalcon72, nomak and 5 others like this

Most all teams game plan vs Ryan is: put the ball in Ryans hands between the 20s.. Hes going to over and under throw targets, throw behind Julio, easy sack target, hes not going to run very far.. Let Ryan get a few garbage throws and tighten up defense at the 20..Ryans redzone issues are well known in the league.. Easy game plan for all teams to defeat Ryan

7 hours ago, EddieK said:

garbage time starts when the defense gets on the field first lmao

PokerSteve, Ergo Proxy and 4dabirds like this