The O.D.B

We need to keep Quinn

98 posts in this topic

We need to keep Quinn. I listened to the game on the radio, while driving from Cali to AZ (shaking my head all the way),  so, there is nothing from today that's changed my mind on this. I don't  know how I have any faith left to make this statement but, I do have faith.

Letting go of Quinn will give Matt yet another learning curve to deal with as he's nearing the last part of his career.
Letting go of Quinn will likely mean the dismantling of the greatest Falcons roster to ever take the field.

Arthur once said when he took over the Falcons, he talked to all the storied franchises in the NFL for some tips and all told him that not to jump to hasty decisions because stability is more important. guys like Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid and Jason Garrett would not have jobs today if not for those franchises valuing stability and a guy like Shanahan might be on the street after two years of injury without valuing stability.

At the end of Smitty's tenure I didn't want to see his time end over 2 injury riddled seasons but, I could tell it was time, I don't think the same with DQ. DQ went down the same road a Smitty, in feeling some heat after the first injury season and then, making changes to try and insure success the next, to the same results thus far, a mistake for sure. In his tenure this team has been competitive more often than it's not.

This season is likely lost at this point and I have no reasonable argument for how things are so bad. I do hate DKs play-calling and whatever changes DQ made on defense is making everyone look like they just got the playbook yesterday but, these are things that should be fixed by now so, I'm at a loss.

Removing DQ is a mistake. I can feel this with every cell of my being. Given my disgust and frustration for this season, as well as the inherent frustration and disgust that goes along with being a Falcons fan, It's not easy to say this. I don't believe he's lost the team, I don't believe he's forgot how to coach, I don't believe HC/DC is too much for him. I do believe it's easier to win again with someone you've already won with previously and I believe a Quinn dismissal costs us more than this season, I believe it costs us our foreseeable future.   

2 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Don't know and not blaming him. Everyone is correct that this needs to be on Quinn but, I still believe in the guy and don't think he should be fired.

IMO we'd still have a losing records because of DK, even if our guys in the secondary weren't dropping coverage.

Holding on to Quinn would be wasting the last part of Matt’s career. Holding on to Quinn would...did you say greatest Falcons roster to take field? Holy crap, if this is the greatest Falcons roster to ever take the field yet get these results, then we definitely need to let go of Quinn.

4 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Not with him coaching the D. His style is old and outdated and he refuses to adapt

He watched years of plays in the off season to come up with his adjustments. I don't think he's outdated but getting the plays into the players heads was a total failure. It doesn't help when even the vets are screwing up their assignments.

1 minute ago, The O.D.B said:

Don't know and not blaming him. Everyone is correct that this needs to be on Quinn but, I still believe in the guy and don't think he should be fired.

IMO we'd still have a losing records because of DK, even if our guys in the secondary weren't dropping coverage.

DK isn't that bad. He's had some growing pains, but its tough to get the offense going when you barely get any possessions.

Bigbenright and NeonDeion like this

15 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

We need to keep Quinn. I listened to the game on the radio, while driving from Cali to AZ (shaking my head all the way),  so, there is nothing from today that's changed my mind on this. I don't  know how I have any faith left to make this statement but, I do have faith.

Letting go of Quinn will give Matt yet another learning curve to deal with as he's nearing the last part of his career.
Letting go of Quinn will likely mean the dismantling of the greatest Falcons roster to ever take the field.

Arthur once said when he took over the Falcons, he talked to all the storied franchises in the NFL for some tips and all told him that not to jump to hasty decisions because stability is more important. guys like Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid and Jason Garrett would not have jobs today if not for those franchises valuing stability and a guy like Shanahan might be on the street after two years of injury without valuing stability.

At the end of Smitty's tenure I didn't want to see his time end over 2 injury riddled seasons but, I could tell it was time, I don't think the same with DQ. DQ went down the same road a Smitty, in feeling some heat after the first injury season and then, making changes to try and insure success the next, to the same results thus far, a mistake for sure. In his tenure this team has been competitive more often than it's not.

This season is likely lost at this point and I have no reasonable argument for how things are so bad. I do hate DKs play-calling and whatever changes DQ made on defense is making everyone look like they just got the playbook yesterday but, these are things that should be fixed by now so, I'm at a loss.

Removing DQ is a mistake. I can feel this with every cell of my being. Given my disgust and frustration for this season, as well as the inherent frustration and disgust that goes along with being a Falcons fan, It's not easy to say this. I don't believe he's lost the team, I don't believe he's forgot how to coach, I don't believe HC/DC is too much for him. I do believe it's easier to win again with someone you've already won with previously and I believe a Quinn dismissal costs us more than this season, I believe it costs us our foreseeable future.   

This team is not injury riddled.  We basically are healthy team.

New coaches you say? That was Quinn’s call.

The Defense?  It’s Quinn’s defense and QUINN is leading it and we are 31st ranked defense in the NFL - only better than a team that was purposely tanking before the season started.

7 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

We sure you aren't a Saints fan in disguise? 

please ignore the smell of the  freshly poured gasoline fumes coming from around your house, just going to go to my car for a match, I'll be right back.

LOL!

Edited by The O.D.B
PokerSteve likes this

3 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

5 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

DK isn't that bad. He's had some growing pains, but its tough to get the offense going when you barely get any possessions.

I'm going to agree to disagree strongly.

14 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

I wanted to keep Smitty for many of the same reasons. But I'll be honest, I've seen Smitty teams look uninspired, but I've NEVER seen them look as unprepared, outclassed, and simply lost as this DQ defense has looked the last few weeks. Never.

9 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The state of the defense all but guarantees Quinn will be fired.

Why?  Blank has to sell tickets and fans won’t buy while the ‘defensive’ guy that is going to have maybe one of the worst defenses in NFL history is still around.

I get it all the reasons, I just think, if anyone can fix it, it's him. Not some new guy next year.

1 minute ago, Jen said:

DQ barely has a .500 record as a head coach. He's done nothing to prove he can have success as a head coach. Shanahan and a historic offense is why we got to the SB. DQ simply was along for the ride.

Kyle is 14-22 :ninja:

HouseofEuphoria likes this

3 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

I get it all the reasons, I just think, if anyone can fix it, it's him. Not some new guy next year.

What makes you think he can fix it?

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

This team is not injury riddled.  We basically are healthy team.

New coaches you say? That was Quinn’s call.

The Defense?  It’s Quinn’s defense and QUINN is leading it and we are 31st ranked defense in the NFL.

Yep,  Smitty made changes after his first injury riddled season and DQ did the same. My point in this was to say the changes were a knee jerk reaction to the heat and ultimately set the team back in both cases. I think beyond this bad move that DQ can reel it in and get us back on track.

I think that hiring DQ was a mistake. I could be wrong. I did think it was a good hire even after 28-3 (which the Refs had a hand in creating).

But at this point, I think it was a mistake.

Flying Falcon and PokerSteve like this

7 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

I wanted to keep Smitty for many of the same reasons. But I'll be honest, I've seen Smitty teams look uninspired, but I've NEVER seen them look as unprepared, outclassed, and simply lost as this DQ defense has looked the last few weeks. Never.

I'll concede that.