Jump to content

Shanahan - we haven't played our best but this is good enough to win. Quinn - we haven't played our best that's why we're losing.


Recommended Posts

Let's get this straight - I am NOT excusing any of the players. ANY players showing lack of effort, should be cut. Period. There is no excuse for that. It's unforgivable to not do your job.

Any player underachieving, yes even the "big stars", should have to answer. There is no excuse for not doing YOUR job with all of your effort, especially if you consider yourself one of the "leaders". 

With that said...

Players shouldn't have to play perfectly in order for us to win games. Especially with this level of talent.

Example: Kyle Shanahan said to his team --> "We're not playing perfect but THAT'S OK...it's good enough to win.

So should be the case with the Falcons. No excuse of penalties and bonehead mistakes...but let's not pretend that every team has winners at every coaching position. 

It's easy to see when a team has a bad QB who makes a bad throw because that's more concrete. But it's difficult to objectively measure the effects of a good (or bad!) OC or a DC...or heck even a strength and conditioning coach!

It's easy to see when a player is a bust. It's difficult to see when coaches are a bust. Not all coordinators or coaches are "home-run hits" themselves.

Here's a new concept: having new ideas and game planning can change things in a big way where the strategies and the play calls are enough to beat the other team!

If that's true for just OCs and DCs, I can't even imagine what kind of difference it would make having a good (or a bad!) head coach. 

But first the OWNER has to allow that bringing in guys who have different ideas who can shake things up in a different direction.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the kicker that maybe people don't understand.

They're trying.  They are giving effort.

The coach is trying to run a defensive scheme he doesn't have the players for.  So to cover up for that he switched up to a 3 man front so he could have Beasley stand up.

So now they're in this no man's land where they don't have the personnel for a 3 man front and they don't have the personnel for a 4 man front.

They can't get ANY pressure whatsoever so the secondary can't cover.  Man or zone doesn't matter when there's no pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mistakes are going to happen, they are human! But on a consistent basis without change is basically the definition of Insanity.

Right now this team is locked in with the players they have, and unfortunately they will have to roll with it.

In a way guys, this is a blessing in disguise....Things are being exposed that would normally get overlooked if we were winning!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Here's the kicker that maybe people don't understand.

They're trying.  They are giving effort.

The coach is trying to run a defensive scheme he doesn't have the players for.  So to cover up for that he switched up to a 3 man front so he could have Beasley stand up.

So now they're in this no man's land where they don't have the personnel for a 3 man front and they don't have the personnel for a 4 man front.

They can't get ANY pressure whatsoever so the secondary can't cover.  Man or zone doesn't matter when there's no pressure.

This is what happens when you sacrifice the integrity of the scheme to justify the existence of one player. Pride. The downfall of the 2019 Falcons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

The team just has a very low ceiling.

You missed the point, I think. 

Tldr: Coaches should be able to win some games on their own, even when the players aren't perfect. Having new ideas and game planning well can change things in a big way where the strategies and the play calls are enough to beat the other team!

8 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Shanahan is gone and he isn't coming back

I don't want HIM back. I was pointing out the differences in mentality. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

This is what happens when you sacrifice the integrity of the scheme to justify the existence of one player. Pride. The downfall of the 2019 Falcons. 

Who you talking about, Beasley? Explain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I questioned why people were picking the 49ers to win the West before the season. I knew they improved that defense but was mostly questioning what they did on offense to improve because I hadn't seen it yet. To this point they still haven't proven anything except they can run the ball pretty good. They're offense is good enough to win them games as long as their defense keeps playing the way they're playing. That defense and their defensive mindset is legit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I'll take it one step further and call it arrogance. This staff and FO is arrogant as ****.

Yep. Simply put. Thinking you could force Vic to be some different player is arrogant. He showed you in 32 games who he was and you thought that was worth hitching your wagon to. You deserve to get fired for that massive failure when you look and see what $13MM gets you. The Texans with no GM were smart enough to trade Clowney since they weren't investing in him long term. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, vel said:

Yep. Simply put. Thinking you could force Vic to be some different player is arrogant. He showed you in 32 games who he was and you thought that was worth hitching your wagon to. You deserve to get fired for that massive failure when you look and see what $13MM gets you. The Texans with no GM were smart enough to trade Clowney since they weren't investing in him long term. 

The Texans wanted to invest in Clowny long term....just not at 90+ million that he wanted.

He wanted to be paid like an elite defender amd he is not.....THAT is why the Texans traded him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

The Texans wanted to invest in Clowny long term....just not at 90+ million that he wanted.

He wanted to be paid like an elite defender amd he is not.....THAT is why the Texans traded him

That's my point. They didn't see him as a $90MM man and weren't investing in him if that was his price. They moved on. Right now, Vic is making more cash than everybody on the roster each week. He's being paid like an elite defender and is nowhere near it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...