Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ergo Proxy

One guy’s offseason plan for the roster...

59 posts in this topic

Here is his in-depth read on all potential cap savings moves that should set us up for a chance to build a roster with Draft, keeping Hooper, and a few low key FAs or perhaps a bigger name depending on Mack. Throw in Tru if Sheffield can stick at LCB.

http://www.riseupreader.com/atlanta-falcons/examining-the-falcons-future-following-the-grady-jarrett-deion-jones-and-julio-jones-contract-extensions/

@FalconFanSince1970 Resident GM your approval and augments await finalizing these initial projections, sir!

*Caveat his original projections for keeping Hoop were before week 2 started, date of article. So, yeah it’ll take more than he showed in the article...

Knight of God and vel like this

Where are the defensive cuts? We won't be able or want, to keep some of the players on that side of the ball as well. Beasley, Crawford, Campbell, JJ Wilcox, Clayborn, Wreh-Wilson, Means, Ishmael may all get released.

ETA: Matt Bryant may retire or just get cut outright and free up some cap space too.

Edited by ThemDarnFalconsBoy!
Flying Falcon likes this

Just now, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

Where are the defensive cuts? We won't be able or want, to keep some of the players on that side of the ball as well. Beasley, Crawford, Campbell, JJ Wilcox, Clayborn, Wreh-Wilson, Means, Ishmael may all get released

You cant release players that aren't under contract.

2 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

Where are the defensive cuts? We won't be able or want, to keep some of the players on that side of the ball as well. Beasley, Crawford, Campbell, JJ Wilcox, Clayborn, Wreh-Wilson, Means, Ishmael may all get released.

ETA: Matt Bryant may retire or just get cut outright and free up some cap space too.

Almost everyone you mentioned isn't under contract for 2020.

14 minutes ago, Malachore said:

You cant release players that aren't under contract.

Oh well in that case then Tak, Neal, and Kazee are notables that could be cut. I doubt they cut any of them. Carry on :D

Edited by ThemDarnFalconsBoy!
Ergo Proxy likes this

Just now, Bunchy Carter said:

STOP

TRYING

TO

OUST

SANU

Sheeeesh. He's one of the FEW players we have with HEART.

Sometimes a player becomes a cap casualty. We'll see though.

Ergo Proxy likes this

16 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

Beasley is at the end of his contract. Campbell as well.

Unless Trufant takes a major paycut/restructure, dude can get out of here. He's part of the culture problem we have. Ever since his pec injury/fat contract, he's gotten softer, has no communication skills on the field, is lazier and his hands are still stone. He should be a top 5 CB in this league by now considering how he looked before his injury/contract. He's had long enough to prove himself and he's average at best.

9 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

It's not an inevitability. It's a choice. You're right though...we'll see. Letting guys like Sanu go, while picking up ridiculous options on players like Quit Beasley is absolutely the Falcon way...

The Don™ likes this

7 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

I get what you're saying but players like Sanu don't bring a team down. Soft and heartless players like Tru, Campbell, and Beasley bring a team down. They bring down a culture you're trying to build. I'd take 53 Sanus on the team and I bet we'd go to the playoffs every year. 

Campbell and Beasley should not be back next year. Tru should be cut for my reasons in my previous post.

4 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Unless Trufant takes a major paycut/restructure, dude can get out of here. He's part of the culture problem we have. Ever since his pec injury/fat contract, he's gotten softer, has no communication skills on the field, is lazier and his hands are still stone. He should be a top 5 CB in this league by now considering how he looked before his injury/contract. He's had long enough to prove himself and he's average at best.

For a few years now, I said Alford was far superior to Trufant. We let the wrong guy go...penalties and all.

Optimus_Cr1m35 and Peteshweddy like this

5 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

It's not an inevitability. It's a choice. You're right though...we'll see. Letting guys like Sanu go, while picking up ridiculous options on players like Quit Beasley is absolutely the Falcon way...

What kind of message does it send to other players when you pick up an absurd option for a severely under performing, lazy, heartless player in Beasley?

Not a good one. I bet there's some animosity among players towards Beasley because he's done nothing to earn that option. 

Edited by The Don™

1 minute ago, The Don™ said:

What kind of message does it send to other players when you pick up an absurd option for a severely under performing, lazy, heartless player in Beasley?

Not a good one. I bet there's some animosity among players towards Beasley because he's did and has done nothing to earn that option. 

Flyin' In DC likes this

3 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

So basically the Draft network says we need everything but WR and TE? 

I mean they don’t know Benkert can be a backup and Schaub is gone or a coach...but almost everything they listed has merit; especially the D positions.

45 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

All of those guys are FA after this year anyway so no cap gains. :shrug:

You have to look at who is on contract next year only before anything else. We are over the cap without all of those guys so far.

I want to try to keep Tyeler Davison though; he is a FA. Not sure if I want to keep Bailey on year 2 of his deal. Would save a bit of money. He is only good for run D. 

Depends on the new DC, presuming we don’t win out the rest of the year (haha)...

But ya some low key 1 year signings won’t eat up much. Davison is making little this year. Most he will get in UFA is $2-$3M as a raise to keep him.

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

Yeah, we shouldn’t keep a guy as a top 10 paid CB that can’t lock down his side and gets beat 1on1 by rookies.

@vel called it the other week

Just eat all his dead money NOW and still get yourself $5M in cap space for 2020 back.

If frees up waaaaay more cap space for 2021 and 2022:

$16.1M and $14.1M off the books in those years. Gain $5M for 2020 roster shaping.

Sheffield looked just fine yesterday...vs a rookie but still he had to cover for Tru on Fitz and we didn’t miss Tru at all.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yeah, we shouldn’t keep a guy as a top 10 paid CB that can’t lock down his side and gets beat 1on1 by rookies.

@vel called it the other week

Just eat all his dead money NOW and still get yourself $5M in cap space for 2020 back.

If frees up cap space for 2021 and 2022.

Sheffield looked just fine yesterday...vs a rookie but still he had to cover for Tru on Fitz and we didn’t miss Tru at all.

Yep. Sheffield impressed me all things considered. Trade Tru. Somebody will take him. We'll eat the dead cap, and get $5MM plus a pick back. Move on and invest in the front seven. He's not worth the money he's making. Nowhere close. 

For the record, moving on from Sanu is one of the most logical cap gains. That’s the only reason moving Sanu is even being considered.

Would anyone on the boards keep Sanu at 31 over Hooper at 25?

If it comes down to cap reasons, that’s why it’ll happen.

I do not want Sanu gone IF he can be kept but we are talking another year...2 of him at most.

If losing Sanu AMONG the necessary cap moves helps you fix the Defense, keep Hooper who isn’t even at his prime yet, and enter the Draft focused on fixing the holes on this roster...you have to do it if it comes down to that.

He ain’t taking a pay cut but maybe an extension keeps him.

I’ll tell you this if Atlanta loses either of the next 2 games, DQ might be gone and Sanu might be traded...just like Tru.

We got Calvin, Hooper, developing WR behind Gage/Zaccheaus/Blake/Graham/RB targets.

We have a good OL moving forward; presuming Mack comes back and Lindstrom gels with McGary.

We need Waaaay more defense right?

If you look at the article, it shows all potential cap saving moves. We gotta find at least $30M in cuts/restructures just to keep Hooper and get under the cap with ANY chance of FA acquisition.

So, Sanu is likely to go as he frees up the most money. Just business without an extension to keep him and save something in he process.

Geaux_Falcons and quotemokc like this