Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think that Dan Quinn could fix the defense in the 2020 draft/free agency?

58 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Just stop

What's with this dude with all these questions? I think I've been on this board longer than him/her and they have made 100 more threads than me.

ya_boi_j likes this

3 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

What's with this dude with all these questions? I think I've been on this board longer than him/her and they have made 100 more threads than me.

I honestly have no clue man.

Flying Falcon likes this

15 hours ago, Herr Beast said:

Dan Quinn will have alot of time to fix things in 2020, it just won‘t be with the Falcons.

This! This! This!

Dr Long Shot likes this

40 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Survey-Opinion-taker for the media, radio station, or The Falcons.

Question-topics since last two losses

If I were the owner, I would carefully look at what the HC and DC have had to work with.  My first question would be:  Does the DC get the most out of the players on the field?  

I don't think Quinn is getting the most from his players' talents.  I think the defense looks confused and disorganized.  Add in some poor tackling, and you get what we are seeing today. 

I do have faith in Quinn's ability to run a great defense.....no matter who he can draft next year.

37 minutes ago, Rise said:

Survey-Opinion-taker for the media, radio station, or The Falcons.

Question-topics since last two losses

But this guy has been asking questions since the season started. And even during the off season.

The guy likes to ask opinions of other posters, what's wrong with that?  

Usually the questions are valid and get people discussing pertinent issues with the Falcons.

This one is kind of...out there though.

ya_boi_j likes this

16 hours ago, FalconJim said:

You may be right about Blank not having much loyalty left for Quinn....who knows?!?!?!  But, I'm not sure what you mean by "multiple terrible years".  Personally, I wouldn't say that about Quinn.  Sure, 7&9 last year wasn't great, but hardly what I would consider "terrible".  Let us remember the back-to-back winning seasons we had never had, then the back-to-back-to back winning seasons, all under Coach Quinn, and of course, a SB? 
I don't mean to sound like an apologist for him, because this team is pretty bad right now and that all falls on the HC's shoulders....just trying to give him credit for some pretty dang good years with our Falcons, and arguably, the best time to be a Falcons Fan in many, MANY years!  

B2B2B winning seasons was Smitty man.  

Honestly?  Not with Dimitroff still here.  We have coaching issues.  We have personnel issues.  They overlap.  Quinn makes the final decisions on the roster, and he uses (and apparently trusts) the information the scouting department is giving him.

Quinn will coach again.  At least as a DC.  He isn't an idiot.  But this isn't working, and I'd wager a large part of that is we don't have the players in the front 7, despite him and TD drafting most of them, to make his defense (or any defense) work.

The back 4 is no great shakes either, but he inherited at least one of those guys, and Sheffield has looked decent, so I'm going to give him a bit of a pass there.  The Beasley/Takk experiment, however, is over.  Either those guys can't play, or Quinn can't get them to play (more likely), or they won't play (most likely).  In any event, he can't go anywhere with this personnel, and since he drafted this personnel along with TD, I don't expect another draft to change that.  They'll pick the wrong guys again.

16 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I realize that we will probably never know the answer to this question unfortunately but do you think Dan Quinn could fix the defense in the 2020 offseason? In 2019 we had to address the offensive line and had to ignore the defensive line. The Falcons could draft a couple of pass rushers maybe get some secondary help in free agency. Cut Vic Bustley and Trucan't. Maybe others. Arthur Blank could tell Falcons fans a coaching change is not needed we'll fix it in the offseason. Make some big splashes in FA to get fans excited and ticket sales back up. Do you guys think DQ and TD could fix the defense in the 2020 offseason? Are there any pass rushers or secondary players that you see that could make an immediate impact you see in the draft or free agency? Your thoughts?

Nope, this was the year he was "supposed" to fix it he is the DC and has been 5 years so we have lots of off seasons getting the player he wanted.

As long as him and TD keep shying away from bigger guys on the DL this defense will suck.

15 hours ago, Hokies&Falcons said:

He and TD have been trying to fix the defense for several seasons and have failed, so it's time to move on from both of them IMO.

Yep no more DL's that look like they are on atkins diets

2 hours ago, Herr Beast said:

Best time to be Falcons fan? Seriously?

2015 was terrible because we went from 5-0 to 6-7 against the easiest part of our schedule

2016 was great but ending in the worst memory any sport fan could ever have

2017 was ok

2018 was just disappointing and we were more a 4-12 then a 7-9 team, so many losing streaks

2019 is just 2003/2007 bad but without the excuse of having no QB

Overall DQ gave me some of the worst memories. The 2015 collapse, the Superbowl collapse and the overall collapse of coaching since 2018.

I will have a party the day he gets fired.

28-3 will burn this fanbase up probably forever. I would have rather had a losing season that year then 28-3

28-3 said to me as a fan that no matter what the Falcons do they will never win a SB.

These are NOT the best years as a fan

Quinn has already had a lot to do with who's been drafted and FA acquisitions, as well who has been passed over. All of this has led to the Falcons rarely being able to rely on the defense to do much of anything. The defense is more often than not a liability for the Falcons, and that goes back before DQ's arrival as well;  this is where the front office is equally if not more to blame. I do not care about splashy free-agent signings for the defense. I instead would like to see a defensive unit that goes out and gets the job done by getting turnovers, stopping 3rd and longs, pressuring a QB, and making good tackles; all the things that the Falcons defense fail at now. TD has yet to build or hire anyone who has done anything with consistency in regards to having a good defensive identity, and Quinn is not able to prepare what he does have to work in game-time situations. Why continue the failed experiment?

