Goober Pyle

One good idea followed by one really BAD idea...

57 posts in this topic

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/15/nfl-trade-deadline-buyers-sellers?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social

I linked the whole article, but only pasted what applies to us. Trading Beasley (if someone would take him) is a way to get something from a huge nothing. Trading Hoop is something I'd never even considered.....and don't really want to. 

SELLERS

Atlanta Falcons (1–5)

Tradable Assets: EDGE Vic Beasley, TE Austin Hooper

Beasley and Hooper are two players on expiring contracts who could be valuable in the right system. I’m not ready to turn the lights out on the Dan Quinn regime despite their truly puzzling performance in 2019. However, absent a minor winning streak in the coming weeks, they need to start thinking about their long-term financial plan and which players fit into that plan. Both could yield a solid return beyond the compensatory refund next year.

I would say cut Sanu and pay Hoops if we can’t grab a  good TE in the later rounds of the draft. He is leading Receiver on this team after 6 weeks only trailing Kelcee among TE. 
Vic will probably yield a comp pick.,

Ergo Proxy and rogueleadersf like this

Hooper is the only consistent offensive performer each and every week. Why should the Falcons get rid of him? That's one of the dumbest things I've seen yet. You keep producers. 

I forgot there's a good chance there will be a new regime come next season. New coach and GM(potentially) aren't obligated to keep anyone who isn't already locked in with a loaded contract

11 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Hooper is the only consistent offensive performer each and every week. Why should the Falcons get rid of him? That's one of the dumbest things I've seen yet. You keep producers. 

I forgot there's a good chance there will be a new regime come next season. New coach and GM(potentially) aren't obligated to keep anyone who isn't already locked in with a loaded contract

You keep producers if they are not asking for big money.  No clue what Hoop is going to demand, but if it's too much, you trade him away, like we should have done with Freeman and Julio. 

You keep QB's and you make sure that the rest of the team is solid.  Spread that salary cap around so that there's no obvious weaknesses, such as, a defense that can't stop anyone.

vitaman and Chitown2ATL_Falcon like this

9 minutes ago, robertap said:

You keep producers if they are not asking for big money.  No clue what Hoop is going to demand, but if it's too much, you trade him away, like we should have done with Freeman and Julio. 

You keep QB's and you make sure that the rest of the team is solid.  Spread that salary cap around so that there's no obvious weaknesses, such as, a defense that can't stop anyone.

That only works with the Patriots and because they have Billicheck. You pay for your talent when you have it. 

ATLskinjob likes this

11 minutes ago, robertap said:

Sorry but in this case, that's a no

blkbigdog35 and Ergo Proxy like this

1 hour ago, Goober Pyle said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/15/nfl-trade-deadline-buyers-sellers?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social

I linked the whole article, but only pasted what applies to us. Trading Beasley (if someone would take him) is a way to get something from a huge nothing. Trading Hoop is something I'd never even considered.....and don't really want to. 

SELLERS

Atlanta Falcons (1–5)

Beasley and Hooper are two players on expiring contracts who could be valuable in the right system. I’m not ready to turn the lights out on the Dan Quinn regime despite their truly puzzling performance in 2019. However, absent a minor winning streak in the coming weeks, they need to start thinking about their long-term financial plan and which players fit into that plan. Both could yield a solid return beyond the compensatory refund next year.

Most that Vic will get is whatever comp pick Atlanta gets. Hooper shouldn't be traded but if he is he should be a first round pick minimum.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Hooper so far this season has put himself in conversation for the title of best TE. I would currently argue he’s having the best season out of all of them. First in receptions, second in yards, second in TDs. And like J mentioned above, he’s the only guy we can depend on to perform week in and week out as long as Matt is actually targeting him. I know people don’t want to pay him, but elite players get paid elite money, and that’s what Hooper has elevated his game to. 

I like hooper a lot but if we can't afford him we might need to think about it if we can get a good pick for him...

The only 2 legit resources we have on D is Grady and Deion.... We need to add MAJOR resources there thru FA and the draft

FL Falcon and vitaman like this

Imagine trading a 24 year old TE coming right into his prime and performing like a top five player at his position right now. Hooper is tied for the most TDs at the position and the second most yards. TD should be fired on the spot if he does that, especially given how hard it is to find TEs. 

