Jump to content

Do you think Keith Armstrong would make a good head coach for the Falcons?


Recommended Posts

They say that special teams coordinators make good head coaches because they are familiar with offense and defense. They also know how to make lemonade out of lemons when it comes to players. Keith Armstrong seems like an excellent candidate because he is very familiar with our roster and it's tendencies. Him and Matt Ryan would probably work well together. Keith Armstrong also is not afraid to chew you out if you mess up as we saw when they were filming our offseason in 2014. I think his personality is perfect. I hope Arthur Blank will strongly consider Keith Armstrong. Do you guys think Keith Armstrong would make a good head coach for the Falcons? Your thoughts? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

They say that special teams coordinators make good head coaches because they are familiar with offense and defense. They also know how to make lemonade out of lemons when it comes to players. Keith Armstrong seems like an excellent candidate because he is very familiar with our roster and it's tendencies. Him and Matt Ryan would probably work well together. Keith Armstrong also is not afraid to chew you out if you mess up as we saw when they were filming our offseason in 2014. I think his personality is perfect. I hope Arthur Blank will strongly consider Keith Armstrong. Do you guys think Keith Armstrong would make a good head coach for the Falcons? Your thoughts? 

Can't tell if this is purple or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do hope we get an HC that has a stronger personality than the players. However, I don't know if Armstrong is that guy. If the Falcons are just looking to someone that's already on staff, then I  say make Quinn relinquish his DC duties and find the best man (outside of the organization) for the DC position, and keep DQ at HC; it will not likely go down like that though. I only say this because I believe Ryan and the offense are starting to click with Koetter, and I'd hate to see more growing pains with a new OC to go along with the D still trying to find its way. I hate the thought of another losing season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We sure are making big assumptions re: Dan Quinn not being the coach after this season.  

There are 10 games to play and I seriously doubt Blank will suddenly fire him before January.  If Quinn can somehow squeeze out three or four more wins, he quite possibly could get one more shot at it next year.  Blank is probably very unmotivated to start all over again.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, octoslash said:

We sure are making big assumptions re: Dan Quinn not being the coach after this season.  

There are 10 games to play and I seriously doubt Blank will suddenly fire him before January.  If Quinn can somehow squeeze out three or four more wins, he quite possibly could get one more shot at it next year.  Blank is probably very unmotivated to start all over again.  

Blank said there must be improvement before the bye week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I do hope we get an HC that has a stronger personality than the players. However, I don't know if Armstrong is that guy. If the Falcons are just looking to someone that's already on staff, then I  say make Quinn relinquish his DC duties and find the best man (outside of the organization) for the DC position, and keep DQ at HC; it will not likely go down like that though. I only say this because I believe Ryan and the offense are starting to click with Koetter, and I'd hate to see more growing pains with a new OC to go along with the D still trying to find its way. I hate the thought of another losing season.

I would definitely prefer to keep Koetter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I can't remember. I think Chris Mortensen might have reported that. 

Exactly. There is no quote. No one can prove if Mortenson even had a conversation with him or not. When has Blank ever been the type to say that to someone outside of the organization behind closed doors. Not saying it won’t happen because i said it’s very possible going in at 1-7 but I won’t buy anything from someone outside the organization. Mortenson stated what most of us have stated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

What's with all the Keith Armstrong dislike? I think he would make an excellent head coach for the Falcons. He is not afraid to get in your face if you don't play well. He knows our players better than anyone.

Our special teams unit, specifically our kick and punt return teams, was one of the worst in the league under his tenure in my opinion. 

Remember when Andre Roberts went to the Jets in 2018?  He was named All-Pro as a kick returner.  He averaged 29.4 yards per kick return. (Source: https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/04/jets-andre-roberts-ap-all-pro-first-team-jamal-adams-second-team/)

With the Falcons in 2017, Roberts averaged 22.6 yards per kick return.  It also seemed like he would often take the kick out of the endzone, foregoing a touchback, and end up short of the 25 yard line.

This points to blocking scheme on kick returns, and coaching.

Source on stats: http://www.nfl.com/player/andreroberts/497320/careerstats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, falconsfan84 said:

Our special teams unit, specifically our kick and punt return teams, was one of the worst in the league under his tenure in my opinion. 

Remember when Andre Roberts went to the Jets in 2018?  He was named All-Pro as a kick returner.  He averaged 29.4 yards per kick return. (Source: https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/04/jets-andre-roberts-ap-all-pro-first-team-jamal-adams-second-team/)

With the Falcons in 2017, Roberts averaged 22.6 yards per kick return.  It also seemed like he would often take the kick out of the endzone, foregoing a touchback, and end up short of the 25 yard line.

This points to blocking scheme on kick returns, and coaching.

Source on stats: http://www.nfl.com/player/andreroberts/497320/careerstats

Forget all that, we are talking about the Special Teams coach. Not the OC, not the DC, not the d-line coach, the reciever coach. The freaking special teams coach. It's like saying, "who should we hire to be the next CEO?... Another teams CEO? The CFO? The CTO? the CMO??? No,I know! how about the IT manager we fired last year?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Forget all that, we are talking about the Special Teams coach. Not the OC, not the DC, not the d-line coach, the reciever coach. The freaking special teams coach. It's like saying, "who should we hire to be the next CEO?... Another teams CEO? The CFO? The CTO? the CMO??? No,I know! how about the IT manager we fired last year?"

John Harbaugh.

To compare them to IT is just stupid and lazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

John Harbaugh.

To compare them to IT is just stupid and lazy.

He was coach of special teams and defensive backs. He started coaching defensive back because he knew no team was going to give him a shot at HC being a special teams guy exclusively. Has there been another single example of a guy being hired as HC straight from special teams?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Your threads are so cringy, I'm not sure if you're messing with people here. Armstrong is more Rah rah than quinn. He's all talk no substance 

He was interviewed for head coach for the Falcons in 2015 so they did consider him. Teryl Austin was interviewed also so I don't think they interviewed him just because of the Rooney rule. At that time they wanted a defensive minded coach. I admit I don't expect Keith Armstrong to be named head coach but it would be interesting. All the other coaches that might be available don't really excite me. I like the familiarity with Armstrong and the players. He is not a rah rah guy necessarily, he will chew you out if he has to. He is not afraid to raise his voice. My only concern would be like you guys said our special teams were average with him but I would be interested to see if Keith Armstrong would make a good head coach for the Falcons. To see how he would do with offseason moves and scouting. Hopefully Arthur Blank's hiring firm at least takes another look at him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, please God. The Atlanta Falcons need to hire a person that has absolutely no ties to the Falcons. None!! Why? Because we need a fresh voice to come in and preach a fresh message, not the same crap the players have already had drilled through them for years. We also need a fresh set of eyes on this roster to make the tough decisions to get rid of players that should have been cut years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

No, please God. The Atlanta Falcons need to hire a person that has absolutely no ties to the Falcons. None!! Why? Because we need a fresh voice to come in and preach a fresh message, not the same crap the players have already had drilled through them for years. We also need a fresh set of eyes on this roster to make the tough decisions to get rid of players that should have been cut years ago.

I agree, I have not heard anyone mention Gregg Williams as a possibility...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...