vel

Falcons GM Candidate: Cheat Sheet

43 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

JeffAtl Man I would hope TDwould have the ability to trade VB or Julio if he wanted too, Julio WAS great but his value is dropping by the week. We should trade him to Oakland quickly and get us a number one pick. 

When Quinn was hired, Blank stated that the Falcons were moving to the Seattle and New England model where the coach had full roster power and the GM was more of guy that got the pieces that the coach wanted.

The Raiders have moved to a similar model.

That is why this thread is pretty silly.  No GM here is going to have power that people think.  Any accomplished coach is going to demand a similar situation to now.

2 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

When Quinn was hired, Blank stated that the Falcons were moving to the Seattle and New England model where the coach had full roster power and the GM was more of guy that got the pieces that the coach wanted.

The Raiders have moved to a similar model.

That is why this thread is pretty silly.  No GM here is going to have power that people think.  Any accomplished coach is going to demand a similar situation to now.

Yup this is Dan Quinn's massive mess of a team. All of the players he wanted, he got. The scheme is his, he is making all of the calls. For those that say Quinn should be kept, It really baffles the heck out of me. 

JeffAtl and rbrick28 like this

25 minutes ago, vel said:

I'm fine with TD.... if you want more of the same. TD gets blame for keeping Vic at $13MM. Yes, DQ has finally say so, but TD is still GM. His responsibilities:

They passed on trading Vic, instead thinking it was smarter to pay someone that much money who could barely break 5 sacks 3 out of 4 seasons, but were chasing that lone All Pro season. That's fireable. His FA crop was good. His drafts have improved under DQ. But I'm not willing to blindly run it back with TD. 

Again, I said if an upgrade is available, I could see it. But frankly the Vic thing had lots to do with DQ, as to re-signing all the core. How DQ has played these guys is suspect, at best. I guarantee under you, if you were DC, you’d have Vic rotating in and out as an old school elephant End

11 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Again, I said if an upgrade is available, I could see it. But frankly the Vic thing had lots to do with DQ, as to re-signing all the core. How DQ has played these guys is suspect, at best. I guarantee under you, if you were DC, you’d have Vic rotating in and out as an old school elephant End

Here's why I don't buy that.  It's the same story we heard with Smitty.  And I bought it the first time around, but fool me twice, shame on me.

TD is the guy drafting these players.  Quinn has input, but he is reliant on the scouting department to give him good information to work from.

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Here's why I don't buy that.  It's the same story we heard with Smitty.  And I bought it the first time around, but fool me twice, shame on me.

TD is the guy drafting these players.  Quinn has input, but he is reliant on the scouting department to give him good information to work from.

Yep. At this point, there is no way to separate DQ and TD. This whole thing is a cluster and you have to wipe the whole slate. Some of the things that plagued Smitty's end are back and the only constant is TD. 

JDaveG and Refried Beans like this

Vel you know where I am on this subject I don’t need new and improved I need an old head whose seen it all.Built a franchise expansion,built from nothing been a winner loser and has the credentials.

If Bill Polian is available get him on speed dial.The Falcons need tweaking and while some candidates have been suggested I’d take Polian over any of em.The guys seen it all and I think being on a the competition committee he knows where and has a pulse on the future of the game.

Polians my guy.

9 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Vel you know where I am on this subject I don’t need new and improved I need an old head whose seen it all.Built a franchise expansion,built from nothing been a winner loser and has the credentials.

If Bill Polian is available get him on speed dial.The Falcons need tweaking and while some candidates have been suggested I’d take Polian over any of em.The guys seen it all and I think being on a the competition committee he knows where and has a pulse on the future of the game.

Polians my guy.

Are you really banging the table for a 76 year old guy to help build a team? That's not happening Kiwi. I doubt he's even considering that to begin with. He'd probably give us 2-4 years and look to retire completely. That's not ideal. Also, you're most likely taking a HC who's half the age of Polian. There are so many potential issues taking Polian. He's had a ton of success, but he's not been doing it for a decade now. 

Im sticking with TD. He had terrible drafts at the end of Smitty, and then magically had good/better drafts once DQ came on.

We drafted 2 idiots from the Senior bowl that Mike Smith coached. Im convinced Smitty and his staff were saying who they wanted and TD grabbed them. 4 worthless LBs in one draft even!

2 hours ago, vel said:

I'm fine with TD.... if you want more of the same. TD gets blame for keeping Vic at $13MM. Yes, DQ has finally say so, but TD is still GM. His responsibilities:

They passed on trading Vic, instead thinking it was smarter to pay someone that much money who could barely break 5 sacks 3 out of 4 seasons, but were chasing that lone All Pro season. That's fireable. His FA crop was good. His drafts have improved under DQ. But I'm not willing to blindly run it back with TD. 

Quinn is responsible for the 53 man roster. Beasely wasn't an outside free agent. If Quinn told TD that he wants Beasely in his 53 man roster and that DQ will personally work with him to return to his 2016 glory, TD has no option but deliver his HC the players the HC wants

JeffAtl likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Are you really banging the table for a 76 year old guy to help build a team? That's not happening Kiwi. I doubt he's even considering that to begin with. He'd probably give us 2-4 years and look to retire completely. That's not ideal. Also, you're most likely taking a HC who's half the age of Polian. There are so many potential issues taking Polian. He's had a ton of success, but he's not been doing it for a decade now. 

Vel I’ll bang the table for a guy to be somewhere in this building when it comes to retooling yeah I would in some capacity.

vel likes this

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Vel I’ll bang the table for a guy to be somewhere in this building when it comes to retooling yeah I would in some capacity.

I agree with that. I'd be all for Polian in the building. Just not GM. I think he's past that point. Kind of like Kubiak is for Stefanski in Minnesota. Stefanski has never called plays but Kubiak is his advisor basically. Polian could be that for a young GM. 

kiwifalcon likes this

23 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Quinn is responsible for the 53 man roster. Beasely wasn't an outside free agent. If Quinn told TD that he wants Beasely in his 53 man roster and that DQ will personally work with him to return to his 2016 glory, TD has no option but deliver his HC the players the HC wants

If TD received viable trade offers (up to a 2nd rounder as rumored) and let DQ override him, he deserves some heat. Only Blank knows the real deal on Vic, but as an outsider, no way I'm letting the GM off the hook completely for that. That's just poor roster building. 

Has Blank hired Ed Dodds yet? We told him too 4 hours ago, get that old fart up and tell him to get his check book, we are tired of losing.

42 minutes ago, vel said:

If TD received viable trade offers (up to a 2nd rounder as rumored) and let DQ override him, he deserves some heat. Only Blank knows the real deal on Vic, but as an outsider, no way I'm letting the GM off the hook completely for that. That's just poor roster building. 

Blank implied that Quinn would have control of the Falcons' 53-man roster when asked about Julio Jones getting a long-term contract.

The Falcons were prohibited from agreeing to a contract with Dan Quinn until after the Seahawks finished competing in Sunday's Super Bowl. AP Photo/Ted S. Warren

"I think it's a decision that the head coach will look at the talent on the roster," Blank told ESPN.com. "Julio's been a great player for us and a great talent, and he represents us on the field and off the field as well as anybody else. As the owner, it's not my decision to make. The new coach will spend a great deal of time assessing the roster and all of our players, and obviously Julio is a critical one."

^this is a direct quote from Blank in 2015, 2 days after DQ was hired. TD haters in 2015 loved to beat their chest about how Blank took power away from TD and gave it to his new coach. The same scenario plays directly to the Beasely situation anyone that is already on the 53 man roster is DQs to keep and get rid of. TD just gets them into the rosters