Why is Ishmael still playing SS over Neasman?

Ergo Proxy

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm still trying to figure out why McDonald or Iloka wasn't signed. And whatever happened to the dude they said had good practices as for the  reasoning behind not signing them. My initial guess was they couldn't afford either

I mean we even traded for Cyprien. Like...clearly you didn’t want Ish back there after Wilcox forced him to be EMERGENCY SS only.

Meanwhile, Neas stuck behind Rico at FS instead of just being slid back over to SS...

When our coverages are the worst thing we got going due to the lack of pass rush as well!

Tru, Vic, Oliver so far, and Ish are killing this defense. Takk gets close like Grady but they need a 3rd guy cleaning up pressures into sacks.

Get a lead, get in your Nickel with 4 down linemen and Takk/Vic with their hands in the dirt/3 point stance and maybe you got a shot!

Ish on the field in ANYTHING but Base D and box role is just dumb.

With all the lapses in coverage this year - especially since Keanu went down - it's makes absolutely no sense to keep running the same guys out there hoping they don't screw it up. Look at the snaps played this week. Ish didn't come off the field AT ALL.....Neasman played 1 snap, Grace played 1 snap.....I get DQ wanting to bet on himself, but you'd think he'd try to enhance that bet with a better hand...

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-atl-6.php

2019-10-15 (2).png

16 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I mean we even traded for Cyprien. Like...clearly you didn’t want Ish back there after Wilcox forced him to be EMERGENCY SS only.

Meanwhile, Neas stuck behind Rico at FS instead of just being slid back over to SS...

When our coverages are the worst thing we got going due to the lack of pass rush as well!

Tru, Vic, Oliver so far, and Ish are killing this defense. Takk gets close like Grady but they need a 3rd guy cleaning up pressures into sacks.

Get a lead, get in your Nickel with 4 down linemen and Takk/Vic with their hands in the dirt/3 point stance and maybe you got a shot!

Ish on the field in ANYTHING but Base D and box role is just dumb.

I wouldn't have even traded for Cyprien man. His glory days were over 3 years ago but if i'm being honest, he was an upgrade over Ishmael. The injury was unfortunate. But I still would have liked for them to sign one of those other 2 established players or at least give the guy who was mentioned a chance instead of running with Ish.

38 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Are you kidding....Sharod gets flagged for just looking at the field! /Purp

I love Sharod and don't know why he doesn't get more playing time. 

However, with us playing more 2lb sets, and having Grace on the side, I don't know why we haven't tried Olo to replace Neal. I mean he's get the size/speed and College experience as SS. They also touted him for learning the playbook overnight (or something insanely quick). If he was being cross trained, he would already be on the field IMO. This would also put Ish back to the LBs as backup. 

It seems to me almost like we are keeping Ish on the field because we didn't try him last year. I agree with giving him a shot but, it's time to get him out of a coverage position and get him back to the line or the bench. 

33 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

Are you kidding....Sharod gets flagged for just looking at the field! /Purp

I love Sharod and don't know why he doesn't get more playing time. 

However, with us playing more 2lb sets, and having Grace on the side, I don't know why we haven't tried Olo to replace Neal. I mean he's get the size/speed and College experience as SS. They also touted him for learning the playbook overnight (or something insanely quick). If he was being cross trained, he would already be on the field IMO. This would also put Ish back to the LBs as backup. 

It seems to me almost like we are keeping Ish on the field because we didn't try him last year. I agree with giving him a shot but, it's time to get him out of a coverage position and get him back to the line or the bench. 

Because this isn't madden

Neasman not getting a chance after last season is a head scratcher.  Did DQ forget why moving Ish to reserve LB was a good idea?  He's a good tackler and physical but only if he can catch up.  Heck I'd rather put Grace or Foye back there than him. 

Also, we're not playing Graham and got two perfectly good backs and a 3rd Rounder (who has been decent in action) in street clothes every week.  I don't know if we find any more success but they won't get better on the sidelines and I'll swallow an L on young rookie mistakes more than vets.

Honestly, it doesn't matter who we trot out there on defense right now because it's all bad.  This defense has given up.  I'm telling you, when I saw Deion Jones let Chase Edmonds walk in for a score it was final confirmation for me that these players have quit on Dan Quinn.  And not that it hasn't played out that way since the Philly game, but I turned to the older Falcon fan next to me after that play and went "DJ just gave up on that play..."  He looked at me with this confused look and replied "Wait...that was 45?"  I said "Yup, DJ just gave up on that play..." and we both watched the replay in silence and shook our heads.

Dan Quinn is going out in remarkably bad fashion.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm still trying to figure out why McDonald or Iloka wasn't signed. And whatever happened to the dude they said had good practices as for the  reasoning behind not signing them. My initial guess was they couldn't afford either

Blank probably told them nope...work with what you have

18 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

Ah yes, suggesting a guy who played SS in college  might be able to play SS in the NFL is absurd. 

it is. SS in college are more pass defenders. SS in the NFL is more run support. That is a huge simplification but the roles are not congruent due to the proliferation of spread. 

16 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

it is. SS in college are more pass defenders. SS in the NFL is more run support. That is a huge simplification but the roles are not congruent due to the proliferation of spread. 

So you're saying when drafting your future SS, you're not looking at guys who played SS in School....?

I'm sure there are a million nuances to how the position is played from College to the NFL but, You're telling me an Ivy league guy can't learn them and also a player who's stout in run and fast enough to play in coverage is not worth a shot when we are putting Ish out their every week? 

22 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

So you're saying when drafting your future SS, you're not looking at guys who played SS in School....?

I'm sure there are a million nuances to how the position is played from College to the NFL but, You're telling me an Ivy league guy can't learn them and also a player who's stout in run and fast enough to play in coverage is not worth a shot when we are putting Ish out their every week? 

Does he know how to play SS in this scheme? Can he in a matter of days? Nope.this isnt madden

I still don't know if DQ is not well. Is it denial? Why can't he see it? Neasman should best starting. We should have taken a chanceonone of the two veterans Safeties that tried out. They couldn't have done worse. Grace should be playing. Graham should be playing more. Hage can do better and make more plays. Larkin and Cominskyshould get some of Vic minutes Cooper never should have been cut. Ellison should get some minutes. When it is wrong at least try and  fix it! But he just sits looking dumbfounded. Wishing and hoping he and TD are not willing to change. This is why  I believe he isn't well and needs to be evaluated. Or something or someone is trying to set him up to fail. What did he say "We have to work on stop giving up big plays." Really???? This was a team that was expected to go deep in the playoffs. Something is very wrong!

52 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

i am not did not say that at all. I am saying assuming that SS in college, and SS in NFL are not congruent. To say that he should be able to play this because in the past he did this is a fallacy. Same fallacy that landed Ish in the position he is in now. "Because he did it before and was ok he should be ok now" data shows that is not true.