Spts1

Mortensen " Blank says Quinn must show progress before week 9 bye "

113 posts in this topic

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

he knows the Seahawks better than an interim coach does.

True, but by that point, it might not even matter if he had a copy of their game plan.

1 minute ago, vel said:

I mean guys what did you expect him to say? He's not canning him now. Makes no sense before the bye week. If they look absolutely inept the next two weeks, he's obviously gone. But right now he's coaching for his job. The next two weeks are auditioning to coach beyond the bye week. After that, it's coaching through the year. End up with a winning season and he'll be back because that will be VERY impressive. 

Pretty much this.

Embrace the suck...reverse the "28-3"...make playoffs at 11-5 go on run of lifetime with 10 sacks and 5 TOs out of this defense enroute to Matt Ryan throwing 4TDs every game.

SB...

vel likes this

33 minutes ago, pzummo said:

You guys do realize that's against the Rams, Seahawks, and Saints, right?  It will be hard for us to show progress over the course of the next 3 weeks.

Exactly. Blank knows Quinn is toast, but just giving him a last chance so he can look like the good boss and also put the team on notice.

PokerSteve likes this

5 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

If we get curb-stomped by the Rams I just don't see how Quinn will make it to the Seahawks.

That will be poetic justice. Ryan lit up Rams and coach got fired next day in 2016. McVay turned it around, Rams stomp Falcons,DQ May be fired.

1989Fan and PokerSteve like this

22 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

The bye week is my prediction too but where is the direct quote from Blank? 

It was said during a segment on Sports Center...   Mortensen used to work in Atlanta so I'm pretty sure he has some connections with the Falcons...

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

That will be poetic justice. Ryan lit up Rams and coach got fired next day in 2016. McVay turned it around, Rams stomp Falcons,DQ May be fired.

And we follow the script, fire Quinn, hire a young offensive genius and get things turned around in 2020.

falcons007 and Flying Falcon like this

Just now, PokerSteve said:

And we follow the script, hire a young offensive genius and get things turned around in 2020.

JMac at all costs, then a proven DC who can run a 4-3.

PokerSteve likes this

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

And we follow the script, fire Quinn, hire a young offensive genius and get things turned around in 2020.

And Ryan goes to Disney land in Feb 2021. One happy family.

PokerSteve likes this

5 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

It was said during a segment on Sports Center...   Mortensen used to work in Atlanta so I'm pretty sure he has some connections with the Falcons...

I didn’t say it wasn’t said. I said I want to hear it from blank himself. Blank wouldn’t just tell him that behind closed doors knowing it would be made public. Has never came across as that type

35 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Thats before he invested 1/2 billion into 5 players.  Blank has to be steaming that he has paid out that kind of loot and gotten these returns...

I'd be pizzed, too....but isn't he the one who said some of those players would be Falcons For Life, and now they're under-performing?  Do you think he could be gettin' what he deserves?  I mean, I don't recall EVER hearing an owner, much less a coach, say something like that --- 

But Blank is not without blame here... his meddling in the direction the 2019 offseason should go has made a bad situation even worse... he wanted to protect #2, the officers wanted to please him and rushed to sign 3 free agents OL for starter money and used our combined 1/2/3 rounders for two additional OL... there was literally no money and no picks left to address the defense. The same stuff happened in 2014 when Blank wanted more beef on the lines all we got were big fat guys who really sucked (Asamoah, Soliai, Jackson) and were gone within a year or two.

That might also be a great reason to fire TD. Blank needs a GM that tells him „Arthur, we appreciate your input, but let us do the job„. But having seen it in my own work experience, the „Yes Men“ are usually the last to ever get fired and TD is the definition of a Yes Man.

Edited by Herr Beast
1989Fan, Spts1 and JDaveG like this

17 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Pretty much this.

Embrace the suck...reverse the "28-3"...make playoffs at 11-5 go on run of lifetime with 10 sacks and 5 TOs out of this defense enroute to Matt Ryan throwing 4TDs every game.

SB...

Lol exactly. The odds of a turn around are pretty low. Even firing DQ, what's it going to do to improve the worst part of this team? Nobody else on the staff has experience calling a defense. Would it be worse than now? Probably not, but what's the upside? Just ride it out. It's over before it got started and we can't blame injuries this time. When your defense struggles to stop the Titans and Cardinals in the span of a month, no way you think you're slowing the Seahawks, Rams, or Saints in the next three games. 

