Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

When do you think Dan Quinn will officially get fired?

90 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Question for those who want to make moves quickly.   If you had your choice which of these would you do?

Option 1 you get to fire Quinn right now but Dimi stays on as GM and gets to pick his new HC at the end of the season or as soon as he finds one he likes during the season.

Option 2 You have to ride out the season with Quinn as the HC but at the end of the season you are allowed to make a move and let both Dimi and Quinn go and choose 2 new people for GM and HC.

Dimi isnt going to pick the new coach in any case.  He didn't hire Quinn - when Quinn was hired Blank let him decide if TD should stay.  

This isn't "pro" or "anti" Dimi; it's just the role that Blank has for the GM isn't one that controls coaches.  Blank stated that he likes how it is done in NE and Seattle where the coach pretty much runs the show.

Edited by JeffAtl

Just now, JeffAtl said:

Dimi isnt going to pick the new coach in any case.  He didn't hire Quinn - when Quinn was hired Blank let him decide if TD should stay.  

And that didn't work out to well so who knows if Blank lets Dimi do it this time or not to try and build something more cohesive from a guy of his choice.

3 minutes ago, Dunn-Vick-Duckett said:

He has shown himself to be an inept DC and HC. It's not dishonest, if you've watched a single Falcons game this year you would see it too.

You want to talk about his previous success as you call it, that was mainly due to Pete Carroll. He's trying to run an outdated scheme, and refuses to change it even though every team in the league can see through it. If that's not ineptitude I don't know what is. If you are fan of Quinn, fine, but don't try and defend this **** show of a defense.  HIS defense 

He has shown himself to be ineffective in 2019 with this Falcons team, and there is no way around that, and I believe will lead to his dismissal.  I'm a fan of the Falcons, and I want Quinn to succeed because he is our coach, that's the extent of it.  I'm not defending the 2019 version of his defense, it has been terrible, but to dismiss what he has done as a DC and Head Coach prior to 2019 is intellectually dishonest.  

3 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

And that didn't work out to well so who knows if Blank lets Dimi do it this time or not to try and build something more cohesive from a guy of his choice.

I added on to my post but not quick enough :)

Blank doesn't want a GM making the detailed football decisions.  He wants a Seattle and NE type situation where a high powered coach makes those decisions.  When Quinn was hired, Blank stated that 8 to 10 teams do it this way and they tend to be successful.

Edited by JeffAtl

36 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

How many drafts or key free agent moves do you think we need to get the defense back on track? I ask you because thou art the TATF GM.

Depends on whether we want to go 4-3 or 3-4. I'd go 3-4. We'd need a true nose. Man I wanted Shelton this offseason. He's ballin on a $1.0M cap hit. Can play 4-3 or 3-4. 26 years old. Troffed.  Need at least one backer if we go 3-4. Regardless of what we run, we need DBs in the worst way. Unless we purge, the cap won't allow for many FAs that can fill year one holes, so to answer your question, two, maybe three years.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Depends on whether we want to go 4-3 or 3-4. I'd go 3-4. We'd need a true nose. Man I wanted Shelton this offseason. He's ballin on a $1.0M cap hit. Can play 4-3 or 3-4. 26 years old. Troffed.  Need at least backer if we go 3-4. And regardless of what we do we DBs in the worst way. Unless we purge, the cap won't allow for many FAs that can fill year one holes, so to answer your question, two, maybe three years.

I also wanted Shelton. You don’t view Davison as a true nose? 

Ergo Proxy likes this

3 minutes ago, blutarski said:

to dismiss what he has done as a DC and Head Coach prior to 2019 is intellectually dishonest.  

The mental gymnastics that you're forcing yourself go through is intellectually dishonest though.

Quinn was a DC for a successful team, but the team was truly run by Carroll.  Again, ex players praised Flores as the Patriots DC as well.  That is just what players do - you can't take their endorsements seriously.

You are also leaving out 2018.  

1 minute ago, NWFALCON said:

I also wanted Shelton. You don’t view Davison as a true nose? 

No. Too light in the as and been gettin worked the last couple games.

4 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

The mental gymnastics that you're forcing yourself go through is intellectually dishonest though.

Quinn was a DC for a successful team, but the team was truly run by Carroll.  Again, ex players praised Flores as the Patriots DC as well.  That is just what players do - you can't take their endorsements seriously.

Especially for player coaches with a brotherhood who pass out big contracts, free tee shirts and don't require discipline or accountability.

Just now, JeffAtl said:

What gymnastics?  There is no way to quantify what was Quinn's leadership versus what was Carroll's "system" that lead to the Seahawks success.  You are making it sound like Quinn had nothing to do with it, even though Quinn called the plays and set the gameplan, according to the players who were there.  As far as 2018, there is no way you can't take the injuries into consideration, especially with what his defense did in 2017 and 2nd half of 2016.  Again, I think Quinn will be let go, and rightly so, but to say his is inept in either position, with the evidence that clearly negates that, doesn't follow logic.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

No. Too light in the as and been gettin worked the last couple games.

Yo, the rush D ain’t it.

Its the pass rush and coverages.

Davison ain’t the issue. Been doing work inside. 2nd best DL on the entire roster behind Grady, even if that isn’t saying a lot.

DQ banked on Vic being worth the $13M and that is truly our most glaring mistake from the offseason.

kiwifalcon likes this

I'm hoping this is all a bad dream and he was actually fired three weeks... Tomorrow I'll wake up and realise that we're 5-1 and all is good. 

