fuego

Dan Quinn has lost the Atlanta Falcons locker room

55 posts in this topic

Not much good can be taken from a 1-5 start, without saying a word, the Atlanta Falcons are speaking loud and clear on how they feel about Dan Quinn.

There are some bright spots for the Atlanta Falcons and we will get to those over the next couple of days; there is something that needs to be written now – Dan Quinn has lost the locker room and it could not be clearer.

There were several points during today’s broadcast on FOX where the cameras panned the Falcons sideline and it was clear that those that suit-up for the Falcons no longer respect Dan Quinn as their coach. I am sure they respect him from a man-to-man perspective, but players know how to get coaches fired and their body language and play on the field are showing just that.

Time after time this afternoon, players were unresponsive on the sideline, looking past coaches and teammates and were counting down the time they have left. They are uninspired and lethargic, oftentimes showing minimal effort at the snap of the ball.

We hear from captains such as Julio Jones and Grady Jarrett that the team has great weeks of practice but then look unprepared on the field and give less than full effort. The players are telling anyone paying attention they are done playing for Dan Quinn and the staff that he has put together.

There is a thought that everyone overvalued the Falcons roster and the talent within it, however, after much thought that is not the case. Sure, this roster lacks in areas like starting corners, but overall there is a ton of talent on this roster.

The only conclusion that leaves is the players no longer want to play for Dan Quinn. Arthur Blank has a tough decision to make and he has to make it sooner than he wants, while firing nice guys is not easy to do, the future success of his franchise depends on it.

Vandy, vitaman, roguebeaver and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda laugh at the coach has lost the team bit.

If that’s so and your watching it from afar what does it say about the players who aren’t putting in as some still are situation regardless.

What the coach is saying may well not go over but you still gotta turn up and do your job week in week out.

The adage applies when the going gets tough the tough get going they don’t just lie down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I kinda laugh at the coach has lost the team bit.

If that’s so and your watching it from afar what does it say about the players who aren’t putting in as some still are situation regardless.

What the coach is saying may well not go over but you still gotta turn up and do your job week in week out.

The adage applies when the going gets tough the tough get going they don’t just lie down.

its a mentality , you cant turn it on n off like the falcons try to do. I agree players are giving up what does that say about guys like Takk, Rico, Oliver etc. 

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CTann said:

Won’t be a “tough decision” for Arthur once he sees the many empty seats in his brand new stadium.

He saw it first hand today. I was at the game, about 10 rows behind the bench on the 45. It was clear that the players weren't responding to DQ. Debo seemed to get into it with DQ at least twice. Others activly avoided DQ. AB was on the sideline. If I saw it, he saw it too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the players quit......but then go out and force 3 strait punts?? And the offense scores 17 unanswered points?

They should habe forced a 4th punt but the refs litterally gave the cards a first down.

And then rallys again to score the would be game tying touchdown with less than 2 minutes left??

 

That seems like an awfully high amount of effort for a team that "quit"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

So the players quit......but then go out and force 3 strait punts?? And the offense scores 17 unanswered points?

They should habe forced a 4th punt but the refs litterally gave the cards a first down.

And then rallys again to score the would be game tying touchdown with less than 2 minutes left??

 

That seems like an awfully high amount of effort for a team that "quit"

They didn't quit. Not sure where that came from. It seemed like they were more upset about what was being called. They absolutely engaged with their position coaches. The LBers seemingly shrugged off DQ but went straight to Ulbrich...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caponine said:

its a mentality , you cant turn it on n off like the falcons try to do. I agree players are giving up what does that say about guys like Takk, Rico, Oliver etc. 

This is how I’d look at it if I were looking from afar why would I bother signing guys like this if at the sign of adversity these guys are going to throw in the towel.

I guess this has a bit to do with that sought of player a coach wants and the FO scout.We wanted guys with athleticism and once that’s neutralised what else do you have.

For me it’s then details and self evaluation if you aren’t ready to have a look at yourself and accept what I’m doing may not be working and are willing to try something else that’s an issue right there.I’ve seen it in many a sport players getting by with just what there strengths are and as above once they’ve exposed there’s not much left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

They didn't quit. Not sure where that came from. It seemed like they were more upset about what was being called. They absolutely engaged with their position coaches. The LBers seemingly shrugged off DQ but went straight to Ulbrich...

See I saw Debo and Quinn together and they seemed fully engaged with eachother...I did not see the cold shoulders that you are talking about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, falconsd56 said:

See I saw Debo and Quinn together and they seemed fully engaged with eachother...I did not see the cold shoulders that you are talking about

They were yelling at each other at one point...

