MAD597

So those 3 wins at the end of last year? Great momentum huh?

303 posts in this topic

On 10/14/2019 at 8:44 AM, Vandy said:

Yup..,,this team would be 5-1 instead of 1-5 if we had tanked (purposely lost) those 3 games. 

lesson learned. :ninja:

Vandy, I don't think the OP was suggesting that.  I can see the logic in the original post.  There is no such thing as momentum from one season to the next.  

A long range plan is necessary to have long term success.  Winning three meaningless games COULD have provided long term improvements to the roster.  Even the ability to trade down, draft the same players we ended up getting AND acquiring extra future draft picks would have been better for the team than winning 3 games against mediocre teams.  

This subject has had its run.  Some people believe that never say die.  I can respect that, but I like to take a broader view and plan for the future. This season appears to be getting out of hand.  If we don't go on a winning streak soon, I am not so sure that a few moral victories would be in the team's best interest.  

13 hours ago, Vandy said:

And I also disagree this is a “Straight up bottom 5 team”. They’ve certainly played like one, but we all know they should be playing a lot better than they have. Higher draft picks....unless they they were also coaches....wouldn’t have changed any of that.

Parcells once said that "you are what your record says you are" 

We are a bottom 5 team.  Perhaps we could go on a great winning streak....it could happen.  But right now (in the real world) we are a bottom 5 team.  

Flying Falcon likes this

12 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

Good point.  "Getting the players and coaches to intentionally lose" is a strawman.  No one is advocating that.

The organization should have used the last few games last year to evaluate and develop the overall roster.  Essentially treat the games like an enhanced preseason.  Every play and coach plays at 100%, but the eye being on evaluation, game experience and execution rather than the scoreboard.

Well said.  Evaluate who will be on the roster next season while reducing injury risk to your best players.  

Flying Falcon and JeffAtl like this

6 hours ago, etherdome said:

Parcells once said that "you are what your record says you are" 

We are a bottom 5 team.  Perhaps we could go on a great winning streak....it could happen.  But right now (in the real world) we are a bottom 5 team.  

We are right now for sure. But I am of the belief that better coaching would change that narrative. 

talent-wise, you won’t convince me we are a bottom 5 team. 

6 hours ago, etherdome said:

Vandy, I don't think the OP was suggesting that.  I can see the logic in the original post.  There is no such thing as momentum from one season to the next.  

A long range plan is necessary to have long term success.  Winning three meaningless games COULD have provided long term improvements to the roster.  Even the ability to trade down, draft the same players we ended up getting AND acquiring extra future draft picks would have been better for the team than winning 3 games against mediocre teams.  

This subject has had its run.  Some people believe that never say die.  I can respect that, but I like to take a broader view and plan for the future. This season appears to be getting out of hand.  If we don't go on a winning streak soon, I am not so sure that a few moral victories would be in the team's best interest.  

OP was digging those of us against tanking. And nobody ever said there was “momentum from one season to the next”, where is that Nonsense coming from? 

I think it’s a whacko ‘plan for the future’ to tank. 

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

We are right now for sure. But I am of the belief that better coaching would change that narrative. 

so on defense outside of grady and debo, who is that talented ??

2 hours ago, caponine said:

so on defense outside of grady and debo, who is that talented ??

Playing poorly isn’t the same as being a bottom 5 talent. We’re not a bottom 5 talent in any unit.....DL, LB, DB....on D. 

As I’ve said in here for two years now, biggest problem on defense has been the coaching. Even last year When everyone was blaming the injuries, I could see it. 

Speaking of being right, how did you like Freeman’s game? Still think he’s “got nothing”? :)

kiwifalcon and Falconsfan567 like this

21 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Playing poorly isn’t the same as being a bottom 5 talent. We’re not a bottom 5 talent in any unit.....DL, LB, DB....on D. 

As I’ve said in here for two years now, biggest problem on defense has been the coaching. Even last year When everyone was blaming the injuries, I could see it. 

Speaking of being right, how did you like Freeman’s game? Still think he’s got nothing? :)

This is it like your saying this roster alot of it was here in 2016 & 17.The talents here we know this so what’s the common denominator which hasn’t allowed  this talent to perform.

