MAD597

So those 3 wins at the end of last year? Great momentum huh?

303 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

I thought it was a good move as well.  First round prospects tend to have about a 60% hit rate, so we should get at least 1 strong starter.

We could have traded down and gotten more picks and still got those two.

Every move you want to make in the draft is easier with a top 5 pick in each round.

Flying Falcon likes this

Just now, Jerz #Quinning said:

I like those guys if we weren't strapped with a QB that needs all the help he can get while ignoring the defense in the first round 2 straight seasons while banking on overrated players(Beasley, Campbell,Tru). I like the vision with those two guys its just the timing of it is off imo.

I don't think any move we could've made in the draft would've saved this team from imploding. This has been brewing for a while, DQ just isn't that guy.
With that being said, it literally doesn't matter who the QB is, investing resources into the OL or DL is almost always a wise decision. 

Osiruz and Geneaut like this

4 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Every move you want to make in the draft is easier with a top 5 pick in each round.

Oh I agree that treating those 3 games like the superbowl was silly.  

I do think the taking of two OL was a good move given the situation we ended up with.

8 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

We weren't the only team interested in Lindstrom.

8 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Well, we still dont know what we have, cause he's injuried.

I like winning. It makes my week better. Champion the Wonder Horse likes winning also, and he's a Champion so he knows something about that.

6 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I don't think any move we could've made in the draft would've saved this team from imploding. This has been brewing for a while, DQ just isn't that guy.
With that being said, it literally doesn't matter who the QB is, investing resources into the OL or DL is almost always a wise decision. 

At the expense of the other side of the ball that was already neglected though? The continuous band-aids put on the defense is just delaying the serious patchwork needed to at least make the defense average. The offense already has 2 hall of famers that take up major cap and thats a huge reason the team looks so lopsided as it is. 

11 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

And? With a top 5 pick we could have traded down and still got him and picked up an extra pick.

3 hours ago, ATL_666 said:

I wonder what those people who were advocating for winning those meaningless games think about this season and how we should finish it, ending on a hot streak or losing for draft position?

I’m sure that have some misplaced optimism that makes them think we should play for pride or some such nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

And? With a top 5 pick we could have traded down and still got him and picked up an extra pick.

I'm not really for or against tanking, that wasn't my point. I was just defending Lindstrom and McGary.

Geneaut likes this

Just now, ChickenBiscuit said:

I'm not really for or against tanking, that wasn't my point. I was just defending Lindstrom and McGary.

That's fine it's just we still could have got them plus maybe an extra DT in the early rounds to help the D if we had a top 5 pick.

5 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

At the expense of the other side of the ball that was already neglected though? The continuous band-aids put on the defense is just delaying the serious patchwork needed to at least make the defense average. The offense already has 2 hall of famers that take up major cap and thats a huge reason the team looks so lopsided as it is. 

It was a risk yes and rebuilding the defense will be a challenge but I'm telling you that if Lindstrom and McGary turn out to be two starting caliber players then we just saved ourselves so much trouble in the future.

Mack doesn't have much gas left, Julio probably should've been traded even though I love him and originally wanted to extend him, and Freeman and Trufant shouldn't even be Falcons. Our cap management and who decide to give contracts to has been shaky to say the least.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

Just now, MAD597 said:

That's fine it's just we still could have got them plus maybe an extra DT in the early rounds to help the D if we had a top 5 pick.

I think we're gonna have a really good shot at Derrick Brown this year, man. We had a huge opportunity to get a pass rusher when we got Beasley and got absolutely screwed with a role player. 

We just can't mess that up this year. Plain and simple. If we do, there's a problem with TD.

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I'll never understand the tankers?

Colts tanked for Luck and he retires early, nothing is a guarantee.

By tank, I think everyone means to rest your stars. Play your depth to get them some game speed experience and help them get better or after seeing them in a game, decide to move on. 

When you’re eliminated from playoff contention, there’s no point in leaving Ryan out there to get killed. Let Schaub take those hits. Let Julio sit out and heal up. Give the rookie running backs some snaps. See if any of the rookies can generate a pass rush. 

I think we’re almost at that point in this season. 

Edited by Dirtier Bird
JeffAtl and MAD597 like this

3 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

By tank, I think everyone means to rest your stars. Play your depth to get them some game speed experience and help them get better or after seeing then in a game, decide to move on. 

When you’re eliminated from playoff contention, there’s no point in leaving Ryan out there to get killed. Let Schaub take those hits. Let Julio sit out and heal up. Give the rookie running backs some snaps. See if any of the rookies can generate a pass rush. 

Tanking is tanking, this is not preseason. 

I'm all for putting the best players on the field, if that happens to be a young guy who is not being paid yet, then by all means go for it.

Geneaut likes this

8 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I think we're gonna have a really good shot at Derrick Brown this year, man. We had a huge opportunity to get a pass rusher when we got Beasley and got absolutely screwed with a role player. 

We just can't mess that up this year. Plain and simple. If we do, there's a problem with TD.

There's already a problem with TD. 11 years and tons of picks on the OL and DL and in FA and most haven't panned out and the OL and DL is always a weakness.

