Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g-dawg

Sneak Peak at 2020 NFL Draft - Atlanta Falcons #3 overall pick

113 posts in this topic

Falcons stand 1-5.    If the season ended today they would have the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

1. Miami Dolphins (0-5)
  2. Cincinnati Bengals (0-6)
  3. Atlanta Falcons (1-5)
  4. Washington Redskins (1-5)
  5. NY Jets (1-4)

Clearly the Falcons won't be drafting a QB in this draft both Miami and Cincinnati likely will.   This bodes well for the Falcons as they could be set up to draft the best non-QB and position player in the draft.  Let's go ahead and get the first two picks out of the way and then discuss our hapless Falcons

2020 NFL Draft:

1.  Miami Dolphins - QB Tua Tagovailoa AlabamaImage result for tua tagovailoa

2. Cincinnati Bengals - QB Justin Herbert, Oregon

Image result for justin herbert

Now, onto the Falcons.   As we can see, there are a multitude of needs.   The only areas on the team that don't need upgrading for starters is QB, WR, and TE.   Everything else is up for grabs (excluding LS, PK or P which aren't draftable positions).     While the Offensive Line has been mostly AWFUL, it should improve with the return of Chris Lindstrom and the continued development of him and Kaleb McGary.   Jake Matthews is what he is - an adequate LT paid like a great one.   We will need to try and squeeze one more year out of Alex Mack.

The 911-Emergency Needs for this team are finding passrushers and cornerbacks.   Trufant is another average corner paid like an almost elite one but he may have to be maintained for another season unless Falcons go "full re-build" mode - which I doubt they will opt for that direction.    Right now Isaiah Oliver looks like a bust but so did Robert Alford his first few years before he turned into a **** good corner - will Oliver?  perhaps not but I believe him to be kept and hopefully developed.   Jordan Miller could eventually be developed.   Nevertheless Cornerback is a huge need.

I am a full believer that you build your defense front-to-back though and not back-to-front.   When you have a passrush, you have options.    Quinn has tried to build a passrush with undersized guys w/ speed in Beasley(6'3", 245lbs) and McKinley(6'2", 250lbs) - neither of those guys are stout at the POA and Beasley especially cannot rush the passer.   McKinley is a decent  rotational passrush piece but nothing more than that at this point.    While some of the premier passrushers in the game have similar size (Khalil Mack/Von Miller) - those guys are special and rare.    I believe Falcons need to look for Defensive Ends w/ a little more size and bully to their game.   I would like to see guys more like Cameron Jordan, Myles Garrett, Frank Clark, Bradley Chubb, Justin Houston, Joey Bosa, Nick Bosa, etc....We need glass eating tough guys to man the edges of our defensive line and who won't be bullied.   We need defensive ends that are just as likely to make a play versus the run in a TFL as a sack.

"With the 3rd pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select...CHASE YOUNG, Defensive End - Ohio State"

Image result for roger goodell announcing falcons pick

Image result for chase young sack 2019Image result for chase young sack 2019

Chase Young, DE - Ohio State (6'5", 265lbs)  - scouting report below by The Draft Network

PROS: Ready made body compositions from day one. Impressive physique that includes bulky arms and long, but filled out lower half. Athleticism is evident and has the frame to match the explosiveness that he shows frequently. As a run defender, he sets a firm edge by executing full arm extensions in order to keep contain on the perimeter. Employs a versatile repertoire of moves that he uses at a sporadic rate that keeps blockers off balance. Is able to win from a multitude of platforms and is not just an outside rush. Has the versatility to slide down inside on late passing down situations and still experience high amounts of success. 

Well diversed and educated on the nuances of hand-to-hand combat and just how he can win in this department. Hand violence and authority behind them have blossomed over his collegiate career. Loves to use a “hump” move to overpower blockers after setting them up with an inside-out or outside-in stutter step to get them off balance.

CONS: Feet can become semi-heavy, but he shows to have an above average first-step. When able to win the corner, he has the hips in order to dip, bend, and flatline to the quarterback. When not able to gain the upfield shoulder of offensive tackles, there are some struggles of being able to reset the corner prior to the engagement point. This is where he can become a body magnet and grapple with blockers before ever being able to execute a counter move. 

Even though Young shows that he has success with attacking certain portions of blockers, there’s a sense of panic when unable to reach target areas. When unable to reach these body portions while rushing, he will relegate immediately to a bull rush, attacking straight down the chest of blockers. Having a limited success rate with this tactic and it’s clear that it’s not one of his strongest suits. 

