Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fuego

Should the Falcons fire Dan Quinn? Bill Barnwell ESPN

126 posts in this topic

Who is responsible for the Defensive draft failures from 2015, 2017, and 2018?

Vic, Collins, Takk, Duke, Oliver, Senat

2019 might have a couple projects do something (Sheffield/Cominsky/Miller) but we banked on Vic Beasley being more than a situational pass rusher for $13M. Just wow...I wanted to believe.

If that’s more a DQ thing or a TD thing? That person should be first gone.

JDaveG likes this

Just now, octoslash said:

Yet another in-game mistake yesterday. 

Not trying an onside kick at the end was the perfect expression of a coach being totally stubborn and out of touch with reality.  There were less than two minutes left and the Falcons had zero timeouts.  

Did he actually think that horrible defense was going to make a stop and get the ball back?  

We had 2 timeouts. We would have gotten the ball back with approximately 1:30ish left if not for the bad spot on the 3rd down run which was definitely short.

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

We had 2 timeouts. We would have gotten the ball back with approximately 1:30ish left if not for the bad spot on the 3rd down run which was definitely short.

I thought we were out of timeouts but whatever, there was NO WAY the defense was up to the challenge and he should've tried to get the ball back for the offense. 

27 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Here's my solution.  Fire Thomas Dimitroff right now.  Start the GM search.  Keep quiet about coaching changes for the time being, but the plan should be to let the new GM decide whether to keep Quinn for another season or move on.  If we move on (we almost certainly will), let the new GM hire the new coach.

That way you aren't "giving up on the season," but if changes are made, you are at least not doing the same thing you did with the last 2 hires, which is let TD have a large say in who the chef is and then stock the pantry with rotten food.

The best solution is probably to fire everybody after the season.

You need TD and the scouts to keep scouting  so the next GM can have that info

Fire someone right now won't improve anyone.....

If I was Mr.Blank I would be talking to back channels to GMs and possible HC candidates to let them know we are interested

2 minutes ago, atljbo said:

The best solution is probably to fire everybody after the season.

You need TD and the scouts to keep scouting  so the next GM can have that info

Fire someone right now won't improve anyone.....

If I was Mr.Blank I would be talking to back channels to GMs and possible HC candidates to let them know we are interested

That's probably what will happen, if TD is even fired.

But as a counterpoint, you need TD and the scouts to keep scouting?  I'm going to suggest the new scouting department is going to have to at the very least check, and likely redo, their work anyway. If only because the new GM/coach will have different priorities.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

20 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

TD has assembled a team that should of won a SB and is widely regarded to be one of the most talented teams on paper. He's done a wonderful job with the cap as well. I don't see why he gets the axe.

Because you are who you hire. It’s part of his responsibility to make sure the team has a good coach and both of his selections have fizzled... 

and let’s not get carried away on the quality of the draft picks. His picks were average pre-Quinn for whatever reason you want to tap. 

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

dropping the nose tackle and allowing space instead instead of pushing the pocket inside...

DQ people. Vs a rookie at that.

This is a red hearing, when we sent pressure he ran out of the pocket and picked up more yardage. This kid was more than exception of escaping the pocket. Your best option is to rush few and keep more eyes on him in coverage to try and control the passing game. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

If Smitty had KS and Matt Ryan + Julio in prime we would have won a SB. DQ has failed to take this team to playoffs. Give me a coach who can keep this team relevant most of the years.

Sure sure, and if we had tom brady we would have won multiple championships. See of stupid the "If" game is. 

1 minute ago, SPITFIRE said:

This is a red hearing, when we sent pressure he ran out of the pocket and picked up more yardage. This kid was more than exception of escaping the pocket. Your best option is to rush few and keep more eyes on him in coverage to try and control the passing game. 

There are ways to deal with that if you need to run man, most notably with a spy.  This is actually one thing Beasley is good at.

I mean, I hate to take him off of his normal role of pass coverage or not rushing the passer, but it seems to me manning up with Beasley as a spy made sense.  Did we do it even once?

Schwarzwald likes this

29 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

Eh.. Smitty had a bad track record in the playoffs though.. It was well known that even if we consistently make it to the playoffs we would fail to get past the first round. We have gone deeper into the playoffs twice under Quinn . 

That's the only claim. But it was regular season ineptitude that got Smitty fired. With a large part due to a very shaky roster. DQ is showing a worse case of ineptitude with a largely healthy and talented roster. Postseason play doesn't matter. Smitty was getting us there, just like DQ, but when you take over more responsibility of a team and they still don't perform, you get more scrutinized. Smitty never took over the defense completely, which helped give him more rope late. But DQ did and they look like the worst group in the NFL. 

Just now, JDaveG said:

There are ways to deal with that if you need to run man, most notably with a spy.  This is actually one thing Beasley is good at.

I mean, I hate to take him off of his normal role of pass coverage or not rushing the passer, but it seems to me manning up with Beasley as a spy made sense.  Did we do it even once?

I have not finished re-watching the entire game but our LB's and SS was a liability in man, the short first downs came against man coverage. I saw less beasly dropping into coverage but I have not counted how many times between the two games. 

8 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

But you dropped your 320lb Nose Tackle...and he made a play anyway.

A collapsed pocket means we get at least another hit on him this play even if not sacked.

