MAD597

So those 3 wins at the end of last year? Great momentum huh?

303 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, esmithidoc said:

The argument for trying not to win games seems to be that it is pointless to play any given year unless you win a championship. I don't think that way; I try to enjoy every game the Falcons play and always hope for a win. Of course, I want a Super Bowl victory, but it doesn't mean that going to the games was a waste of time if we didn't get one. Life is way too short to be miserable if you are not lifting a Lombardi. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family cheering for the team, win or lose. I hope to someday see Matt Ryan smiling with confetti falling all around him, but prefer not to intentionally try to lose to have the very small chance of getting there.

That same argument can be used for preseason games.  

Again, no one is advocating "purposely losing games" - just don't make it your superbowl.  The crowd had absolutely no energy during the Cardinals game last year.  

Let's not pretend that the Benz was rocking it.  

Osiruz likes this

4 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

don't worry, they will string together some more later on in the season just so we miss out on chase young 

you know it....its the ultimate falcons way

D.B.N. likes this

5 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Those games at the end of last year meant nothing

Be a Falcons fan and care about winning, or hang out on a different message board.

TheTrue7 likes this

One of our problems is we have a head coach who idiotically spent too much of the past preseasons evaluating a bunch of players who weren't going to make the team anyway and not enough time getting our real players in sync and ready to go.

Oh, the next head coach needs to tell Juio no more late summer vacations. Get to work.

Geneaut likes this

4 hours ago, esmithidoc said:

Wins are never meaningless to fans such as myself that actually go to the games. Most teams that lose at the end of the year are still terrible the next year. I vote “win every game you can and worry about next year next year”.

I'd give this post a million likes if I could.

Geneaut and TheTrue7 like this

3 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

They probably think we will win the last ten games. :lol:

Think? No. Hope? Yes.

10 minutes ago, jidady said:

Be a Falcons fan and care about winning, or hang out on a different message board.

I care about winning but I'm not an idiot so I realize that if we don't even have a shot at a winning season it's better for the long term prospects of the franchise to have a better draft pick and get our depth players more real game time experience.

Last year as we saw was the worst possible scenario as we see our team needed a lot more help then a middle round draft provided.

You fools are hung up on single meaningless games while we are concerned for the long term success of the franchise.

Your type is the very definition of short sighted.

JeffAtl likes this

15 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I care about winning but I'm not an idiot

1) No, you don't.

2) In this thread, you absolutely are. You're shamelessly ignoring the fact that Atlanta's top pick broke his foot in the first game in a failed attempt to make a point that's nonsensical and cowardly.

Take your tanker mentality and go quit somewhere else. Real Falcons fans want to win.

18 minutes ago, jidady said:

Think? No. Hope? Yes.

I will just say I have no hope that we will win the next ten. 

AT BEST 5-5 and that would probably be a miracle between the way we have been playing along with the schedule itself.

5 hours ago, MAD597 said:

A lesson to some of you, sometimes you have to lose a battle to in the war. Those 3 wins at the end of last year obviously did not carry over any momentum to this season, did not inspire our coaches or players to perform better this year.

The only thing it did was give us a mid round pick in each draft round. Not only did this impact our pick in the 1st rd it also lessened the value of our picks in each rd. With a top 5 pick which we were on pace for even if we drafted the same players in the first couple of rounds we could have traded back instead of traded up and gotten more picks.As we see this year depth is still a problem, we certainly could have used some more weight across the DL which an extra pick or two could have gotten us if we did not have to trade up for a second OL.

Sometimes a long term strategy comes into play when you are having a losing season and have no shot at the playoff's. Those games at the end of last year meant nothing and hurt the long term progress for this team.

That's effed us up completely!!

Should have tanked!

Dolphins are executing it perfectly....they want to tank and they are playing to lose.

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

1) No, you don't.

2) In this thread, you absolutely are. You're shamelessly ignoring the fact that Atlanta's top pick broke his foot in the first game in a failed attempt to make a point that's nonsensical and cowardly.

Take your tanker mentality and go quit somewhere else. Real Falcons fans want to win.

You are completely delusional

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

1) No, you don't.

Everyone wants to win.

But, in order to to sustain wins for long term we need high draft picks (skill set on defense) to rebuild this crappy defense.

We can win 50% of games rest of the way that doesnt help our case in pragmatic terms.

That's all most have expressed.

Nobody wants to lose....but at this point, we have no effin choice! 

If you are good in algorithms that will suggest what Falcons must do which is TANK!! 

Just now, mattyicefalcon said:

That's all most have expressed.!! 

But that's factually wrong. Every major scouting service heading into the season listed the Falcons as having top eight talent in this league. Some of them even thought we're top two. So, getting talent isn't the issue. It's on-field production and coaching. People want a magic bullet, but we already have that bullet. It's just not magical enough for Atlanta sports luck. 

