The O.D.B

We need to keep Quinn

98 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, quotemokc said:

Quinn was meant to fix the defense this year.

It has gotten worse, much worse.

Bring in an offensive minded HC and that will bring stability for the rest of Ryan's career. 

This is a great point.  The defense is getting worse as the season goes on.  DQ got everyone he asked for in offseason - Tyeler Davison, Adrian Clayborn, Allen Bailey, Kendall Sheffield, John Cominskey and Jordan Miller.   Perhaps DQ wanted the Clemson DT - but that’s not the difference in this season right now - no one believes that.

If DQ is a defensive guru - fix the defense NOW.

@The O.D.B is already advocating for next year - why?  DQ has this year - fix it now!

What is next year gonna do?

Vandy, quotemokc and Flying Falcon like this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

This is a great point.  The defense is getting worse as the season goes on.  DQ got everyone he asked for in offseason - Tyeler Davison, Adrian Clayborn, Allen Bailey, Kendall Sheffield, John Cominskey and Jordan Miller.   Perhaps DQ wanted the Clemson DT - but that’s not the difference in this season right now - no one believes that.

If DQ is a defensive guru - fix the defense NOW.

@The O.D.B is already advocating for next year - why?  DQ has this year - fix it now!

What is next year gonna do?

The only player that could have made a difference right now is Brian Burns but I think everyone in the FO was staying away after Bustley...still have no ******* clue why we bought him back on 5th year option.

g-dawg and Flying Falcon like this

2 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

Kyle is 14-22 :ninja:

Kyle lost his starting QB last year. Look at that team now. They know the system, the defense is great, and the offense is scoring points. They are clicking and beating teams in dominant fashion. I'll admit that they haven't had the strongest schedule, but they are embarrassing the cupcakes. No, I'm not sitting here saying they are contenders, but they are trending upward. Ever since Kyle left we've steadily been heading in the opposite direction. 

Flying Falcon and Vandy like this

2 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

I won't argue Shanny's massive contribution to that team but, you also have to take into consideration DQs defensive contributions in that run as well as how many Rooks we had a key positions.

Go back and look at the scores in the regular season of 2016. We needed a historic offense to get the job done. The D came up big in the playoffs, though. I think a lot of us have been hanging onto those few games as if it proves DQ's worthiness. We had a flash of what looked like potential, but our defense hasn't achieved greatness under his tutelage. His defense is a Madden cheat code for other teams. I'm not normally a fan who overreacts or expresses a strong opinion, but this team sucks and we can't blame Sark or Marquand Manuel anymore. They're gone and the team has regressed quite a bit since those coaches were fired. 

32 minutes ago, Jen said:

Kyle lost his starting QB last year. Look at that team now. They know the system, the defense is great, and the offense is scoring points. They are clicking and beating teams in dominant fashion. I'll admit that they haven't had the strongest schedule, but they are embarrassing the cupcakes. No, I'm not sitting here saying they are contenders, but they are trending upward. Ever since Kyle left we've steadily been heading in the opposite direction. 

Also, they poured resources into the side of the ball Shanahan doesn't coach because they knew his coaching and scheme would make up for talent. That's exactly what Quinn was supposed to do. They put all of the resources in the offense because Quinn's "simple" scheme was supposed to make it easy for guys to make plays based mostly on speed. Shanahan's defense is balling with resources like Bosa and the rest of the line and his offense is scoring enough to win. Quinn's offense is scoring enough to win for the most part, but his defense is atrocious. He has never been without his starting quarterback. He bet on himself and lost and now it's time for a change. 

Jen, JDaveG, Flying Falcon and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

Arthur once said when he took over the Falcons, he talked to all the storied franchises in the NFL for some tips and all told him that not to jump to hasty decisions because stability is more important.

And yet he fired Dan Reeves :bang:

3 hours ago, Bigbenright said:

Obviously DQ's defensive scheme as well as most is dependent on a good pass rush. DQ believed he could create a pass rush with Beasley and the current roster when probably 95% of this message board wanted Beasley gone. He needed an improved o-line (he cannot help that Lindstrom got injured) and ignored improving the pass rush in the off season. His defensive scheme would probably work better if he had made better roster decisions. He will and should pay the consequences for those decisions.

It doesn’t help his pass rushers haven’t actually gone to bat for him.

His defensive scheme would work if players actually did there jobs.

The Beasley decision will probably end him though and the thought process behind thinking that the return of Debo Rico and Neal to the back half of his defense would make the difference.

He also couldn’t have accounted for the drop off in his secondaries performance also.

Ultimately the draft decisions he and the GM made have been proven ineffective throw in bad inconsistent coaching and we have what we have.

Sad to state this but the fans and the bottom line plays more of a factor in the head coach staying than we realize. With Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid and Jason Garrett, those fans are more supportive of those teams, even in losing seasons. Arrowhead and Heinz field sale out on losing seasons, Cowboys are "America's team" very supportive, there everywhere. They wanted Jason Garrett gone every year for the past half a decade at least, still came to the game and he's still coaching the team. We don't operate like that sad to say. I don't have room to talk, been to the Benz 3 times since it opened, can't afford the tickets. I would say we the consumer probably play a 50% role in this at least.

