The O.D.B

We need to keep Quinn

98 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Jen said:

DQ barely has a .500 record as a head coach. He's done nothing to prove he can have success as a head coach. Shanahan and a historic offense is why we got to the SB. DQ simply was along for the ride.

I won't argue Shanny's massive contribution to that team but, you also have to take into consideration DQs defensive contributions in that run as well as how many Rooks we had a key positions.

kiwifalcon likes this

17 minutes ago, athell said:

Quinn was/is supposed to fix the defense.  He has not and can not.  If he cannot fix the defense he has zero purpose being here.

logical and I agree. I also think he can. it just may not be in time to save this season.

athell and HouseofEuphoria like this

1 minute ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Oh how I wish you were right...

I hope I am as well. If I am, I hope AB makes the right decision and doesn't burn it all down.

22 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

I get it all the reasons, I just think, if anyone can fix it, it's him. Not some new guy next year.

Why would you think he could fix it when he created the mess and hasn’t been able to fix anything on the defense from game to game?

There simply was too many growing pains to 1-5 and we can’t even be certain of a turn around.

What is the point?

If he isn’t fired tomorrow:

We would need to absolute destroy the Rams and Seahawks in consecutive weeks to salvage this season/his job.

Then I ask, is it worth it to settle for these coaches?

Obviously DQ's defensive scheme as well as most is dependent on a good pass rush. DQ believed he could create a pass rush with Beasley and the current roster when probably 95% of this message board wanted Beasley gone. He needed an improved o-line (he cannot help that Lindstrom got injured) and ignored improving the pass rush in the off season. His defensive scheme would probably work better if he had made better roster decisions. He will and should pay the consequences for those decisions.

I loved DQ even after SB debacle and thought we’d be back but it’s over. His job was to fix the D. This offense is ready to win a SB even with DK. We need a real DC with modern defense that can utilize Grady, Debo, and Takk (yes Takk) without blowing it all up. Probably should keep Rico too as he has the football instincts and shown he can lead the D and be solid. 

Bring in a hard nosed coach and a real DC. Let HC just be head coach and DK will be fine once Lindstrom returns and the run game can actually get going. 

If you want continuity, make Mularkey HC. He took the Titans to the playoffs (garbage team). Outside hire should be Harbough 

Edited by NeonDeion

We're probably #1 or #2 in points allowed, after this game.  I don't know how you can keep the same glide path and keep your job.  I do believe TD will be the first, but certainly not last, casualty.  If the D is playing stupid mutiny games I would hope there is swift action -that could save the defense coordinators job.

DQs defense has been figured out by the NFL. Falcons can either keep him and waste another year of Matt and Julio, or cut bait and move on ASAP.  

I held out hope as long as I could but at thsi point see no signs that DQ has any real chance of salvaging this mess.

Flying Falcon likes this

DQ defense is being exposed by newer offenses with mobile QBs... For some reason our defensive schemes are being exposed with check downs going for 30 yards before a falcon player is even close... With DQ's schemes it always feels like we're playing one man short with how wide open players get

Peteshweddy likes this

We need to keep Dan Quinn until the regular season is over because he is the best chance we have at getting a top 3 draft pick.

FalconAge likes this

This topic is a joke, right? This must be sarcasm. No way anyone with any common sense will argue to keep Dan Quinn. 

Romfal likes this

1 hour ago, kschreck said:

If you're a defensive head coach and you're on year 2 of having one of the worst defenses in the NFL....it's time to go.

Probably will be gone...

1 hour ago, kschreck said:

DQs defense has been figured out by the NFL. Falcons can either keep him and waste another year of Matt and Julio, or cut bait and move on ASAP.  

I held out hope as long as I could but at thsi point see no signs that DQ has any real chance of salvaging this mess.

Honestly, they just can’t get any pass rush. DQ’s Defense isn’t necessarily figured out. It’s just playing terribly.

He is trying new stuff actually because of how bad our DL is at getting to the QB as 4 or playing run as 4; and secondary has been worse...

Yea I hate to say it...but somehow we need to keep the core of this team together and hope that we can do something about the dense next year... BECAUSE.....

We spent so much money on big contracts to win now or so we thought the window is now.

and a new head coach would mean another learning curve for both offense and defense.

What this season has told us is that maybe the personnel and/or coach/scheme is not what they thought they have. But they're stuck with all these contracts so they really have no choice.

The O.D.B likes this

Dan Quinn is clueless about calling a good defense in 2019. I haven't seen a single reason for why this would be different in 2020. I haven't seen a single adjustment that has improved this defense in 6 ******* games. No personnel changes, nothing. Matt Ryan is having a career year again and its getting wasted by this clown who hasn't been able to put together a half assed product in 4 years on the other side of the ball.

For all those reasons, get him the fk out of here

1 hour ago, Champagne said:

I think that hiring DQ was a mistake. I could be wrong. I did think it was a good hire even after 28-3 (which the Refs had a hand in creating).

But at this point, I think it was a mistake.

At the time I remember saying we should make Shan the HC. Really wish they would have had the balls to do that

I mean I wouldn't be opposed to him staying, keeping Koetter (because offense isn't the problem) gutting half the defense (in favor of draft picks/trading for veterans on the line and in the secondary) and him completely relinquishing the defensive playcalling/hiring a new, competent DC.

I agree that changing coaching staff every year is a bad thing. But we can't continue on the path we're going. Just can't.

2 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

We need to keep Quinn. I listened to the game on the radio, while driving from Cali to AZ (shaking my head all the way),  so, there is nothing from today that's changed my mind on this. I don't  know how I have any faith left to make this statement but, I do have faith.

Letting go of Quinn will give Matt yet another learning curve to deal with as he's nearing the last part of his career.
Letting go of Quinn will likely mean the dismantling of the greatest Falcons roster to ever take the field.

Arthur once said when he took over the Falcons, he talked to all the storied franchises in the NFL for some tips and all told him that not to jump to hasty decisions because stability is more important. guys like Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid and Jason Garrett would not have jobs today if not for those franchises valuing stability and a guy like Shanahan might be on the street after two years of injury without valuing stability.

At the end of Smitty's tenure I didn't want to see his time end over 2 injury riddled seasons but, I could tell it was time, I don't think the same with DQ. DQ went down the same road a Smitty, in feeling some heat after the first injury season and then, making changes to try and insure success the next, to the same results thus far, a mistake for sure. In his tenure this team has been competitive more often than it's not.

This season is likely lost at this point and I have no reasonable argument for how things are so bad. I do hate DKs play-calling and whatever changes DQ made on defense is making everyone look like they just got the playbook yesterday but, these are things that should be fixed by now so, I'm at a loss.

Removing DQ is a mistake. I can feel this with every cell of my being. Given my disgust and frustration for this season, as well as the inherent frustration and disgust that goes along with being a Falcons fan, It's not easy to say this. I don't believe he's lost the team, I don't believe he's forgot how to coach, I don't believe HC/DC is too much for him. I do believe it's easier to win again with someone you've already won with previously and I believe a Quinn dismissal costs us more than this season, I believe it costs us our foreseeable future.   

hopefully Koetter stays also.

Stevo likes this