Spts1

Mortensen " Blank says Quinn must show progress before week 9 bye "

113 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

True but Smitty was also still in the hunt for the division in the last game of the season.... and Blank told him before that game he was going to be fired.

So you could he was fired before the end of the season. 

True. But he also said he's got to improve around the bye week. They were 2-6. DQ is headed for 1-7. Only one game difference, yet his team has looked worse with more talent. I'm not saying he survives the season, just saying midseason firings don't give you the head start you think they do. 

Schwarzwald likes this

Just now, vel said:

True. But he also said he's got to improve around the bye week. They were 2-6. DQ is headed for 1-7. Only one game difference, yet his team has looked worse with more talent. I'm not saying he survives the season, just saying midseason firings don't give you the head start you think they do. 

Maybe they don't but in this case does keeping him around buy you anything?

Let's also think about Quinn and his family.  He's still going to get paid either way.  The other coaches on the staff will still get paid for this year.

With all that being said they might as well not delay the inevitable so Quinn and his family can have closure and move on.

If I thought there was a chance Quinn could turn it around I say wait but the defense has been such a disaster I don't see it happening.

20 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Maybe they don't but in this case does keeping him around buy you anything?

Let's also think about Quinn and his family.  He's still going to get paid either way.  The other coaches on the staff will still get paid for this year.

With all that being said they might as well not delay the inevitable so Quinn and his family can have closure and move on.

If I thought there was a chance Quinn could turn it around I say wait but the defense has been such a disaster I don't see it happening.

Yes, it buys you goodwill with potential HC candidates. Teams that fire their HCs midseason alert future hires that the same fate could be true for you. 

Do you think any potential HC is looking at that Redskins opening with any degree of excitement? No. Same with the Texans GM job. They haven't even interviewed anybody and it's been months. No interest in that job from anybody. 

28 minutes ago, vel said:

Yes, it buys you goodwill with potential HC candidates. Teams that fire their HCs midseason alert future hires that the same fate could be true for you. 

Do you think any potential HC is looking at that Redskins opening with any degree of excitement? No. Same with the Texans GM job. They haven't even interviewed anybody and it's been months. No interest in that job from anybody. 

Honestly I don't think that matters.

The Seahawks fired Mora after one year and got Carroll. 

The disaster that the Raiders were still got one of the hottest coaching candidates in Gruden... and let's not forget they traded him away at one point.

There are only 32 NFL HC and GM jobs on the planet and even the worst one is still a highly coveted job.  Even the Redskins will have multiple guys to choose from.  The only things these do is put the HC in a position of more leverage if it's a hot candidate and other teams are interested.

Just look at Gruden.  He got a mint to go to the Raiders where he may have had a better situation with other teams but not as much $$ and power.

Flying Falcon likes this

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Honestly I don't think that matters.

The Seahawks fired Mora after one year and got Carroll. 

The disaster that the Raiders were still got one of the hottest coaching candidates in Gruden... and let's not forget they traded him away at one point.

There are only 32 NFL HC and GM jobs on the planet and even the worst one is still a highly coveted job.  Even the Redskins will have multiple guys to choose from.  The only things these do is put the HC in a position of more leverage if it's a hot candidate and other teams are interested.

Just look at Gruden.  He got a mint to go to the Raiders where he may have had a better situation with other teams but not as much $$ and power.

But Mora got the whole year. Firing early does nothing. Gruden to the Raiders was easy because he was former Raider and they threw him 10yrs $100MM. 

You're changing the goal posts. Firing a coach midseason doesn't set you up in some advantageous position as firing at the end of the year. Coaches won't start interviewing until the season is over. And you most likely aren't hiring a coach from a team that doesn't make the playoffs. 

Just now, vel said:

But Mora got the whole year. Firing early does nothing. Gruden to the Raiders was easy because he was former Raider and they threw him 10yrs $100MM. 

You're changing the goal posts. Firing a coach midseason doesn't set you up in some advantageous position as firing at the end of the year. Coaches won't start interviewing until the season is over. And you most likely aren't hiring a coach from a team that doesn't make the playoffs. 

Ok maybe it doesn't give you an advantage but I don't think it puts you at a disadvantage either.

Rams got rid of Fisher mid-season and that worked out for them.

There's probably nothing out there but do we ever know of a situation where a team firing a HC mid-season hurt their ability to hire a new one the next season?

Now I freely admit firing Quinn probably does nothing to save this season.  The Falcons aren't going to turn it around one way or the other.

Firing him now gives his family closure and let's the Falcons officially start the process of finding a new coach.  That's why I take the position you might as well fire him because he's still going to get paid.

And in the end let's be honest.  We're probably talking 2-3 weeks before he's let go officially anyway.  The crowd in the 2nd home game when they were only 1-2 is a pretty strong indication the paying fan base has given up on Quinn.

5 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Too bad he doesn't wait until the end of the season to make contract extensions, but he falls in love with his players like a moron.

LOL!!!  You may be right about that!

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Actually the Texans are waiting until after the season so they can hire the guy from New England. They initially hired him, but there was something with tampering accusations because he was still under contract for 1 more year. And as far as the Redskins go, until Snyder agrees to relinquish some power, he is not going to get a top tiered Coach

Edited by andrews31cain21

20 hours ago, Romfal said:

think he is gone at 1-7 or if we lose by 30 on Sunday to the Rams

Funny thing is since the Rams are my 2nd favorite team (being I'm originally from Los Angeles) I'm OK with this.

21 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Quinn's getting fired one way or the other.

He's got to beat one or both of the next two teams in order to make it to the Saints game.

0 wins before the Saints stuff us.

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Ok maybe it doesn't give you an advantage but I don't think it puts you at a disadvantage either.

Rams got rid of Fisher mid-season and that worked out for them.

There's probably nothing out there but do we ever know of a situation where a team firing a HC mid-season hurt their ability to hire a new one the next season?

Now I freely admit firing Quinn probably does nothing to save this season.  The Falcons aren't going to turn it around one way or the other.

Firing him now gives his family closure and let's the Falcons officially start the process of finding a new coach.  That's why I take the position you might as well fire him because he's still going to get paid.

And in the end let's be honest.  We're probably talking 2-3 weeks before he's let go officially anyway.  The crowd in the 2nd home game when they were only 1-2 is a pretty strong indication the paying fan base has given up on Quinn.

This has always been the case in Atlanta. Even during the playoffs has nothing to do with Quinn. Now that I live in Seattle, Atlanta is the biggest fairweather fan city when it comes to pro sports. 

6 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

This has always been the case in Atlanta. Even during the playoffs has nothing to do with Quinn. Now that I live in Seattle, Atlanta is the biggest fairweather fan city when it comes to pro sports. 

That's the 2nd home game.  And that was the best pic I could find but the broadcast didn't look good.  While the Dome wasn't great it was much better than that.

And I live across the sound near Bainbridge and yes.  Everyone out here LOVES the Seahawks.  12 and Seahawk Flags everywhere!

Gotta love the weather out here.  F all that humidity!

5 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That's the 2nd home game.  And that was the best pic I could find but the broadcast didn't look good.  While the Dome wasn't great it was much better than that.

And I live across the sound near Bainbridge and yes.  Everyone out here LOVES the Seahawks.  12 and Seahawk Flags everywhere!

Gotta love the weather out here.  F all that humidity!

What surprised me was the everyone wears seahawks jersy year round in all the grocery stores its mandatory.