7 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

By tank, I think everyone means to rest your stars. Play your depth to get them some game speed experience and help them get better or after seeing then in a game, decide to move on. 

Yep this is it exactly, let's see what we got in real games and play our depth. At the least it gets them game experience. Let's also try out new schemes on both sides.

Basically this is a debate between who are in their feelings and who are using logic.  If our team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention at that point there is no benefit of continuing to win games.  There is no such thing as building a winning culture.  We won those last 3 games in '18 and it surely has not translated into a winning culture this year as we should be 0-6.  Logically, getting backups and players that weren't active on gamedays like Hill and Ollison more playing time so that they can get more reps and become more of an asset to the team which is another plus.  The draft is a crapshoot and nothing is guaranteed but in every round especially the first round, I want dibs on the best pool of players available.    I don't want to win meaningless games so I can puff my chest out and watch highlights on sportscenter.  I WANT A ******* LOMBARDI!

MAD597 likes this

19 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

There's already a problem with TD. 11 years and tons of picks on the OL and DL and in FA and most haven't panned out and the OL and DL is always a weakness.

Actually the Oline has been a runaway success compared to the dline.

Between the draft and free agency the Falcons have gotten Pro-Bowlers on the oline at every position except maybe Guard in the TD era.  2 different Pro Bowl RTs.  Pro Bowl Center.  Pro Bowl LT.

On the dline you have?  Maybe Grady and Beasley's one year. Claiborne has been nice.  Other than that?

2 hours ago, vel said:

This is why I laughed at the whole "momentum" argument. It's just not a real thing. Winning in January 2019 has no impact on what this team is doing now. Rosters turnover too much to try and make a momentum argument. Those three wins didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It honestly provided a false sense of hope that this team wasn't that bad and that they "found their footing" yet you fired every coordinator on the team. So whatever "momentum" you had you kicked out the door. 

I made the comparison that it was like training for a marathon and then taking 6 months off before running one.

Yeah that whole "momentum" argument is make believe.

People want to talk about jobs and pride.   Sure.  No argument there.

The team is never going to tank on purpose so those arguments are always foolish.

Now if we want to discuss the benefits of winning games at the end of a lost season like this one then there's something to talk about.  Other than padding stats none of those games are going to matter.

Beasley isn't getting better with more reps.... Takk is starting to look like a lost cause in this scheme..

Get the younger guys the reps so the next staff has a better idea of what they're working with.  See if you can unload Freeman and Sanu now while you might be able to get anything for them.... and I mean anything.

Start playing Senat and make Crawford inactive. Would we even notice?

MAD597, Geneaut and vel like this

The argument for trying not to win games seems to be that it is pointless to play any given year unless you win a championship. I don't think that way; I try to enjoy every game the Falcons play and always hope for a win. Of course, I want a Super Bowl victory, but it doesn't mean that going to the games was a waste of time if we didn't get one. Life is way too short to be miserable if you are not lifting a Lombardi. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family cheering for the team, win or lose. I hope to someday see Matt Ryan smiling with confetti falling all around him, but prefer not to intentionally try to lose to have the very small chance of getting there.

jidady and Geneaut like this

At the end of the day I just want to win. Every game. All season long. 

As a fan it's not my job or responsibility to worry about how our W/L record relates to our draft. The GM and coaches get paid to worry about that crap. They can lose sleep over it because I'm not. If we lose out and get a high pick I'm certainly not going to give it back to the NFL in protest, but I'm not going to root for that outcome. Ever.

jidady, esmithidoc and TheTrue7 like this

25 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Basically this is a debate between who are in their feelings and who are using logic.  If our team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention at that point there is no benefit of continuing to win games.  There is no such thing as building a winning culture.  We won those last 3 games in '18 and it surely has not translated into a winning culture this year as we should be 0-6.  Logically, getting backups and players that weren't active on gamedays like Hill and Ollison more playing time so that they can get more reps and become more of an asset to the team which is another plus.  The draft is a crapshoot and nothing is guaranteed but in every round especially the first round, I want dibs on the best pool of players available.    I don't want to win meaningless games so I can puff my chest out and watch highlights on sportscenter.  I WANT A ******* LOMBARDI!

Yep, this guy gets it, exactly

39 minutes ago, esmithidoc said:

The argument for trying not to win games seems to be that it is pointless to play any given year unless you win a championship. I don't think that way; I try to enjoy every game the Falcons play and always hope for a win. Of course, I want a Super Bowl victory, but it doesn't mean that going to the games was a waste of time if we didn't get one. Life is way too short to be miserable if you are not lifting a Lombardi. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family cheering for the team, win or lose. I hope to someday see Matt Ryan smiling with confetti falling all around him, but prefer not to intentionally try to lose to have the very small chance of getting there.

Even the concept of having a winning season is still something worth playing for, BUT if you can't even have a winning season and are in a situation like us it is a much better plan to play your depth players and experiment with schemes and roster packages then pretend the last part of a lost season means anything. In the next 3 games we likely won't even be able to have a winning season.

Once you mathematically can't even have a winning season it's time to prepare for future seasons.

Jerz #Quinning likes this