Just now, vel said:

That's the only claim. But it was regular season ineptitude that got Smitty fired. With a large part due to a very shaky roster. DQ is showing a worse case of ineptitude with a largely healthy and talented roster. Postseason play doesn't matter. Smitty was getting us there, just like DQ, but when you take over more responsibility of a team and they still don't perform, you get more scrutinized. Smitty never took over the defense completely, which helped give him more rope late. But DQ did and they look like the worst group in the NFL. 

I am still not ready to 100% lay this at DQ's feet. That maybe the difference between what you all are saying and what I am saying. I keep seeing our "good" players have bad games with very un disciplined eyes. I was thinking about making a post about it later but I am starting to think Deion Jones is a  problem. 

JDaveG, vel and Schwarzwald like this

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

But you dropped your 320lb Nose Tackle...and he made a play anyway.

A collapsed pocket means we get at least another hit on him this play even if not sacked.

I mean we are monday morning quarterbacking the call. I understand the logic behind the call. it didnt work out but the rush was having trouble getting home all game, even when they sent 5 he was just out playing them. 

Schwarzwald likes this

I am still not ready to 100% lay this at DQ's feet. That maybe the difference between what you all are saying and what I am saying. I keep seeing our "good" players have bad games with very un disciplined eyes. I was thinking about making a post about it later but I am starting to think Deion Jones is a  problem. 

I don't think Deion Jones is a problem, though I'm sure he's had an off play here or there.

But it is certainly the veteran core of this team that keeps crapping the bed week in and week out.  

Quinn is given so much credit for Superbowl year but it only happened because Falcons had a top 5 offense in the history of the NFL.  The defense still gave up 26 points per game and 4 of the wins were against rookie Jared Goff, Trevor Simien, Kapernick, and injured Cam Newton. Falcons also moved from 4th seed to 2nd until Seattle had a meltdown at the end of the season and lost to the 49ers.  

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don't think Deion Jones is a problem, though I'm sure he's had an off play here or there.

But it is certainly the veteran core of this team that keeps crapping the bed week in and week out.  

i dont know man the more I am watching the less I am a fan. I have seen a couple of run plays through a gap where he was standing and he was looking somewhere else. I have seen a couple of plays where he just takes a long way to get to the play. I have seen multiple plays where he is literally jogging to the play. Our LB group as a whole is playing really really bad and LBs are the core of your defense especially in this multi front we keep running. Corners look Ok in man. Our SS and our LB's are not getting anything done. I miss Neal. 

Edited by SPITFIRE

7 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

Naw Debo isn't a problem. He isn't having a great year and largely looks off. But I think it's frustration and being surrounded by inept teammates. When guys like Campbell and Ish are consistently making wrong reads and you can't do anything about it, it's tough. Some of the play calling is just atrocious. He's trying to do too much to make up for his teammates but he can't. He's no different than Rico right now. 

Schwarzwald, Ovie_Lover and JDaveG like this

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Naw Debo isn't a problem. He isn't having a great year and largely looks off. But I think it's frustration and being surrounded by inept teammates. When guys like Campbell and Ish are consistently making wrong reads and you can't do anything about it, it's tough. Some of the play calling is just atrocious. He's trying to do too much to make up for his teammates but he can't. He's no different than Rico right now. 

I am just going by whats on tape man.

Edit: Just as I said this he made a play in the run game. lol . 

Edited by SPITFIRE
vel and JDaveG like this

46 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

TD has assembled a team that should of won a SB and is widely regarded to be one of the most talented teams on paper. He's done a wonderful job with the cap as well. I don't see why he gets the axe.

I may be the only one who agrees with you on this.  I don’t understand the hate for TD.  Still think this team has a lot of talent.  Should we have given Free and Tru large contracts, nope but hindsight is 20/20.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Here's my solution.  Fire Thomas Dimitroff right now.  Start the GM search.  Keep quiet about coaching changes for the time being, but the plan should be to let the new GM decide whether to keep Quinn for another season or move on.  If we move on (we almost certainly will), let the new GM hire the new coach.

That way you aren't "giving up on the season," but if changes are made, you are at least not doing the same thing you did with the last 2 hires, which is let TD have a large say in who the chef is and then stock the pantry with rotten food.

Why isn’t there more discussion about firing TD? His picks outside of Julio and Ryan have been awful. We need a clean slate.

I am just going by whats on tape man.

Edit: Just as I said this he made a play in the run game. lol . 

Lol I know what you're seeing and not disagreeing largely. He's jogged on several plays this season that have resulted in plays that shouldn't have happened. But I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a problem. I'm blaming the situation. It's disheartening. You see him trying to play through it, but it takes me back to what Calvin Johnson said before the 2008 season: the scheme they were putting in place before the season started, he told the coaches they will go 0-16 if they run that. And they went 0-16. He still put up 1300 yards and 12 TDs. It's only so much you can do when you see the issues before you even get to gameday. 

New scheme, new life, new HC, new DC, new LB coach, Debo will be fine. Grady is playing through it. Same with Julio. But you even see with them the frustration. I've never seen Julio throw his hands up in disgust at a playcall until this year. Grady had a rough go vs IND effort wise as well. 

Schwarzwald likes this

2 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Why isn’t there more discussion about firing TD? His picks outside of Julio and Ryan have been awful. We need a clean slate.

Only 3 All Pro's drafted in 11 years...

Ovie_Lover and Schwarzwald like this

53 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Can't build the lines to save his life.