Osiruz

Khalil Mack trade worked well for raiders

93 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

To be honest, I think the rug was pulled off from under Marty too early during his time with the Chargers. I think he could've very well won a SB with an even more experienced Rivers at QB.

AJ Smith should've been fired as GM. Not Schottenheimer as HC.

Completely agree. Man coached them to consistent success yearly. Eventually they were gonna make it over the hump

Just now, caponine said:

Jon Gruden and the raiders always had a plan. Seems like now , its working 

yup. and they stuck to it regardless of what the talking heads said then and now. I hope they finish the season with a winning record just to shut them up

3 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

To be honest, I think the rug was pulled off from under Marty too early during his time with the Chargers. I think he could've very well won a SB with an even more experienced Rivers at QB.

AJ Smith should've been fired as GM. Not Schottenheimer as HC.

Didn't he get fired because he lost both OC and DC to head coaching jobs?

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That's a pretty bad reason to fire someone

15 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And Gruden gave them that final push to get into the Super Bowl....

Where they faced a team that was running his exact offense that Gruden knew in and out..... You want to talk about the ultimate inside man....

Not only did Tampa's Defense have the Raiders offensive playbook.  They had the guy that wrote the playbook and coached everyone on the offense in how to run it.

Absolutely lucked out. It’s not like Tampa wasn’t a contender before Gruden. 

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Do we have confidence in the front office’s ability to parlay those picks into real football players?

It’s one thing to have a lot of picks. It’s another thing to actually hit on them. I remember Cleveland had a lot of picks and didn’t turn ‘em into anything.

This is taking into mind we will have a new GM, I think its time for TD to go. 

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

That's a pretty bad reason to fire someone

It is.  Which is exactly why I remember it.  Spanos didn't like the price of success.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552 

Less than a month after San Diego's NFL-best 14-2 season was
wrecked in a playoff loss to New England, Spanos cited the exodus
of both coordinators and other assistants in firing Schottenheimer,
who had a year left on his contract.

ya_boi_j likes this

8 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

yup. and they stuck to it regardless of what the talking heads said then and now. I hope they finish the season with a winning record just to shut them up

It looks like they have a great chance too. Raiders to me could give the chiefs a run for first place if they put it all together 

ya_boi_j likes this

21 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Good ole Shotty. I wish he would have made it to at least 1. Sadly today's Chargers teams can't produce when it counts either

Agreed, he would have won it all if he wasn't fired. That team was STACKED.

53 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'd hate to see what's said about Andy Reid if Super Bowls are what we judge them by. Reid was the NFCCG king. Probably going to become the AFCCG king 

49 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It’s the other way, Tony Dungy gave Manning a better D in 2006 playoffs. Statistically the SB year for Manning wasn’t as good as other years when he lost in playoffs. Bottom line it’s a team game and Dungy built that team in Tampa.

Andy Reid and Mccnab made their career being Dungy's daddy lol. Dungy always stuck to running Alstott and Dunn, he was what people think of Rex Ryan. Gruden swooped in built a stud offense, and won the Lombardi that Dungy should have had multiple times with that team if the offense and Shaun king weren't so atrocious. 

ya_boi_j likes this

Just now, caponine said:

It looks like they have a great chance too. Raiders to me could give the chiefs a run for first place if they put it all together 

If the Chiefs don't learn how to beat man press, they aren't going anywhere at all this year except back to the drawing board. They're defense isn't going to win them any games. 

5 minutes ago, Embrace the suck said:

Agreed, he would have won it all if he wasn't fired. That team was STACKED.

Andy Reid and Mccnab made their career being Dungy's daddy lol. Dungy always stuck to running Alstott and Dunn, he was what people think of Rex Ryan. Gruden swooped in built a stud offense, and won the Lombardi that Dungy should have had multiple times with that team if the offense and Shaun king weren't so atrocious. 

Gruden was exactly what that Bucs team needed and at exactly the right time but calling them a stud offense in being kind.

Vandy likes this

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I can't remember exactly, but I know Dean Spanos didn't have much confidence in Marty at all after not going all the way winning a SB in 2006.

If so about losing Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips as coordinators was why he got fired, that was yet just another bad break for Marty in his cursed plagued NFL coaching career because both Cameron and Phillips left for HC jobs.

1 hour ago, falconfan5832 said:

Gruden a Super Bowl with the D Tony Dungy built.What did he do after that?

In all fairness Tony Dungy went to the superbowl the same year with the team Gruden built

6 minutes ago, LouDog said:

In all fairness Tony Dungy went to the superbowl the same year with the team Gruden built

Dungy went to the Colts after being outed as Bucs HC.

10 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I can't remember exactly, but I know Dean Spanos didn't have much confidence in Marty at all after not going all the way winning a SB in 2006.

If so about losing Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips as coordinators was why he got fired, that was yet just another bad break for Marty in his cursed plagued NFL coaching career because both Cameron and Phillips left for HC jobs.

I don’t remember specifically about the coordinators but I remember that 3 point home loss to New England in the divisional round after that 14-2 season where they were the best team in football sealed his fate. That and him and the GM weren’t even talking by that point. The writing was on the wall.

Osiruz and DawnOfThemBirds like this

14 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Gruden was exactly what that Bucs team needed and at exactly the right time but calling them a stud offense in being kind.

Considering the talent he worked miracles. No one even knew Brad Johnson played football prior to that year. 

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I don’t remember specifically about the coordinators but I remember that 3 point home loss to New England in the divisional round after that 14-2 season where they were the best team in football sealed his fate. That and him and the GM weren’t even talking by that point. The writing was on the wall.

Yep

Only to realize now that Spanos should've fired AJ Smith back then.

6 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Dungy went to the Colts after being outed as Bucs HC.

**** coulda swore he went to the raiders. Either way the raiders went with the talent Gruden built

Osiruz and DawnOfThemBirds like this

3 minutes ago, Embrace the suck said:

Considering the talent he worked miracles. No one even knew Brad Johnson played football prior to that year. 

No doubt. There was a lot more of an offensive philosophy there; the scheme was more diverse and they played better in the playoffs.

Osiruz likes this

3 minutes ago, LouDog said:

**** coulda swore he went to the raiders. Either way the raiders went with the talent Gruden built

Should have beat the pats as well if it wasn't for a BS call. 

Iron Saint and LouDog like this

6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

They lost 2 games the season before and lost to the Pats by 3 points.

And let's remember one very important thing.  That Pats team didn't lose a game that season.... until the Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That was to the 2007 Pats that didn't lose a game in the regular season.

Not sure the Chargers were thought of as the best team in the NFL in 07.

Schottenheimer was fired after the 2006 season.

2007 was Norv Turner.

Osiruz likes this

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That was to the 2007 Pats that didn't lose a game in the regular season.

Not sure the Chargers were thought of as the best team in the NFL in 07.

The Chargers went 14-2 in 2006, the year before the Pats went 16-0.

I remember that home playoff loss to New England and LT got heated cuz they were mocking Shawne Merriman’s dance after the game in the middle of the field.

It was the next year, 2007 where they lost in the AFC title game you’re thinking of. Norv Turner was the coach then.

Vandy and Osiruz like this

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

The Chargers went 14-2 in 2006, the year before the Pats went 16-0.

I remember that home playoff loss to New England and LT got heated cuz they were mocking Shawne Merriman’s dance after the game in the middle of the field.

It was the next year, 2007 where they lost in the AFC title game you’re thinking of. Norv Turner was the coach then.

Yep.  After 12 years things get blurry.