Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Falcons0081

Does The New Coach Blow Up The Team?

For all intensive purposes, the season is over.  Quinn's (and possibly Dimitroff's) tenure with the Atlanta Falcons is over, it's only a question of when.  When the new head coach takes the reigns in 2020, with his own direction for this team, does he add and subtract a few pieces on the defense, or will he keep only a few of our impact player (Jarrett, Jones, McKinnley)?  Will he bring in his own OC, or allow Dirk Koetter to keep his job?  Does he attempt to shop Matt Ryan out of Atlanta or does he let him finish out his contract?  Or does he take a sledge hammer to the offense only keeping the stars of the offense?  Just curious to know the thoughts of other fans on the issue of what happens next season.

IMHO, cap constraints keep Ryan and JJ here. Lindstrom looked good before injury and McGary(sp?) is getting his rookie lumps out of the way, albeit with occasional flashes. I expect Free to go, possible sanu...little else has to change considering the pieces we have here...even Benkert looked promising..

Defense however needs all the draft and lion's share of FA. And we probably need a kicker or two locked in.....

I don't see why a new coach would want to - at least on offense.  All of the major pieces are already there, in their prime and producing.  

The defense is another story though as Quinn has drafted exclusively for the physical traits he likes in his scheme.  The good part is that defenses can be retooled pretty quickly.

I would look to get rid of any player "that they can" whose contracts don't make that impossible who played in that Super Bowl. I said it last week here and I'll say it again, that Super Bowl loss has left a mental scar on this team that they can't get rid of. It's in their heads and they play like it. They act like it. And they're not able to put it behind them because they lack the mental toughness to do that. They can't forget it because they're reminded by 31 other fans bases about it all the time. They are below .500 during the regular season since then. That to me is more then enough time to have waited to see if things can turn around and they have not.

You don't hear them talk about it but I'm convinced that it's in their heads that they know that the window has been most likely slammed shut for this team as we know it now. I think many of them are still good players and maybe still good coaches, but not all on the same team now. New blood, new players/coaches are needed here and most all of those players that were involved in that historic collapse need to a new beginning elsewhere where their identity will not always be associated with that loss as it is now. Sometimes players and organizations need a fresh start. This is just my opinion. Nothing else. I just feel that loss has left permanent damage to those that were a part of it. Or most of them.

I'm expecting Beasley, Freeman, and Sanu are all playing their final seasons here this year. Next year we could be looking at Tru, Mack, and Takk. 

Edited by CTann

16 hours ago, Falcons0081 said:

For all intensive purposes, the season is over.  Quinn's (and possibly Dimitroff's) tenure with the Atlanta Falcons is over, it's only a question of when.  When the new head coach takes the reigns in 2020, with his own direction for this team, does he add and subtract a few pieces on the defense, or will he keep only a few of our impact player (Jarrett, Jones, McKinnley)?  Will he bring in his own OC, or allow Dirk Koetter to keep his job?  Does he attempt to shop Matt Ryan out of Atlanta or does he let him finish out his contract?  Or does he take a sledge hammer to the offense only keeping the stars of the offense?  Just curious to know the thoughts of other fans on the issue of what happens next season.

Takk IS NOT an impact player.. hes vic 2.0 at this point. Missed about 7 sacks on the season 

16 hours ago, Falcons0081 said:

First, the correct way to say that is, “For all intents and purposes.”  

To answer your question, the defense needs to be blown up. The offense needs a run game makeover. But the D needs a full gut and rebuild.