Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLM

Are the egos at Flowery Branch too big to tank?

46 posts in this topic

Falcons have the 3rd WORST record in the league.  Let that sink in.  Only the Dolphins and Bengals are worse than us.  We are as bad as the Redskins.  There's really no hope for the playoffs.  

In the best interest of the Falcons in the long run, the wise play is to tank this season.  Nothing worse than finishing 6-10 to 9-7 and missing the playoffs.  You don't get post-season excitement or a good pick.

So are the egos at Flowery Branch (TD) too big to tank and do what's best for the franchise?

Oh and here's another question.  TD has been here for like 10+ years.  Name one probowl olinemen he has brought in?  Also, name one GM in the league who doesn't try to protect his franchise QB?  Ill wait.

FWEST1 likes this

4 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

You're never going to convince players and coaches who are performing for huge pay days to lose on purpose.

Lots of teams in different sports have done similar strategies.  Marlins in baseball, Dolphins this year, NBA tanking for Zion.  It has to come from up top.  Strats including sitting out star players or trading them away.

Edited by BLM

I want each and every Tanker and loser on the team to be shipped out. There is a reason, bottom dwellers pick top 10 every year and great teams consistently win games though they pick in 20-30. You play to win the game and tanking doesn't work. Good coaching and football players win games.

WhenFalconsWin and Geneaut like this

Yep we should tank as soon as we are out of the playoffs and can't have a winning season.

That's about 3 weeks away.

Get our bench some more real game playing time, try out some new scenes and looks. It's time to experiment and find some good things to use next year.

Godzilla1985 likes this

3 minutes ago, BLM said:

Lots of teams in different sports have done similar strategies.  Marlins in baseball, Dolphins this year, NBA tanking for Zion.  It has to come from up top.  Strats including sitting out star players or trading them away.

Browns did all that tanking and look where they're at now?

......still losing.

ki46dinah and falcons007 like this

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

I want each and every Tanker and loser on the team to be shipped out. There is a reason, bottom dwellers pick top 10 every year and great teams consistently win games though they pick in 20-30. You play to win the game and tanking doesn't work. Good coaching and football players win games.

Coaches and players still play to win the game.  Management looks to tank.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Well this team has no good coaching so we probably won't even need to tank. But we should

Just now, BLM said:

Coaches and players still play to win the game.  Management looks to tank.

I want Management out of the Organization. They can go to Jags, Browns or other teams who pick in top 10.

I don't agree with tanking. But if you suck and can't win, well that's good and I think that's where this team is at. Ryan and Hooper and other players on offense are trying. The defense is just bad. Judging by last year Flowery brans isn't going to tank,

6 minutes ago, BLM said:

NBA is much different than the NFL.

An NBA team can change on a dime with one or two superstars. That's not the case with the NFL.

Also, the Pelicans lucked into winning the draft lottery. Everyone was surprised that they got the #1 pick, including them.

It may not seem at the moment that the Falcons have any plan at all each week...

BUT the Falcons DO have a plan

1) lose more than enough games in convincing fashion to deliver another miserable season to their fans

2) End up winning just enough games to not have a top 5 draft pick

that the Falcons

cant win when we need to

cant lose when it’s to our benefit to do so

MAD597 likes this

If my team is tanking on purpose.....I want a ***** refund! Not fair at all to the people who actually pay to keep the team going!

14 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Browns did all that tanking and look where they're at now?

......still losing.

Browns actually have one of the best defenses in the league because they tanked.  Verdict is still out on Mayfield, but they could be a good head coach away from being one of the best teams in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Browns actually have one of the best defenses in the league because they tanked.  Verdict is still out on Mayfield, but they could be a good head coach away from being one of the best teams in the NFL.

The Browns still aren't winning. Mayfield has been awful this season. But the Browns still tanked to get him.

There are many teams who are winning that don't tank.

42 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

You're never going to convince players and coaches who are performing for huge pay days to lose on purpose.

That is not at all how tanking works.  

A tank is executed by giving backups more playing time and/or trading away star players.  It has nothing to do with getting the players or coaches to lose on purpose.

I remember a few years ago, Mike Fratello went over it in depth.  