PokerSteve and Schwarzwald like this

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Lol exactly. The odds of a turn around are pretty low. Even firing DQ, what's it going to do to improve the worst part of this team? Nobody else on the staff has experience calling a defense. Would it be worse than now? Probably not, but what's the upside? Just ride it out. It's over before it got started and we can't blame injuries this time. When your defense struggles to stop the Titans and Cardinals in the span of a month, no way you think you're slowing the Seahawks, Rams, or Saints in the next three games. 

Harry Douglas on the midday show Andy/Randy said firing Whisenhunt and promoting Mularkey; who eventually won the job off his interim performance, lit a spark for the players to improve..but they went no where that year. Took them time and they made playoffs (once?) with consecutive 9-7 seasons before losing that game vs the PATS in playoffs.

When he took over initially? 2-7 ending in 2015.

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Harry Douglas on the midday show Andy/Randy said firing Whisenhunt and promoting Mularkey; who eventually won the job off his interim performance, lit a spark for the players to improve..but they went no where that year. Took them time and they made playoffs (once?) with consecutive 9-7 seasons before losing that game vs the PATS in playoffs.

When he took over initially? 2-7 ending in 2015.

Exactly. It's not changing much. Rarely does. Firing DQ the DC does nothing but promotes Ulbrich to DC. The offense will still continue to put up 30+ points a game and watch as the defense gives up point after point and lose the game. 

Schwarzwald and Lowndesfalc like this

Just now, vel said:

Exactly. It's not changing much. Rarely does. Firing DQ the DC does nothing but promotes Ulbrich to DC. The offense will still continue to put up 30+ points a game and watch as the defense gives up point after point and lose the game. 

People just want to see heads roll. Won't change this season.

Best shot you have is seeing if the D can play more than a quarter or two and get the offense starting faster than 1 TD and stalling from penalties in first half right after...

Lowndesfalc, vel and PokerSteve like this

22 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

But Blank is not without blame here... his meddling in the direction the 2019 offseason should go has made a bad situation even worse... he wanted to protect #2, the officers wanted to please him and rushed to sign 3 free agents OL for starter money and used our combined 1/2/3 rounders for two additional OL... there was literally no money and no picks left to address the defense. The same stuff happened in 2014 when Blank wanted more beef on the lines all we got were big fat guys who really sucked (Asamoah, Soliai, Jackson) and were gone within a year or two.

That might also be a great reason to fire TD. Blank needs a GM that tells him „Arthur, we appreciate your input, but let us do the job„. But having seen it in my own work experience, the „Yes Men“ are usually the last to ever get fired and TD is the definition of a Yes Man.

Nah dude. That should have been done 5 years ago even if Blank did ask them to get OL protection. The only reason Ryan is not on IR because of back ups they signed. And no Falcons didn’t pay anything close to starter money for backups. All those OL backups signed won’t be making  as much as Vic this year.

All this piss poor defense oriented drafts were busts. It’s unbelievable how much less return Falcons got selecting defense in first two rounds all these years. 
It’s time they make trades or FA signings on defense. 

JDaveG likes this

Apparently Arthur Blank is so out of touch that he fails to realize that it is almost impossible to NOT "improve" from where we are.

But Dan Quinn has proven that if anyone is capable of hitting rock bottom, then sinking even lower somehow, it's him.

42 minutes ago, vel said:

It does one thing.

It gives you a head start on the coaching search.

Lowndesfalc and JDaveG like this

I just don't know how anyone can expect improvement from DQ's defensive scheme. DQ's defense gets worse every week. The season is swirling around the toilet bowl now, but week 9 it will be out to sea already. Just do it. Let's see how a Raheem Morris defense looks.

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It does one thing.

It gives you a head start on the coaching search.

I’d be willing to bet that process has already started behind the scenes. Timing for firing will depend a lot on how MBS looks during the next two home games. Attendance, opponents colors compared to Falcons colors in attendance, Falcons fans with paperbags...

vel likes this

Improvement better mean wins over the Rams and Seahawks, and week 9 better be the NFL's week 9 (bye week for us).

And, unless Quinn pulls a miracle, I don't see him as our HC in a few weeks.  He also certainly cannot complain that he has not been given a long opportunity to save his job.

Schwarzwald likes this