Edited by 4dabirds

2 hours ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

B2B2B winning seasons was Smitty man.  

You're right....my bad....it was Smitty, not Quinn.  B2B2B winning seasons were 2008-2010, Smitty's first three seasons with the team.  I guess these crazy Falcons seasons are starting to run together in my old mind.  lol. 

4 hours ago, Herr Beast said:

Best time to be Falcons fan? Seriously?

2015 was terrible because we went from 5-0 to 6-7 against the easiest part of our schedule

2016 was great but ending in the worst memory any sport fan could ever have

2017 was ok

2018 was just disappointing and we were more a 4-12 then a 7-9 team, so many losing streaks

2019 is just 2003/2007 bad but without the excuse of having no QB

Overall DQ gave me some of the worst memories. The 2015 collapse, the Superbowl collapse and the overall collapse of coaching since 2018.

I will have a party the day he gets fired.

I didn't say it had all been good, man.  But if you're a long-suffering fan like I am (since 1966), the Smitty years (except his last 2), and the Dan Quinn years (minus his last 2) have been a pretty exciting time to be a Falcons Fan, overall....just my opinion.  Of course, we've had our ups and downs, and some pretty gut-wrenching defeats during that time ---- but we COULD'VE been a Browns fan, LOL! 

16 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Point of order. Our first back to back winning seasons were 08-09. 

You're right, sir ---- I stand corrected, as I have already stated in a previous post...

Edited by FalconJim
thanat0s likes this

Just now, FalconJim said:

I didn't say it had all been good, man.  But if you're a long-suffering fan like I am (since 1966), the Smitty years (except his last 2), and the Dan Quinn years (minus his last 2) have been a pretty exciting time to be a Falcons Fan, overall....just my opinion.  Of course, we've had our ups and downs, and some pretty gut-wrenching defeats during that time ---- but we COULD'VE been a Browns fan, LOL! 

Well you have an extended fanship than me (fan since 1992 but really only been able to follow the team since 1998) and I understand the Falcons were just terrible before my time (with the exception of some Bortkowski years) but I think the Falcons have successfully left behind those earlier years... and should not compare today with what has been 50 years ago.

I agree that the Falcons have been a better experience beginning with Mike Smith in 2008. I just don‘t see how DQ contributed to that. Smitty disappointed me a bit with sub par playoff performance but DQ downright broke my heart. I mean he really shattered it.

The one statistic I always quote is losing streaks or losing back to back games. How long did it take for Mike Smith to lose back to back games? 4 or 5 years or so? DQ managed to produce a 6 game losing streak (against the weakest part of the schedule) in his first year already and had multiple other big losing streaks since then.

Those losing streaks combined with the ultimate micro losing streak within 28-3 is what is killing people. And it is not just losing but the way we are losing. It is horrific it haunts me. If we are losing because we are rebuilding and the other team has more talent, so be it. But losing the way we lose under DQ is absolutely killing me and probably most other loyal fans.

FalconJim likes this

1 hour ago, FalconJim said:

You're right....my bad....it was Smitty, not Quinn.  B2B2B winning seasons were 2008-2010, Smitty's first three seasons with the team.  I guess these crazy Falcons seasons are starting to run together in my old mind.  lol. 

Oh I get it man lol.  What I’d do for another winning season.  Was supposed to go to the Saints game on Thanksgiving but I’m not doing that to myself now!

FalconJim likes this

23 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

Well you have an extended fanship than me (fan since 1992 but really only been able to follow the team since 1998) and I understand the Falcons were just terrible before my time (with the exception of some Bortkowski years) but I think the Falcons have successfully left behind those earlier years... and should not compare today with what has been 50 years ago.

I agree that the Falcons have been a better experience beginning with Mike Smith in 2008. I just don‘t see how DQ contributed to that. Smitty disappointed me a bit with sub par playoff performance but DQ downright broke my heart. I mean he really shattered it.

The one statistic I always quote is losing streaks or losing back to back games. How long did it take for Mike Smith to lose back to back games? 4 or 5 years or so? DQ managed to produce a 6 game losing streak (against the weakest part of the schedule) in his first year already and had multiple other big losing streaks since then.

Those losing streaks combined with the ultimate micro losing streak within 28-3 is what is killing people. And it is not just losing but the way we are losing. It is horrific it haunts me. If we are losing because we are rebuilding and the other team has more talent, so be it. But losing the way we lose under DQ is absolutely killing me and probably most other loyal fans.

I agree.  The way we've been losing lately is gut-wrenching!  And with all the talent we have on offense, too, it just blows your mind!!!  I've been wrestling with the idea of either keeping Quinn and see if he can fix this mess, or to just release him and start over again.  I mean, DQ has had the time to bring in the guys that he wanted (no more excuses!)  And for whatever reason, it just isn't working.  So maybe it's time for him to go.  We should know by the BYE week, as to what decisions should/will be made, so all we can do in the meantime is grin and bear it ---  :( 

Herr Beast likes this