Draft Shakeup: Jags trade up to #1 for their franchise QB

XXVIII-III

6 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I think they need to keep riding Minschew and see how that goes.  He's only had one bad game and is a rookie.

Yeah that's the best option IMO as well. If anything they need to get him a TE and 1 more capable receiving option alongside DJ Chark and that offense will be solid as long as Fournette can stay healthy

4 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I think they need to keep riding Minschew and see how that goes.  He's only had one bad game and is a rookie.

He came in and no one had any film on him.

You see this all the time.  QB comes in and has a couple of good games because there isn't any film on him.

The defensive coordinators, (not named Quinn), begin to figure them out and the honeymoon is over.

It's really as simple as the 1st DC figures out what they struggle with all following defenses copy.  Quinn is a little revolutionary in that he figures out what the opposing QB is really good at and keeps doing that over and over.  He's the opposing QB whisperer.

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You see this all the time.  QB comes in and has a couple of good games because there isn't any film on him.

The defensive coordinators, (not named Quinn), begin to figure them out and the honeymoon is over.

It's really as simple as the 1st DC figures out what they struggle with all following defenses copy.  Quinn is a little revolutionary in that he figures out what the opposing QB is really good at and keeps doing that over and over.  He's the opposing QB whisperer.

Or the QB continues to do good. You see that happen too. Wilson, Mahomes, etc. 

Truth is you dont know what you have unless you let him play and try to find out. If you just assume "he will be figured out next year" then you could lose out on a good QB.

They aren't good just because "no one has film on him", otherwise every new QB would do good and that's not the case.

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

Or the QB continues to do good. You see that happen too. Wilson, Mahomes, etc. 

Truth is you dont know what you have unless you let him play and try to find out. If you just assume "he will be figured out next year" then you could lose out on a good QB.

They aren't good just because "no one has film on him", otherwise every new QB would do good and that's not the case.

True but more times than not it's the lack of familiarity.

I call it the 'back-up QB syndrome.'  I figured this out with Doug Johnson.

And yes you let the guys play to see what they can do.  Do they make improvements?  Do they identify what they struggle with and work to correct it?

Also to be fair Wilson and Mahomes bring other things to the table.  Mahomes was a 1st round pick so they were going to stick with him and Wilson just had something special and you could see that at NC State.

As for 'the Mustache' maybe he'll be good... maybe he'll be just another guy.  Like you said they need to let him play to find out.  I'm thinking he'll start looking more and more like a rookie... until he plays the Falcons.  Then he'll look like Tom Montana, (mythical child between Tom Brady and Joe Montana).

7 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Film or not, if a qb is good he's good. Coaches have film on several QB's that have been in the league for numbers of years yet every single year when a rookie comes in and plays decently, some of you say the exact same things. It's almost as if there's no reason for any player to ever step in as a starter for any given reason. Coaches have plenty of tape on Lamar Jackson yet they still can't prevent him from running all over the field. Can I mention Kyle Allen in Carolina, who very well may be the new full time starter for Carolina unless they want to cater to Cam's needs.

If Minschew turns out to be a bust he turns out to be a bust. Saying it's gonna end because there's tape on him is the most cliché thing that can be said when you don't like the player or know much about the player yourself. He deserves an opportunity just like everyone else including Foles. 

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Film or not, if a qb is good he's good. Coaches have film on several QB's that have been in the league for numbers of years yet every single year when a rookie comes in and plays decently, some of you say the exact same things. It's almost as if there's no reason for any player to ever step in as a starter for any given reason. Coaches have plenty of tape on Lamar Jackson yet they still can't prevent him from running all over the field. Can I mention Kyle Allen in Carolina, who very well may be the new full time starter for Carolina unless they want to cater to Cam's needs.

If Minschew turns out to be a bust he turns out to be a bust. Saying it's gonna end because there's tape on him is the most cliché thing that can be said when you don't like the player or know much about the player yourself. He deserves an opportunity just like everyone else including Foles. 