Stevo likes this

Continuity is important and I agree that coaching changes shouldn’t be hastily made for that read, but there comes a point when you know that someone simply isn’t good enough and it becomes necessary.

What does DQ actually do well? What makes you think “We are going to turn this around in 2020 because DQ is going to...”.

His defensive scheme is poor, and seems to lack basic adjustments. He seem to do a poor job teaching it to the players”. Our fundamentals are poor. We play neither fast nor physical. We are undisciplined and sloppy.

The only thing DQ does well for me, is talk a good game. I give him credit firm the whole brotherhood thing in 2016. We caught lightning in a bottle that year because the players bought in to it, but that was 3 years ago. 

Vandy, g-dawg and HouseofEuphoria like this

In a lot of ways DQ reminds me of another former AFHC,Jerry Glanville.The players at first bought in to his gimmicks,though a former player,HOFer Warren Moon,said"they'll get tired of him".They did and the team started losing.Thats whats happened here,he calls a D that everyone knows how to beat,but refuses to change.JG biggest guy on D was Tim Green at 245! He refused to change and the rest is history.

Flying Falcon and Vandy like this

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

This team is not injury riddled.  We basically are healthy team.

New coaches you say? That was Quinn’s call.

The Defense?  It’s Quinn’s defense and QUINN is leading it and we are 31st ranked defense in the NFL - only better than a team that was purposely tanking before the season started.

:lol::lol:

If Matt Ryan who has been in the league since 2008 needs yet another learning curve! He’s not very intelligent and should be in another profession that requires less thinking and improvising!

I actually for some reason think Quinn and staff will get another shot next year...hear me out before you murder me lol.

Quinn:

He did change the scheme somewhat to a 3-4/5-2 and doesn't necessarily have the players to run it best, was this change neccessary? We are for sure headed for a top 5 draft pick as we have the toughest remaining schedule for the season...I honestly don't see many wins coming this season. The staff has shown to be better at drafting than what we had previously. So with prime draft position and some cuts, some 3-4 specific players can come in. I don't know that the team has quit on him because yesterday they came back from a large deficit and balled on both sides of the ball during that time and the catalyst on defense was an ADJUSTMENT to man coverage. So that tells me some of the players can play and some are past overachievers who have had their real underachiever selves show up, and they need to go (Beasley,Cambell,Ishmael).

The O.D.B and Stevo like this

8 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

Removing DQ is a mistake. I can feel this with every cell of my being. Given my disgust and frustration for this season, as well as the inherent frustration and disgust that goes along with being a Falcons fan, It's not easy to say this. I don't believe he's lost the team, I don't believe he's forgot how to coach, I don't believe HC/DC is too much for him. I do believe it's easier to win again with someone you've already won with previously and I believe a Quinn dismissal costs us more than this season, I believe it costs us our foreseeable future.   

I would dissect this... But I'm going to agree for a different reason

I say keep him atleast until the end of the season.....It's going to be a really good thing to have the number one overall draft choice...

And I'm being serious.....

HouseofEuphoria and The O.D.B like this

All I’m going to say is 3rd and 15 last week. The guy was brought in to fix the D he didn’t it’s actually gotten worse. We have enough talent to have a top 10 D and he has no clue how to be aggressive with his play calling.

Vandy and Flying Falcon like this

Quinn had the misfortune of having a breakout first season that saw the birds go to the dance, only to get their Wheaties peed on by the Pats and Refs.

He inherited a solid team at the time and, has since orchestrated losing seasons since that breakout. Changing Assistants to former Assistants has not brought the expected result.

This Team has quit on the coach and seem to be playing just for the check each week. 
Sure, yesterday was a close game. Between two cellar dwellers. 

I’ve seen some really bad seasons from this team over the years. But, this is a new low. There seems to be no cohesion, or, perhaps the Coaches have already lost the team?

9 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

We need to keep Quinn. I listened to the game on the radio, while driving from Cali to AZ (shaking my head all the way),  so, there is nothing from today that's changed my mind on this. I don't  know how I have any faith left to make this statement but, I do have faith.

Letting go of Quinn will give Matt yet another learning curve to deal with as he's nearing the last part of his career.
Letting go of Quinn will likely mean the dismantling of the greatest Falcons roster to ever take the field.

Arthur once said when he took over the Falcons, he talked to all the storied franchises in the NFL for some tips and all told him that not to jump to hasty decisions because stability is more important. guys like Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid and Jason Garrett would not have jobs today if not for those franchises valuing stability and a guy like Shanahan might be on the street after two years of injury without valuing stability.

