2020 Cap Room - What Shape We're In

rudy

So according to this site we have -8M next year and our record currently is 1-5.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2020/

This is assuming Beasley's contract is not counted toward next year since this year is his last on the book.

Think about it... how bad is our current situation. 

There won't be any FA spending on the defense, will have to rely solely on the draft.

SMH

Don’t worry about the Cap thing— teams find many ways to navigate this and the Falcons have done a great job with the Cap.

TRU and Beasley will be gone... We may not keep Clayborn or Allen as well. Freeman is still serviceable, but too much dead money if cut. I think Freeman will be here next year, unless they can package a trade to move him. 

Mack could be extended lowering his Cap hit—he still looks good. Sanu is a big question mark, but maybe a casualty. 

The team will be fine with Cap and I’m not worried. 

We're pretty screwed at this point.  Paying Julio, Trufant, and Matthews is biting us bigtime.  ~50% of our cap is eaten up by 5 players.  You can't rebuild with that on the table.  We NEVER should have given Julio another contract.  We should have traded him, Herschel Walker style.  Then we could have rebuilt.  Now, we're just screwed for the next 3 years.

TD has to go.  He overpays big names.  We brought him in here hoping that he'd bring some of that New England intelligence with him, but all he has done is overpaid for popular players.

He got one thing right while he was here, he drafted Matt Ryan.  Just about every important decision since then has been garbage.

3 minutes ago, robertap said:

We're pretty screwed at this point.  Paying Julio, Trufant, and Matthews is biting us bigtime.  ~50% of our cap is eaten up by 5 players.  You can't rebuild with that on the table.  We NEVER should have given Julio another contract.  We should have traded him, Herschel Walker style.  Then we could have rebuilt.  Now, we're just screwed for the next 3 years.

TD has to go.  He overpays big names.  We brought him in here hoping that he'd bring some of that New England intelligence with him, but all he has done is overpaid for popular players.

He got one thing right while he was here, he drafted Matt Ryan.  Just about every important decision since then has been garbage.

You have to pay your LT unless you want your QB to end up like David Carr. 

53 minutes ago, stingbee said:

Don’t worry about the Cap thing— teams find many ways to navigate this and the Falcons have done a great job with the Cap.

TRU and Beasley will be gone... We may not keep Clayborn or Allen as well. Freeman is still serviceable, but too much dead money if cut. I think Freeman will be here next year, unless they can package a trade to move him. 

Mack could be extended lowering his Cap hit—he still looks good. Sanu is a big question mark, but maybe a casualty. 

Thomas Dimitroff is very good with money imo

12 minutes ago, athell said:

Can pretty easily get to $40m under with cuts and restructures.  Not worried about it.  Much more worried about who will be leading this team next year.

You said it. That's the real question in all of this. I'm almost choking on my homer kool-aide and steaming up my rose-colored glasses anticipating who that new HC is I'll be basing all my false hopes, unrealistic expectations and delusions of grandeur on for 2020 and beyond.

Mattie Ice still has at least three good years left, Julio as well and Macke can hang on for at least a couple more seasons. Do I smell Dynasty delayed, but soon to be attained? Somebody please show Quinn to the exit. I'm on to the next.:slick:

2 hours ago, stingbee said:

We could jettison Trufant, Beasley, Clayborn, Freeman, and Allen - and short of Clayborn and Allen - it would probably make this team *better*

3 hours ago, stingbee said:

Freeman is more cuttable than Trufant. Freeman would carry $6M of dead cap while Trufant would have $10M. 

10 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Has your head been in the sand? We got a few veterans we gonna cut/restructure and perhaps even trade.

Just make the right moves and *ahem* draft again.

Yea who you gonna cut?

Beasley contract is not counted toward 2020 cap. If you cut Trufant that's $10M in dead cap.

A lot of our money are tied in big contracts that we just signed last year and this year because we're are in the

so called "WINDOW" to win now. And we've put it all in on Quinn's vision of building this team.

7 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Freeman is more cuttable than Trufant. Freeman would carry $6M of dead cap while Trufant would have $10M. 

II wanted Coleman instead. And frankly I thought the contract that he signed with SF was not that much.

11 hours ago, rudy said:

So according to this site we have -8M next year and our record currently is 1-5.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2020/

This is assuming Beasley's contract is not counted toward next year since this year is his last on the book.

Think about it... how bad is our current situation. 

There won't be any FA spending on the defense, will have to rely solely on the draft.

SMH

How bout for starters can Sportrac and otc and have a look at nflpa website I think there figures are closer to the truth.

Do you really think what the cap looks like now is what it’s going to look like next off season.

To many variables to get your panties in a bunch right now.

9 hours ago, FalconAge said:

I think TD is done, but when your owner marks multiple players as "Falcons For Life" your hands are pretty tied...

Yep. It all starts at the top and ppl refuse to see or care. Blank is a big reason this team is what it is. Cares too much ab making players “falcons for life”. I’ll take wins over loyalty in sports any day. It’s ******* business nobody owes anyone anything. Do you care more ab the logo on the front or the name on the back? Should be an easy answer. (Speaking in general of course not trying to single you out lol)

20 minutes ago, rudy said:

Yea who you gonna cut?

Beasley contract is not counted toward 2020 cap. If you cut Trufant that's $10M in dead cap.

A lot of our money are tied in big contracts that we just signed last year and this year because we're are in the

so called "WINDOW" to win now. And we've put it all in on Quinn's vision of building this team.

New coach next year. Not a major rebuild.

See thread:

22 hours ago, stingbee said:

If you don't want the dead money for Freeman, you definitely don't want the dead money for Trufant.  We have less ability to replace Tru than we do Freeman, i'm pretty sure Trufant will be on the team in 2020.