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Narrative. This is about poor coaching not players quitting; unless your name is Vic Beasley.

Even Beasley is poor coaching. They aren't putting these guys in a decent scheme. DQs defense isn't good, and it doesn't put anyone in a position to succeed.

 

The D was decent 2 years ago, with a lot of the same players. Last year, injuries got us. But then we got rid of Alford, and DQ took over. DQs zone scheme is basic, essentially a base cover 3 zone. It's not about creating turnovers, or stopping anyone, it's a basic "bend but don't break" model.

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I think Quinn's been workin' 'em pretty hard, lately, trying to get the kinks out, and some of the "slackers" don't like it.  LOL!  So, I don't think he's lost this team at all....just tryin' to get the best out of each player, for the team's sake!  Hopefully it'll work, sooner, rather than later ---  :) 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Even Beasley is poor coaching. They aren't putting these guys in a decent scheme. DQs defense isn't good, and it doesn't put anyone in a position to succeed.

 

The D was decent 2 years ago, with a lot of the same players. Last year, injuries got us. But then we got rid of Alford, and DQ took over. DQs zone scheme is basic, essentially a base cover 3 zone. It's not about creating turnovers, or stopping anyone, it's a basic "bend but don't break" model.

Nah, Beasley is a situational pass rusher that doesn’t really want to play football.

I just blame Dan for sticking with him...we could’ve sign another pass rusher to a 1 year deal that can actually play OLB in 3-4...

Vic?? He can’t play Base DE in 4 man front nor upright in the new base.

Situational rusher for $13M that does nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I kinda laugh at the coach has lost the team bit.

If that’s so and your watching it from afar what does it say about the players who aren’t putting in as some still are situation regardless.

What the coach is saying may well not go over but you still gotta turn up and do your job week in week out.

The adage applies when the going gets tough the tough get going they don’t just lie down.

You know as much as i wish that was true it's not always the case.  This goes back into a normal work environment too.  If you have a manager that you just don't respect and are tired of seeing and hate your job because of that manager.  Alot of times you will start slacking on your job and not giving it all like you would for a leader you wanted to be there for and cared about to make you love your job.  Even more so if you are a better employee or in their case player and bust your *** and think you should be either a leader or in their case a starter but they keep putting other people in your spot that can't get the job done.  You will again quit putting in as much effort because you feel what you are doing is wasting your time and effort if no one will notice how much you are putting in or if their playing favorites. 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the defense is frustrated because, clearly, the defense that Quinn is scheming for them doesn't work. He can talk about how it worked for the Legion of Boom, but they had a d-line that got after the quarterback and a bunch of ballhawks that made the tackles, forced turnovers, and made life miserable for opposing offenses. Quinn thinks that if it worked for them, it'll work for any personnel. I wonder if that's the source of frustration? The players aren't playing a system suited to their strengths and no adjustments are being made. 

Emmitt and Flying Falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The optimist in me wonders if the “new” scheme Quinn came up with just takes time for the players to learn. Similar to shanahan’s first season. 

The O.D.B likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 11=team said:

Unresponsive players?  If disloyal to the coach they will betray everyone.  Get rid of the bad apples!

no offense, this came across as funny like a parody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I kinda laugh at the coach has lost the team bit.

If that’s so and your watching it from afar what does it say about the players who aren’t putting in as some still are situation regardless.

What the coach is saying may well not go over but you still gotta turn up and do your job week in week out.

The adage applies when the going gets tough the tough get going they don’t just lie down.

Team morale and output being down is a common result of a boss or manager not being up to snuff in the common folk workplace.  The same applies to sports as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Team morale and output being down is a common result of a boss or manager not being up to snuff in the common folk workplace.  The same applies to sports as well.

What I’m getting at here if the ones you think have thrown in the towel would you sign these guys if they are let go.

I know I wouldn’t.

I also think the above mentioned have cost themselves millions in some cases and long term job security.Beasley especially.Trufants another one he’s lucky though as he’s probably set but first mentioned has though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor guy. He only wanted Vic to love him or hate him. In return the whole team hates him. But it’s all his fault. He preached Brotherhood and it’s showing they are their brothers keeper. 

Flying Falcon and Geneaut like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

He saw it first hand today. I was at the game, about 10 rows behind the bench on the 45. It was clear that the players weren't responding to DQ. Debo seemed to get into it with DQ at least twice. Others activly avoided DQ. AB was on the sideline. If I saw it, he saw it too...

Hot diggity dog!!! Fireworks!!! I like fireworks!!!

tenor.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now