2 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

You are completely delusional

Says the guy who just made an entire thread predicated on the fact that we should have lost games and thereby gotten a better draft pick, utterly ignoring the fact that our top draft pick is in a walking boot right now.

You lost a debate repeatedly last year. You're retrying to relitigate again, only you don't trust the facts at play enough to present the story accurately. Instead, you're coming across as gloating about the frustration of real Falcons fans. It's classless, petty, and extremely disappointing to read.

Falconsfan567 and TheTrue7 like this

Just now, jidady said:

1) No, you don't.

It seems like you're very happy being mediocre and alternating between 7-9 and 9-7 every year.  Sometimes you have to take 1 step back to take 10 steps forward.

You are also ignoring that draft position carries over to every round.  The Falcons had to completely sacrifice the equivalent of a 2nd round pick for those meaningless wins against backups.

1 minute ago, JeffAtl said:

It seems like you're very happy being mediocre and alternating between 7-9 and 9-7 every year.  Sometimes you have to take 1 step back to take 10 steps forward.

You are also ignoring that draft position carries over to every round.  The Falcons had to completely sacrifice the equivalent of a 2nd round pick for those meaningless wins against backups.

Didn't have to if they had traded Vic during the season like was reported. Could have had a 2nd/3rd round pick. Instead are paying $13MM for nothing. 

Schwarzwald likes this

Just now, JeffAtl said:

It seems like you're very happy being mediocre and alternating between 7-9 and 9-7 every year. 

I'm happy when we win. I'm unhappy when we lose. As for the rest of it, tanking works so well that Cleveland has been down for the body of 20 years. And high draft picks don't help a team any when those players are injured. Nobody questions Keanu Neal's talent, but he's done us no good for the past two years.

Obviously the meaningless game championship crowd aren't going to admit they were wrong. They were wrong like the day is long however.

MAD597 likes this

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Coaching staff is gone, because they’ve lost this team.

Basically what you guys are claiming is intentionally losing makes your team better in the long run. It doesn’t. 

Exactly tanking for draft position says a bit more about your franchise than alot care to worry about.To me if that were the case why not just fire DQ at the end of last season.

Character that’s what those 2-3 wins at the end of last year meant.It may not be showing now but much the same happens 2009 the team couldn’t mathematically make the playoffs but MS and co had the team fight till the end.

I guess alot round here are Johnny come latelys and don’t remember that season.

Are we in for change across the board maybe so but you want your team to fight situation regardless.They may look listless now but you at least have to play for pride.I get the sense round here even if the Falcons did that a losing season a fair percentage on here regardless would throw stones.

Vandy likes this

11 minutes ago, vel said:

Didn't have to if they had traded Vic during the season like was reported. Could have had a 2nd/3rd round pick. Instead are paying $13MM for nothing. 

Both were terrible strategic decisions by Quinn, but one doesn't cancel out the other.

Vandy likes this

9 minutes ago, jidady said:

I'm happy when we win. I'm unhappy when we lose. As for the rest of it, tanking works so well that Cleveland has been down for the body of 20 years. And high draft picks don't help a team any when those players are injured. Nobody questions Keanu Neal's talent, but he's done us no good for the past two years.

Please cite the years that Clevelend has tanked.  I think you are confusing tanking with "being bad". 

I recall one year where they were absorbing bad contracts for draft picks - other than that, they've been trying but were just bad/

Just now, Geneaut said:

Tanking vs not tanking is just one of those subjects I believe no one will ever change anyone's mind about. 

Changing minds don't really matter when the facts speak for themselves.

Even though we won the last 3 games last year we really suck this year (wins did not cary over momentum), Winning those games dropped our draft position by a lot.

Facts, if hard headed idiots want to ignore those facts that's fine but the facts are what they are.

Just now, MAD597 said:

Even though we won the last 3 games last year we really suck this year (wins did not cary over momentum), Winning those games dropped our draft position by a lot.

Facts, if hard headed idiots want to ignore those facts that's fine but the facts are what they are.

OK. So why post? Do you like agitating the forum that much? I mean, it's cool, you can do what you want but what is the actual point?

The facts are this: AB isn't going to let them tank. Nothing we say in here win or lose is going to change that. The Falcons are going to do what they do. You are going to think what you think, other people are going to think what they think, and in the end nothing is going to change.

TheTrue7 likes this

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Winning those games against disinterested teams fielding backups also gave the Falcons a false sense of confidence. 

Instead of treating the offseason with urgency, the Falcons thought they were a 11-5 team that just got some bad breaks and ended up 7-9.  

The reality that those 3 wins obscured was the Falcons were really a 4-12 team that needed major work.

Jerz #Quinning and MAD597 like this