Updated: 7/29/19

I think we’re actually 4th overall with Washington ahead of us. At least that’s what I’ve been seeing from every other source. Even with that, I think chase young may be available, unless Miami takes him. Young is the guy I want as well. 

Cole World and g-dawg like this

2 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I think we’re actually 4th overall with Washington ahead of us. At least that’s what I’ve been seeing from every other source. Even with that, I think chase young may be available, unless Miami takes him. Young is the guy I want as well. 

There isn’t a chance in hades that Miami selects anything other than a QB - same for Bengals if both QBs in this draft.

Cole World likes this

Just now, g-dawg said:

There isn’t a chance in hades that Miami selects anything other than a QB - same for Bengals if both QBs in this draft.

I wouldn’t say that. Dolphins have almost no talent on the roster. I wouldn’t want to put a rookie QB in that situation. If I were them, I’d just stack up on other areas and try to take Trevor Lawrence next. That or let Rosen have a real chance at getting the job. That’s what the dolphins should do if they were actually smart. 

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

I wouldn’t say that. Dolphins have almost no talent on the roster. I wouldn’t want to put a rookie QB in that situation. If I were them, I’d just stack up on other areas and try to take Trevor Lawrence next. That or let Rosen have a real chance at getting the job. That’s what the dolphins should do if they were actually smart. 

No sir.   The hardest position to fill is QB.   The Dolphins decided in offseason to tank for Tua (or Herbert).   There is no guarantee they will be as bad in 2020 and that is a lifetime to wait for Trevor Lawrence.   As good as Lawrence is, he has looked Less than as a Sophomore.  Basically coaches and GMs are hired to be fired and current coach/GM get 2-3 year window with a new QB.   Tua has crazy good arm talent and I look for him to be the pick.  He is a little on the skinny side but don’t see that as too big a worry.   Herbert is the prototype and could be considered as well.

vel, Cole World and Godzilla1985 like this

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No sir.   The hardest position to fill is QB.   The Dolphins decided in offseason to tank for Tua (or Herbert).   There is no guarantee they will be as bad in 2020 and that is a lifetime to wait for Trevor Lawrence.   As good as Lawrence is, he has looked Less than as a Sophomore.  Basically coaches and GMs are hired to be fired and current coach/GM get 2-3 year window with a new QB.   Tua has crazy good arm talent and I look for him to be the pick.  He is a little on the skinny side but don’t see that as too big a worry.   Herbert is the prototype and could be considered as well.

If that’s the case, I feel very sorry for Tua. He’s gonna be thrown into the lions den bare naked with no tools to save him. Dude could end up a bust and it wouldn’t even be his fault. 

So we will draft another pass rushing DE in the 1st? Why will he not be a bust like Takk and Vik?

We gotta address our interior DL cause until we do any DE will draft here will fail.

Just now, vel said:

Sign me up for:

Chase Young
Derrick Brown
Grant Delpit
Isaiah Simmons
Tyler Biadasz
Raekwon Davis

Just not a fan of drafting safeties - not w/ the way the game is going on hitting.   Falcons might have dodged a bullet w/ Keanu Neal getting hurt because the way the game is officiated now, the enforcers are getting legislated out of the game.

I could be swayed for Derrick Brown but just believe Chase Young has more opportunity to affect the QB - Young probably has the higher ceiling and Brown the higher floor.

2 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

If that’s the case, I feel very sorry for Tua. He’s gonna be thrown into the lions den bare naked with no tools to save him. Dude could end up a bust and it wouldn’t even be his fault. 

yeah that was probably the conventional wisdom when Falcons drafted Matt Ryan as well.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Just not a fan of drafting safeties - not w/ the way the game is going on hitting.   Falcons might have dodged a bullet w/ Keanu Neal getting hurt because the way the game is officiated now, the enforcers are getting legislated out of the game.

I could be swayed for Derrick Brown but just believe Chase Young has more opportunity to affect the QB - Young probably has the higher ceiling and Brown the higher floor.

I disagree to a point. If they are drafting #3, no. But if they somehow win some games and land 8-10, take him. Derwin James has provided miles more value than Vita Vea in the NFL. 

Right now, those are my top six for this team assuming they are picking top 12. 

Schwarzwald and MSalmon like this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

yeah that was probably the conventional wisdom when Falcons drafted Matt Ryan as well.