Falcons don't have to worry about tanking.

They are legitimately a bottom 5 team with one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Quinn made disastrous decisions this off season when it came to the dline and now it's in this no-man's land where it doesn't have the right personnel for a 3 man front but yet also doesn't have the right personnel for a 4 man front.

There's not enough defensive acumen on this staff to fix the defense without major trades and the team typically doesn't do it....and probably won't do it as they've already written this season off.

Again, the Browns have one of the best defenses in the NFL because they tanked.  Even if Mayfield is a bust they aren't far off from being one of the top teams in the NFL.  If they had a legit HC they would be.

I think we need to define 'winning' and 'tanking' .  By winning do you mean Super Bowls?  7 - 9 seasons? Making the playoffs, but getting bounced early because you aren't on the same level as elite teams?

When I say tanking, I don't think anyone means having Alex Mack purposely wiff on blocks to sabotage our offense.  I think what most people are saying is sit the bums who have been on this team for 3-4+ years who have suck, but who are good enough to pull out a 7 win season.  The Trufants, the Takk's, Claiborne, Ricardo, etc.  Instead give the players who w have little film on a chance to go in and see if they can play better and if they are worth keeping next season. 

MAD597 likes this

11 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

There are e many teams who are winning that don't tank.

Tanking is not a good strategy in the NFL due to the pain of a pitiful season outweighing the relative the ease of turning over roster with FA.  The salary cap ensures that impactful players at a reasonable cost are always available.

Going all out to win meaningless games late in the season against teams that are already playing backups is an even worse strategy though.   That cost the Falcons a lot of draft capital.

Edited by JeffAtl
MAD597 likes this

3 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

That is not at all how tanking works.  

A tank is executed by giving backups more playing time and/or trading away star players.  It has nothing to do with getting the players or coaches to lose on purpose.

I remember a few years ago, Mike Fratello went over it in depth.  

The only problem is who are the aging vets you can let go for promising young talent.

Trufant?  Julio, Mack, Freeman, Ryan?

So we're realistically talking about 2-3 guys

43 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Thank you...screw the tankers

falcons007 likes this

3 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Again, the Browns have one of the best defenses in the NFL because they tanked.  Even if Mayfield is a bust they aren't far off from being one of the top teams in the NFL.  If they had a legit HC they would be.

I think we need to define 'winning' and 'tanking' .  By winning do you mean Super Bowls?  7 - 9 seasons? Making the playoffs, but getting bounced early because you aren't on the same level as elite teams?

When I say tanking, I don't think anyone means having Alex Mack purposely wiff on blocks to sabotage our offense.  I think what most people are saying is sit the bums who have been on this team for 3-4+ years who have suck, but who are good enough to pull out a 7 win season.  The Trufants, the Takk's, Claiborne, Ricardo, etc.  Instead give the players who w have little film on a chance to go in and see if they can play better and if they are worth keeping next season. 

By winning I mean having a good record, which the Browns don't. Browns can have a really good defense, but it doesn't mean a thing if you are losing games and the team overall isn't good.

The Browns came into this season with extreme hype. The most overhyped team since the 2011 Dream Team Eagles.

falcons007 likes this

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The only problem is who are the aging vets you can let go for promising young talent.

Trufant?  Julio, Mack, Freeman, Ryan?

So we're realistically talking about 2-3 guys

Oh I absolutely agree.  The Falcons aren't constructed to do a proper tank and they really don't need to - the coaching is doing it for them. 

You made a great point earlier that the Falcons truly are a bottom five team.

The good news (IMO), is that this roster is not a bad one.  It just has bad coaches that have lost the team and defensive players that won't listen.

Sun Tzu 7 likes this

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

By winning I mean having a good record, which the Browns don't. Browns can have a really good defense, but it doesn't mean a thing if you are losing games and the team overall isn't good.

The Browns came into this season with extreme hype. The most overhyped team since the 2011 Dream Team Eagles.

Having good talent/good defense is important.  Would you rather be a bad team with bad players or a bad team with good players?  Again, the Browns could be a top tier team with a good HC.  Tanking has done the Browns a lot of good.  They are in good position, just need the right coach.