At the end of Smitty's tenure I didn't want to see his time end over 2 injury riddled seasons but, I could tell it was time, I don't think the same with DQ. DQ went down the same road a Smitty, in feeling some heat after the first injury season and then, making changes to try and insure success the next, to the same results thus far, a mistake for sure. In his tenure this team has been competitive more often than it's not.

This season is likely lost at this point and I have no reasonable argument for how things are so bad. I do hate DKs play-calling and whatever changes DQ made on defense is making everyone look like they just got the playbook yesterday but, these are things that should be fixed by now so, I'm at a loss.

Removing DQ is a mistake. I can feel this with every cell of my being. Given my disgust and frustration for this season, as well as the inherent frustration and disgust that goes along with being a Falcons fan, It's not easy to say this. I don't believe he's lost the team, I don't believe he's forgot how to coach, I don't believe HC/DC is too much for him. I do believe it's easier to win again with someone you've already won with previously and I believe a Quinn dismissal costs us more than this season, I believe it costs us our foreseeable future.   

Well, you have your opinion.  Nothing wrong with that.  I think Quinn can't get it done.  Doesn't matter about Matt and the talent on the roster.  2016 was our year, we let NE have it instead.  We just past the sing, the road called Dan Quinn is a dead end.  You can keep driving down it expecting more if you want.  Eventually you have to change directions.  The longer we stay on this path, the longer the journey will be.  I said the same thing about Mark Richt 5 years before UGA finally parted ways with him.

I don't understand how you can say the season is lost after 6 games, but think its not on the coaches in a big way.  Especially if we have "the greatest Falcons roster to ever take the field."  The plans that the coaches put in place don't work.  The players don't execute.  I agree with the announcer yesterday that talked about how the Falcons play zone compared to everyone else.  I've said this for over a decade.  It seems like multiple coaches that the Falcons have as well as the players believe the same.  That is if they occupy a area of turf, they are not to move from it unless someone has the ball.  If a WR comes in your direction, I think a defender has to cover him.  Not wait until he catches the ball.  I understand that zones get flooded and something may open behind you if you move.  Despite that, I see other teams execute zone defenses much better than we do.

The O.D.B likes this

4 hours ago, ukfalc said:

Continuity is important and I agree that coaching changes shouldn’t be hastily made for that read, but there comes a point when you know that someone simply isn’t good enough and it becomes necessary.

What does DQ actually do well? What makes you think “We are going to turn this around in 2020 because DQ is going to...”.

His defensive scheme is poor, and seems to lack basic adjustments. He seem to do a poor job teaching it to the players”. Our fundamentals are poor. We play neither fast nor physical. We are undisciplined and sloppy.

The only thing DQ does well for me, is talk a good game. Igive him credit firm the whole brotherhood thing in 2016. We caught lightning in a bottle that year because the players bought in to it, but that was 3 years ago. 

Meh...,That 2016 team’s success was way more Shanny than Quinn. 

We just need a DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR who can get these guys going quick so we can get into the playoffs.   HIRE ONE QUINN!  You are the HC find a defensive coordinator NOW!

Stevo likes this

I like Coach Quinn, but..

He and TD might draft that Safety from L.S.U. with the #5 pick, and sign fill-in Free Agents at DE and DT.bOr trade-dow. For a bunch of mid-level picks. This 2020 draft and NFL Free Agency is weak in pass-rushers.

He is married to this scheme, and a defensive line or offensive line Pro Bowl prospect can no longer be ignored.

A lack of Pass-rush can no longer be ignored.

Even it they select a CB, he better be fast, smart, and bigger than any of the last few 1st round CBs of this draft.

11 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

We need to keep Quinn. I listened to the game on the radio, while driving from Cali to AZ (shaking my head all the way),  so, there is nothing from today that's changed my mind on this. I don't  know how I have any faith left to make this statement but, I do have faith.

Letting go of Quinn will give Matt yet another learning curve to deal with as he's nearing the last part of his career.
Letting go of Quinn will likely mean the dismantling of the greatest Falcons roster to ever take the field.

Arthur once said when he took over the Falcons, he talked to all the storied franchises in the NFL for some tips and all told him that not to jump to hasty decisions because stability is more important. guys like Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid and Jason Garrett would not have jobs today if not for those franchises valuing stability and a guy like Shanahan might be on the street after two years of injury without valuing stability.

At the end of Smitty's tenure I didn't want to see his time end over 2 injury riddled seasons but, I could tell it was time, I don't think the same with DQ. DQ went down the same road a Smitty, in feeling some heat after the first injury season and then, making changes to try and insure success the next, to the same results thus far, a mistake for sure. In his tenure this team has been competitive more often than it's not.

This season is likely lost at this point and I have no reasonable argument for how things are so bad. I do hate DKs play-calling and whatever changes DQ made on defense is making everyone look like they just got the playbook yesterday but, these are things that should be fixed by now so, I'm at a loss.

Quinn isn't going to shake up the culture. It's over. It's a shame, he might coach well elsewhere, but he needs to go, as do a bunch of players on this sorry defense.