Perhaps, but we weren’t a completely god awful team like the 2019 dolphins back in 2007. Heck, that falcons team might be better than this years team lol. Unless Brian Flores turns out to be a great HC, I can’t see it being a good thing for Tua, or any QB really, going to Miami next year. Unless you’re talking about how Miami passed on Matt in 2008, in that case I’d say there’s no telling on if Matt would be who he is today if that happened. That 2007 dolphins team was not much better than the team they have this year. 

Schwarzwald likes this

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

So we will draft another pass rushing DE in the 1st? Why will he not be a bust like Takk and Vik?

We gotta address our interior DL cause until we do any DE will draft here will fail.

Did you read what I wrote before the pick?  Chase Young is 265lbs NOW and will likely play his career between 270-275lbs.   Vic and Takk are in the 240-250 range NOW.    Different type of players altogether.   Go back and re-read what I wrote and then comment please.

6 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

If they get the Tua of this year who just takes what the defense gives him, he will be fine. If they get the Tua that is too risky downfield.

The Dolphins have loads of picks, so I wouldn’t be shocked if they try and get one of Tua’s good buddies (Devonta Smith). The Dolphins have enough picks to not be total garbage this year, but it’s still going to be a long rebuild 

Atlantafan21 likes this

1 minute ago, vel said:

I disagree to a point. If they are drafting #3, no. But if they somehow win some games and land 8-10, take him. Derwin James has provided miles more value than Vita Vea in the NFL. 

Right now, those are my top six for this team assuming they are picking top 12. 

Don't think Delpit is in same category as Derwin James.    So few safeties are actually special.   We need corners more than safeties.  I like the corner from Ohio State as well - no one has mentioned him yet - Jeff Okudah - would take him all day over Delpit.  Positional value much greater as well.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Don't think Delpit is in same category as Derwin James.    So few safeties are actually special.   We need corners more than safeties.  I like the corner from Ohio State as well - no one has mentioned him yet - Jeff Okudah - would take him all day over Delpit.  Positional value much greater as well.

People said the same about James. Which is why he fell.

All I'm saying is the Falcons need defensive playmakers. If the DL are gone, Simmons and Delpit are next up on my list. You can throw a corner in there, but I'm not putting corner up there until we see what the next group does with Tru, Oliver, Sheffield, etc. There is a bigger question mark on if Neal will even be a Falcon in 2020. 

5 minutes ago, vel said:

People said the same about James. Which is why he fell.

All I'm saying is the Falcons need defensive playmakers. If the DL are gone, Simmons and Delpit are next up on my list. You can throw a corner in there, but I'm not putting corner up there until we see what the next group does with Tru, Oliver, Sheffield, etc. There is a bigger question mark on if Neal will even be a Falcon in 2020. 

EVERYONE that had a lick of sense knew Tampa made the wrong call there w/ Vea over James.   I was never a believer in the hype of Vea and what made James special was he was extremely physical but was terrific at coverage.  It was a weird draft overall and James should have gone in the 8-10 range - which is about as good as you can hope for as a safety.

If Falcons were drafting outside the top 10 and Delpit fell and was the best player - then I would be open to it but I don't believe that to be the best way to go.  If I'm drafting a safety in the top 10, he needs to be Earl Young or Eric Berry in their prime good - erasers on the back end.   Delpit is not in that category in my estimation.

Schwarzwald likes this

45 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

you are technically correct (even though they have same record) - however, Redskins actually have talent on defense and I believe they can eek out one more win than the Falcons the rest of the way ....  stay tuned!

Atlantafan21 likes this

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

you are technically correct (even though they have same record) - however, Redskins actually have talent on defense and I believe they can eek out one more win than the Falcons the rest of the way ....  stay tuned!

Even if they pick ahead of us, I don’t think Chase Young fits their scheme anyway unless they want to convert him into a 3-4 OLB. 

g-dawg likes this

8 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I don’t want DQ no where near this draft!  

Don't think DQ will be around for the 2020 draft - the only question is will Thomas Dimitroff be around for it?   I don't see Dimitroff surviving either - while TD isn't great, he's not terrible either - we could do much worse.    The scary part is Arthur making the hire - or who he would put in charge of making the hire.

blkbigdog35 and JDaveG like this

31 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Did you read what I wrote before the pick?  Chase Young is 265lbs NOW and will likely play his career between 270-275lbs.   Vic and Takk are in the 240-250 range NOW.    Different type of players altogether.   Go back and re-read what I wrote and then comment please.

Takk is 265 I thought.