Coaching and off field and in game decision making is what’s buried this team the last 2 seasons outside of injuries.

The only reason you come up with bottom 5 roster is if your buried into this 1-5 start this year.

Falconsfan567 and Vandy like this

24 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Speaking of being right, how did you like Freeman’s game? Still think he’s “got nothing”? :)

I've told you and kiwi what I thought already lol 

1 hour ago, caponine said:

I've told you and kiwi what I thought already lol 

Doesn’t really matter, because nobody pays you any attention since went full-troll mode on us. 

jidady likes this

Just now, Vandy said:

Doesn’t really matter, because nobody pays you any attention since went full-troll on us. 

So why did you ask 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Ask what? I was responding to your post quoting me. 

You asked how did I like freemans game and said still think he's got nothing 

8 hours ago, caponine said:

You asked how did I like freemans game and said still think he's got nothing 

Dude...You’re head’s so screwed up playing the troll, you don’t even know the difference between a real question and a rhetorical one. 

jidady and falconsd56 like this

On 10/14/2019 at 7:28 PM, Mescalito said:

Who is the defensive player that everyone wants that we'll inevitably lose out on getting in the draft this year anyway?

Derrick Brown

9 hours ago, Vandy said:

I'll take this to my grave, the 2019 Atlanta Falcons, if fully healthy have one of the most talented teams in the NFL. But the thing holding them back is coaching. Said that back in August. I still fully believe that.

Vandy and Geneaut like this

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'll take this to my grave, the 2019 Atlanta Falcons, if fully healthy have one of the most talented teams in the NFL. But the thing holding them back is coaching. Said that back in August. I still fully believe that.

We don't have that many serious injury issues, this team just sucks plain and simple

17 hours ago, Vandy said:

Dude...You’re head’s so screwed up playing the troll, you don’t even know the difference between a real question and a rhetorical one. 

you had to know that i would say something back,...

anyway youre getting off topic. What is all this talent we have on defense  

22 minutes ago, caponine said:

you had to know that i would say something back,...

anyway youre getting off topic. What is all this talent we have on defense  

That’s not what I said troll-boy. I said this wasn’t a bottom 5 talented team. 

Offensively for sure, but also defensively. 

See, that’s what happens when you decide to become a troll. You Start skimming away from the truth. 

Losing those three games would have zero effect on the 2019 **** season; it wouldn't have gotten DQ fired, and we needed the OL help that we got from the past draft. It doesn't matter who we could have drafted because Dan Quinn is still the coach, and the defense would still suck. Win or lose those games, and we'd still be looking at lots of changes for 2020, where we will likely have a top 5 pick, and possibly end up with a good DE. I think last year's draft went well and that the team will be able to build off the OL pieces along with Sheffield. We obviously need better edge rushers, and I like this year's draft better than last year for finding the best DE.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

That’s not what I said troll-boy. I said this wasn’t a bottom 5 talented team. 

Offensively for sure, but also defensively. 

See, that’s what happens when you decide to become a troll. You Start skimming away from the truth. 

.... still not telling me what talent we have on defense troll or not

Edited by caponine

3 hours ago, caponine said:

.... still not telling me what talent we have on defense troll or not

Takk, Beasley, Clayton were all 1st round picks. Oliver was a 2nd round pick. You don't get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round if you're not talented.

There's a massive difference between being talented and being a good football player. Those guys aren't good football players but it would be wrong to say that they're not talented.

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Takk, Beasley, Clayton were all 1st round picks. Oliver was a 2nd round pick. You don't get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round if you're not talented.

There's a massive difference between being talented and being a good football player. Those guys aren't good football players but it would be wrong to say that they're not talented.

we have seen it week in and week out for the last 3 years they are not that talented even when healthy. 

Just now, caponine said:

we have seen it week in and week out for the last 3 years they are not that talented even when healthy. 

You're confusing talent with being a good football player. Those are two different things. Again, you don't get drafted high in the draft if you're not amazingly talented. But there's so much more to being a good football player than just having talent. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have heart, desire, natural instincts, ect. you're going to be a terrible football player.

Geneaut likes this