5 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Blank has a new stadium to fill.  He doesn't want the embarrassment of a half empty stadium or PSL owners going into revolt.

Quinn's future will depend on the gameday crowds and Atlanta's interest in the product.

Yes, I agree, attendance will play a big role in when/if Dan Quinn gets the boot!  But, even with a coaching change, to expect a huge difference in wins & losses right off the bat, with new coaches....plus, it being done during the regular season....may be unrealistic. 
So really, firing Quinn now, may not affect revenue very much this year....unless there's a marked difference in how we play, after such a change.  And I don't really see that happening.  

14 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yo, the rush D ain’t it.

Davison ain’t the issue. Been doing work inside. 2nd best DL on the entire roster behind Grady, even if that isn’t saying a lot.

DQ banked on Vic being worth the $13M and that is truly our most glaring mistake from the offseason.

The rush D sucks. Bottom third of the league in yards and first downs allowed. Don't be fooled by the low ypc average. That's because five teams were salting away wins in the fourth quarter with one yard runs. When it's go time and the run game is in play, teams have been gashing us. Inside and out.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The rush D sucks. Bottom third of the league in yards and first downs allowed. Don't be fooled by the low ypc average. That's because five teams were salting away wins in the fourth quarter with one yard runs. When it's go time and the run game is in play, teams have been gashing us. Inside and out.

Nah, I don’t agree. We’ve been beat through the air primarily and the run D problems have been on fits and edge play. Interior DL is just fine.

kiwifalcon likes this

1 hour ago, FalconJim said:

I think Quinn will be allowed to finish out the season ---- and if it goes well enough (7-8 wins), with an up-tick at the end, maybe another year. 
I just think Blank will give him every opportunity to "right the ship". 
Not necessarily how I would play it, but how I think Blank will ---  

I hope he does because I hate changing coaches all the time. I think DQ could probably fix it in the draft and offseason. Most of these coaches out here are morons anyways from what I hear. Tom Coughlin, Mike Tomlin and McCarthy all get called the same names Quinn does and they have rings!!! There isn't a lot of flawless coaches out there.

FalconJim likes this

35 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

I would dump TD before I rebooted coaching. I still think we have a talent and roster management problem.

I think DQ got all the people he told Thomas Dimitroff to get. 

49 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

I would dump TD before I rebooted coaching. I still think we have a talent and roster management problem.

Supposedly TD is a salary cap wizard. I guess that's difficult to come by? Maybe explains why he still has a job?

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yo, the rush D ain’t it.

I was hoping Vic could turn it around, too... but I mentioned several times leading up to the draft that I wanted Brian Burns & would've preferred we took that route over bringing Vic back at $12M.

Folks here said Burns was too small & just another Beasley... All he's done in Carolina thus far is put himself in position to be DROY.

Dude had 4 sacks in preseason & hasn't let up a bit. He's had at least a half sack or better in every game except opening week, giving him 4.5 sacks already, plus a forced fumble & a TD. For perspective, that's more sacks than Vic, Takk, and Grady combined.

mattyicefalcon and Ergo Proxy like this

10 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think he will get fired after the Seahawks game and be fired sometime during the bye week. I'll remember the good times DQ. What do you guys think?

The end of the season. It's the Atlanta way.

11 hours ago, k-train said:

I was hoping Vic could turn it around, too... but I mentioned several times leading up to the draft that I wanted Brian Burns & would've preferred we took that route over bringing Vic back at $12M.

Folks here said Burns was too small & just another Beasley... All he's done in Carolina thus far is put himself in position to be DROY.

Dude had 4 sacks in preseason & hasn't let up a bit. He's had at least a half sack or better in every game except opening week, giving him 4.5 sacks already, plus a forced fumble & a TD. For perspective, that's more sacks than Vic, Takk, and Grady combined.

IMO, I still think we needed Lindstrom for the long term and I would’ve just preferred to use savings on cutting Vic on a couple vet rusher options.

Everyone in Carolina is eating though, including Burns.

They has like 8 sacks as a team yesterday.

DQ bet on himself but Vic ain’t that guy...

I’m so torn because we saw how bad RG has been since Chester left and Wes has had to play again this year because the starter (you drafted) has been hurt and the backup (Brown) has also got injuries.

Chris comes back and has a good 7 games to end with McGary on the right side?

Give me Brown at LG and we Gucci moving forward.

Bye Wes and hello Gono training as the primary backup OG and OT if need be with Ty being cut this offseason to come.

Even without going Burns at 14, there were better stopgaps on the DE market for 1-2 year deals if we were gonna finish the OL overhaul.

ANY PLAN NOT INVOLVING VIC WOULD BE BETTER!

Ugh...I can’t believe Dan is riding down this sinking ship on that decision.

That said, the Falcons have been in the upper half of the league in time it takes for QBs to throw vs them...meaning they can get it out faster.

So, Carolina has an arsenal of guys coming at the QB. We aren’t getting home IN PART due to coverages being bad that there are rarely any coverage sacks on average.

That said, we don’t rush the passer well.

Thoughts on Sheffield holding it down yesterday vs Fitz?

k-train likes this

Yesterday's game wasn't enough to fire Quinn.  I think if loses against LA and Seattle, he should be fired during the bye week.  Not sure who will step in as DC.