12 minutes ago, vel said:

Imagine trading a 24 year old TE coming right into his prime and performing like a top five player at his position right now. Hooper is tied for the most TDs at the position and the second most yards. TD should be fired on the spot if he does that, especially given how hard it is to find TEs. 

I agree...unless he got more than market value for him..

Like if TD got a first for Hooper.....that would not be a bad thing.

But unless a team is goinf to sign a long term extension then no one is giving up a first

vitaman likes this

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I agree...unless he got more than market value for him..

Like if TD got a first for Hooper.....that would not be a bad thing.

But unless a team is goinf to sign a long term extension then no one is giving up a first

Exactly. Nobody is trading a first for Hooper. That's the only thing I'd take for him. Not even a second. He's legit. Him, Julio, and Ridley are the future of this offense's passing game. Build accordingly. 

I’ve been thinking don’t extend hooper the past few years, I feel like he will always be good but not great.

im starting to change my mind, he always shows up... puts in the work with Matt in the off season.  Maybe keep him around... just don’t make him the highest paid tight end. 

2 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

SELLERS

Atlanta Falcons (1–5)

While I'd certainly trade Beasley (provided there are any takers), it would be absolutely foolish to trade Hooper. Equally as foolish is not getting rid of Dan Quinn; Connor Orr (the writer) hasn't done his homework.

Edited by 4dabirds

1 hour ago, vel said:

Matt Ryan invested a lot of work into Austin Hooper.

Mularkey has sent him to a new level and we want to let him walk before he is in his prime?

Let go of Freeman, Trufant, Sanu etc way before Hooper.

After Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, Hooper is the most attractive piece to the next coaching staff on offense. Even more so than Ridley so far.

There are plenty of ways to create cap space for the defense and keep Hooper.

vel, Ovie_Lover, MSalmon and 1 other like this

Zach Ertz just got a 5 year, $42.5 million deal. That's around the benchmark for a top tier tight end *considering* Travis Kelce signed a 5 year $46 million contract just a couple years before. Retaining Hooper shouldn't hurt at all unless they decide to make him the highest paid TE. Even then it won't be a killer with the cap rising 10% yearly and a few contracts should be off the books starting next season. There's no reason to let a proven young TE go. Period

10 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Matt Ryan invested a lot of work into Austin Hooper.

Mularkey has sent him to a new level and we want to let him walk before he is in his prime?

Let go of Freeman, Trufant, Sanu etc way before Hooper.

After Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, Hooper is the most attractive piece to the next coaching staff on offense. Even more so than Ridley so far.

There are plenty of ways to create cap space for the defense and keep Hooper.

Yep. That's the easiest route. Move on from the overpriced players that are maxed out. This a rebuild. Focus on the sub-26 year old players you can truly build around and do that. We have had the oldest roster in the league for a few years now. It's a maxed out group. Make some changes. It will hurt some feelings, but the long run is what needs to be looked at. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, Mescalito said:

I think the only untouchables on this team should be Ryan, Julio Jones, Lindstrom, McGary, Hooper, Jarrett, Deion Jones.  Am I missing anyone?

I'd add Ridley to that list

Mescalito and mtldirtybird like this

Much smarter to trade Sanu, extend Hooper, and then draft a 3rd round big bodied WR to take the Sanu role.

I like Sanu, but it's much easier to find a WR like him in the middle of the draft than a good TE.

vel and Ergo Proxy like this

25 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Much smarter to trade Sanu, extend Hooper, and then draft a 3rd round big bodied WR to take the Sanu role.

I like Sanu, but it's much easier to find a WR like him in the middle of the draft than a good TE.

You can add a guy like Gabriel Davis 6'3 220lb out of UCF or Tee Higgins out of Clemson and make them the fourth option. They're already pushing Gage 

MSalmon likes this

Hooper made himself a lot of money this season already. He won't be cheap to re-sign this offseason.

If we could get a nice pick back for him you have to consider pulling he trigger before he walks for potentially nothing this offseason.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
vitaman likes this