Chuck Smith talking Falcons Post Texans Game

Sun Tzu 7

17 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Most of the talk is about DQ losing job. They did talk about Watson having too much time in pocket.

Chuck calls out the 5-2/3-4 and why standing Vic and Takk upright in base looks is hurting their pass rush. They are 4 man front; 3 point stance pass rushers not OLBs...he says that puts them at a disadvantage rushing the passer.

Guess what? That means even though you are better vs the run..if teams throw it you gotta now blitz Takk and Vic if coverage is bad and bring 5 every time.

If Vic and Takk were true OLBs comfortable in space and could rush standing upright it would've worked...alas.

He says DQ doesn't have enough true 3-4 experience; does Bob Sutton??

Something says it could work...it was a good idea...but in practice? Vic and Takk were going to be projects trying to do this new Base look.

It works only IF you can play with a lead and shut down their run game to start the game...which gets you back into 4 man fronts in the end! lol

Chuck talks about the whole RB situation. Giants draft Saquan too high...you don't win with a RB in this league.

It's:

QB

DL (pass rush)

OL (negate the rush)

It's really that simple. Best teams have been Rams, Saints, Pats, Eagles, etc.

This is exactly why it's a joke to move on from Ryan now. He's in place. The most important position on the entire team is set still. Let's fix the trenches! OL has investment right now and the DL is not getting it done; i.e. pass rush.

The OL had set backs with injuries to our draft picks. Hopefully, you got Lindstorm and McGary getting comfortable together late this year and into next year. I'm waaay more concerned with DL and the D moves this offseason regardless of coaching changes. Mack hopefully doesn't walk...

I can't say i agree with him on Grady as i think grady is a top tier DT.  I don't think he is a Aaron Donald but i don't think he is just good either.  I think he is in the upper echelon of DT's considering he is killing o-lines at times with literally no one else around him doing a **** thing most the time.

2 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I can't say i agree with him on Grady as i think grady is a top tier DT.  I don't think he is a Aaron Donald but i don't think he is just good either.  I think he is in the upper echelon of DT's considering he is killing o-lines at times with literally no one else around him doing a **** thing most the time.

I agree with what you are saying I think Chuck is just saying Grady isn't that all world beater like AD. He is certainly worth what we just paid him comparatively, tho.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Over fronts please no more of this rush 3 drop 8 unless inside the red zone trying to constrict space.

4 man rush and let’s tackle behind it.

We've tried blitzing. Chuck highlighted we've even tried Campbell at Vic's position in base as OLB in the 3-4/5-2 look.

WHATEVER THEY DO JUST FIND SOMETHING YOU CAN DO WELL! lol

24 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Chuck calls out the 5-2/3-4 and why standing Vic and Takk upright in base looks is hurting their pass rush. They are 4 man front; 3 point stance pass rushers not OLBs...he says that puts them at a disadvantage rushing the passer.

Guess what? That means even though you are better vs the run..if teams throw it you gotta now blitz Takk and Vic if coverage is bad and bring 5 every time.

If Vic and Takk were true OLBs comfortable in space and could rush standing upright it would've worked...alas.

Yeah he gave a really interesting take on why Quinn’s system isn’t working anymore.

It all starts up front where you’re trying to run a 3-4 look without 3-4 personnel.  And because the front is so off it’s disrupting everything else.

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah he gave a really interesting take on why Quinn’s system isn’t working anymore.

It all starts up front where you’re trying to run a 3-4 look without 3-4 personnel.  And because the front is so off it’s disrupting everything else.

At least in trying to protect your weak coverages...but then again completely blown coverages and communication in the secondary is 100% on them.

We've got Vic and Takk not rushing the passer in the Base look, Foye having to spell Debo and Campbell having the most snaps among our LBs...and secondary that was regressed before losing Neal.

Sheffield....Miller...let's go.

To your point, 4 man pass rush is a fundamental part of the defense Quinn brought in.

45 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

To me that is the most disappointing thing....we are not losing doing what we do best.

It is one thing to get beat when the other team is just better....but that has not been the case.

27 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

To me that is the most disappointing thing....we are not losing doing what we do best.

It is one thing to get beat when the other team is just better....but that has not been the case.

What are you talking about?

The Falcons continue to do their BEST every week...at allowing other teams to do whatever they want offensively at almost no resistance! :tiphat:

5 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

At least in trying to protect your weak coverages...but then again completely blown coverages and communication in the secondary is 100% on them.

We've got Vic and Takk not rushing the passer in the Base look, Foye having to spell Debo and Campbell having the most snaps among our LBs...and secondary that was regressed before losing Neal.

Sheffield....Miller...let's go.

To your point, 4 man pass rush is a fundamental part of the defense Quinn brought in.

Why is Debo coming out of game, needs to be featured SMH