Goober Pyle

Falcons - Cardinals gif review

28 posts in this topic

5th one down is not a Murray gem!! It was the Refs screwing the Falcons. Quinn should have been all over the refs on that play alone. 

Heck I was sitting at home going what just happened. Did we have a rule change! One foot down does not make that a catch. 

Edited by high impact

This is a play I've referenced multiple times this week blaming the players being clueless with no football awareness:

Kazee lines up inside of Fitz in the slot. It's basic Cover 4 coverage. Basic, high school level stuff. At the snap, he's more concerned about getting to the flat zone outside the numbers than recognizing the threat in his area. As a result, he's guarding absolutely nobody and leaves Oliver and Rico to make up the gap. Clear break down in coverage on something so simple as just identifying and acknowledging a threat. Nothing pulled Kazee out there to force him outside the numbers. The outside WR is already Oliver's responsibility. Him sprinting out there is solely a "Do my job first, then find the football". They aren't playing football, they are just running plays and offenses see it and are just waiting for them to make a mistake and capitalize. 

I feel bad for DQ because no coach can overcome this type of stuff. That's 100% on Kazee. 

I honestly don't know how they can call Beasley for holding on that play....there was mutual grabbing.

And I really do not like the horse collar rule as it is applied there because Vic never drug him down using his body weight... I can understand if Vic grabs and pulled him down using his body weight but he just simply pulled now with his arm so I really do not like that rule for that

quickzero likes this

I appreciate the effort you put into this every week goob. Unfortunately, now when I start to watch these gifs and read the descriptions, I get hotter than fish grease all over again. Idiotic, obsolete, soft af defensive scheme. Clueless execution by the players.

This team will only win another game or two this season, and those wins will be because our opponent(s) will simply be unable to take this team seriously and mentally won't show up. I see many more L's and many more 50-burgers coming for this defense before this season comes to a merciful end.

These Falcon coaches and players are collectively putting together the most inept, embarrassing and amateurish-looking football since the team's first season. And that, as you can imagine, was laughing-stock level ball. It feels like Rankin Smith's heirs have regained ownership of the team.

Goober Pyle likes this

22 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Still not giving up on Oliver, despite so many shortcomings. He's positioned so well so frequently in man. Not like I think he's a great player. Just nowhere near as bad as the numbers would say this year.

He's an aggressive man corner stuck in a scheme that doesn't play to his strengths. He looked a little better Sunday because he was across from another press man corner in Sheffield, so the scheme called for more plays to their strengths. A new coach and scheme would do wonders for him. He didn't look like this at Colorado. He's got a lot of the traits you want in a boundary corner. He's just trapped in the worst defense for his talents. It's square peg round hole. Never thought I'd see this from DQ. 

29 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Still not giving up on Oliver, despite so many shortcomings. He's positioned so well so frequently in man. Not like I think he's a great player. Just nowhere near as bad as the numbers would say this year.

Yeah...you can see the potential.

He is a 2nd year player getting his first real extended action in the nfl.

People forget that playing in the NFL is ****ing hard and it can take a couple years or more to be good.

He may end up not being anything but after really 7 games (he had one start last year) of extensive game time, it is too early to tell

Why dont we ask the refs to grant the opposing team a new set of Downs on 3rd and short instead of wasting the effort? Seems like DQ gives up before the battle begins. 

I think what bothers me about this is EVERY great QB misses 3-4 passes a game. If this dude Ice misses that many we lose the **** game :bang:

The defense started to play more man D in the second half and we got stops forcing the Cardinals to punt in three consecutive series. The question to me is, if we obviously see that the Falcons defense is struggling with the zone scheme after 4 games, how come we do not go man for most of the time? Also, it seems players like Oliver do better in man-to-man coverage. What am I missing? Is Quinn being stubborn?

To call Mack's play this year mediocre would be a kindness. As bad as Jake Mathews was early on in the year he has actually been pretty good the last several weeks. Mack on the other hand. Also Carpenter and Brown have both been bad, but I think Brown has been a little better. When Lindstrom comes back I wouldn't mind moving Brown to LG in favor or Carpenter. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

30 minutes ago, falcon22 said:

The defense started to play more man D in the second half and we got stops forcing the Cardinals to punt in three consecutive series. The question to me is, if we obviously see that the Falcons defense is struggling with the zone scheme after 4 games, how come we do not go man for most of the time? Also, it seems players like Oliver do better in man-to-man coverage. What am I missing? Is Quinn being stubborn?

Our Linebackers suffer in man coverage. 

14 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

To call Mack's play this year mediocre would be a kindness. As bad as Jake Mathews was early on in the year he has actually been pretty good the last several weeks. Mack on the other hand. Also Carpenter and Brown have both been bad, but I think Brown has been a little better. When Lindstrom comes back I wouldn't mind moving Brown to LG in favor or Carpenter. 

Never understood the Hoopla in TAFT over the brown and carp signings, similar to Fusco the year before. Both have been fringe OL their entire careers. Carp especially is best known for his draft bust status from his Seattle days. 

athell likes this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Never understood the Hoopla in TAFT over the brown and carp signings, similar to Fusco the year before. Both have been fringe OL their entire careers. Carp especially is best known for his draft bust status from his Seattle days. 

Carpenter I did not get...Brown at least seemed to put some solid games together in NY and helped Saquon and that rush game.  Hope he kicks over to the other side once Lindy comes back.

Ugh, watching that fumble replay pisses me off so much.  How they got that wrong in real time let alone REPLAY is beyond me.

falconsd56 and Vandy like this