Sure he deserves every opportunity just like every QB in the NFL that gets a shot.

I'm just playing the odds.

For every guy you mention theres a:

Doug Johnson,  Kurt Kittner, Joey Harrington, Brian Hoyer, Case Keenum, Chad Henne, Tyrod Taylor, Chase Daniels, Matt Barkley, Aj McCarron, Mike Glennon, Blaine Gabbert, Drew Stanton, etc and the list goes on and on and on and on.

14 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Sure he deserves every opportunity just like every QB in the NFL that gets a shot.

Doug Johnson,  Kurt Kittner, Joey Harrington, Brian Hoyer, Case Keenum, Chad Henne, Tyrod Taylor, Chase Daniels, Matt Barkley, Aj McCarron, Mike Glennon, Blaine Gabbert, Drew Stanton, etc and the list goes on and on and on and on.

What? Most of that list absolutely sucked in the beginning and never had a good year. Get out of here with that lol.

11 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And all those guys you named were mostly bad quarterbacks. Has nothing to do with coaches having film on them. Dude was a 6th round pick with less talent than some of the big name qb's in the league and is having success. that in itself is very special. As was said earlier, his worst game came against the Saints. He doesn't have the liberty of having players like JJ, CR, MS and AH to throw to. He's throwing to guys who aren't even established themselves. The better the defenses, that factoid alone is going to standout. He isn't Tom Brady and never will be. But him and even Foles needs more talent outside of Chark to throw too 

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

And all those guys you named were mostly bad quarterbacks. Has nothing to do with coaches having film on them. Dude was a 6th round pick with less talent than some of the big name qb's in the league and is having success. that in itself is very special. As was said earlier, his worst game came against the Saints. He doesn't have the liberty of having players like JJ, CR, MS and AH to throw to. He's throwing to guys who aren't even established themselves. The better the defenses, that factoid alone is going to standout. He isn't Tom Brady and never will be. But him and even Foles needs more talent outside of Chark to throw too 

Dude lit it up last year. I was surprised he didnt get more attention. 

2 minutes ago, The Architect said:

They'll probably get Jeudy over a QB

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

I could see that. As @ya_boi_j said they need another target for Minshew.

That would be a **** of a pick. Add a quality TE and their offense will be legit. Doesn't have to be a superstar or anything but someone who can simply make plays similar to Hooper. 

6 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

What? Most of that list absolutely sucked in the beginning and never had a good year. Get out of here with that lol.

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

OK so I just pulled a list of backup QBs and went with some off the top of my head.  Would Josh Freeman, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryan Hoyer, or Case Keenum be more in line?  

Case Keenum had a decent season with the Vikings.  Seriously guys.  How could you forget this?

Anyway,  like I said I'm just going by the odds.  I haven't seen Mishnew except for one game so he may end up being decent.  I'm pretty sure he'll look like an all Pro when he plays the Falcons.

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

OK so I just pulled a list of backup QBs and went with some off the top of my head.  Would Josh Freeman, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryan Hoyer, or Case Keenum be more in line?  

Case Keenum had a decent season with the Vikings.  Seriously guys.  How could you forget this?

Anyway,  like I said I'm just going by the odds.  I haven't seen Mishnew except for one game so he may end up being decent.  I'm pretty sure he'll look like an all Pro when he plays the Falcons.

Keenum had one good year late in his career. He didnt start hot and then suck after "coaches got film" like you claimed. 

Freeman, Fitz, and Hoyer also all sucked in the beginning.

2 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Keenum had one good year late in his career. He didnt start hot and then suck after "coaches got film" like you claimed. 

Freeman, Fitz, and Hoyer also all sucked in the beginning.

ok, you win.  I could be wrong about Mishnew.

We'll see how he does the rest of the year.

However Jags still have that Foles contract to deal with.

18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And you still don't realize that film has nothing to do with them flat out being bad QB's. Trying to make that argument isn't going to help your case at all naming quarterbacks that weren't that good to begin with