Taking a page from Smitty's book

The Don™

16 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

@Vandydo you even read? We literally said the same thing, but you somehow think you pulled one over on me. Haha!

Now that’s not very nice. :ninja:

yes sir, I read and then responded accordingly. Can you handle it? For whatever reason, some folks in here can’t. 

See my response above. That should have answered your snarky question,  A-town. 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Both Smitty and Quinn Have their strengths and weaknesses, but are nothing alike as coaches. And this is nothing like 2013-14, that team was devoid on talent.

If healthy/not burned-out Smith were coaching this team, I have no doubt it would be playing winning football. 

Firing Smitty when we did was the right move. We needed a change. But he was one h3ll of a football coach when his heart was in it. 

I tip my hat to Smitty and I say a quote he said that sums up this franchise:

"If you don't win the line of scrimmage, you won't win the football game". 

-Mike Smith 2015. 

6 minutes ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Firing Smitty when we did was the right move. We needed a change. But he was one h3ll of a football coach when his heart was in it. 

I tip my hat to Smitty and I say a quote he said that sums up this franchise:

"If you don't win the line of scrimmage, you won't win the football game". 

-Mike Smith 2015. 

My thoughts exactly. And I wanted Quinn early on to replace him red, thinking he was the brilliant defensive mind we needed to get the defense to where it needed to be. 

unfortunately, it’s looking like we were wrong about DQ, and in need of another change. 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

You mean like right now?

Agree on freeman > Jackson. But much like Quinn is now, Smith was coaching to save his job. It’s the nature of the beast.

Shouldn’t Ollison/Gage/Miller/Grace/Cominsky be getting more minutes than they have?

How has  Quinn been any different?

I can agree with most of those players getting more playing time, but who would you sit in favor of Gage? I surely wouldn't want to sit Julio, Ridley, or Sanu in favor of Gage. Not saying Gage is a bad player, I think he is very talented. I just can't see giving Gage more time over Julio, Ridley, or Sanu. Maybe take away more of Hardy's snaps, but that would be about it...

32 minutes ago, Alomar said:

I can agree with most of those players getting more playing time, but who would you sit in favor of Gage? I surely wouldn't want to sit Julio, Ridley, or Sanu in favor of Gage. Not saying Gage is a bad player, I think he is very talented. I just can't see giving Gage more time over Julio, Ridley, or Sanu. Maybe take away more of Hardy's snaps, but that would be about it...

Hate to break it you, but best you hear it from a friend....Sanu’s most likely gone next year bro.   

The 2010 playoff loss to GB was the beginning of the end for Smitty.  That blowout caused us to make a hard turn towards splash players instead of continuing to solidify our core team (particularly the trenches).  Smitty had our team overachieving from the day he got here and we overextended in our desperation for immediate success.

6 hours ago, The Don™ said:

If you haven't read Smitty's book, I highly recommend it.

A major part of the problem is a team mentality and culture problem.

I wish the players and coaches really would take a page from Smitty's book (literally) and quit worrying about the outcome of the game and where they're trying to get based on talent. Smitty always talked about the "process". The process was taking it a game by game and every player and coach being fully prepared mentally and physically for the next game. Yes we all got tired hearing about "the process" but that's exactly what Smitty wanted if you read his book. He wanted everybody to get tired of hearing about the process. Not in a bad way, more of a "drilled in your head way".

Smitty's Falcons started to fall apart when they quit focusing on the process and game by game preparation. According to Smitty, after the 2012 NFC championship game, players started buying into their own hype and figured they'd get back into the playoffs without trying as hard. They went 4-12 in 2013. Players became complacent and lost focus on what wins games. It's not just talent he says. Its in the culture in the locker room and at Flowery Branch. It's the details that goes into gameplanning. It's the commitment to the message and identity. It's being consistent. It's winning in the locker room first. Those were parts of the process. According to Smitty, the process veered off course in '13 and '14.  The process that went into each game became more about the outcome of the game and end goal instead about what it takes to actually win the game in front of you. Smitty does take blame for letting it get out of hand.

Quinn's Falcons are already there IMO. Ever since that SB appearance, it's been downhill since then. When I read Smitty's book, it was all too relatable to what's going on now. 

They were injured and lost Michael Turner. That's what happened after 2012.

55 minutes ago, SirCzah said:

The 2010 playoff loss to GB was the beginning of the end for Smitty.  That blowout caused us to make a hard turn towards splash players instead of continuing to solidify our core team (particularly the trenches).  Smitty had our team overachieving from the day he got here and we overextended in our desperation for immediate success.

2012 and 2016 happened after 2010.

17 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

They were injured and lost Michael Turner. That's what happened after 2012.

In addition to my original post about Smitty losing the team, the talent also wasn't where it should have been. His relationship with TD also wasn't great the last two years. 

It's not just injuries man... If it were injuries, we should only blame injuries for struggling last year but our defense is worse this year with less injuries and our team looks lost. There's always more to the story than we think. 

15 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

In addition to my original post about Smitty losing the team, the talent also wasn't where it should have been. His relationship with TD also wasn't great the last two years. 

It's not just injuries man... If it were injuries, we should only blame injuries for struggling last year but our defense is worse this year with less injuries and our team looks lost. There's always more to the story than we think. 

I would LOVE to know what's going on behind the scenes now!!! Matt Ryan, Dan Quinn and Julio Jones look depressed in interviews. I think the team may be angry at DQ for firing Manuel. Maybe Sark to a lesser extent.

17 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I would LOVE to know what's going on behind the scenes now!!! Matt Ryan, Dan Quinn and Julio Jones look depressed in interviews. I think the team may be angry at DQ for firing Manuel. Maybe Sark to a lesser extent.

Naw. They are mad coz only one unit is playing. Quinn is out of ideas to fix the defense. The offense would have checked out if not for Ryan, not quitting. 

8 hours ago, A-TowN.- said:

I think there’s clearly a disconnect between players and coaches. Even players aren’t consistently communicating with one another on the field. There’s a lot of lazy, low effort play going on during these games, and the football IQ is just not there for some of these guys.

At some positions, we have the talent, but not the mindset (Edge & CB). At other positions we just straight up lack the talent right now (Safety & interior OL). We know what we have in players like Beasley, Ishmael, Trufant, Schweitzer, and Campbell. Yet DQ continues to give them snaps. Carpenter and Brown have also been disaster signings for us at the Guard positions. I hope I never see any of those guys on the team after this year. 

Quinn is reminding me of Smitty a little bit with his stubbornness to stick with veterans, even if they are under performing. Would like to see Cominsky in for Beasley, Jamal Carter in for Ishmael, Ollison & Ito in for Freeman, Grace & Foye in for Campbell, Gono in at Guard, etc. 

It's not a title town or big city....they dont give a ****.

Honestly, just dont see any star F.A willingly want to sacrifice some of $ and play for Falcons.

Name ONE F.A  who would want to play in Atlanta with Ryan - Falcons?

ZERO

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Hate to break it you, but best you hear it from a friend....Sanu’s most likely gone next year bro.   

Sanu has to be gone this year.

He has to be traded NOW for draft picks.

And then tank rest of the way for another one in draft.

We are not playing NFL CALIBER football.

Sanu deserves soo much better.

16 hours ago, HouseofEuphoria said:

Sanu has shown more heart than our entire defense.

Crawl back in your hole.

You dumb clown! That's what I meant he deserves soo much better because hes soo productive but this team ain't worth for him! 

So I would rather he go to team like Patriots or Green Bay where he has a shot for deep playoffs run! 

So you shut your hole and stick your head up your ***!

19 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Blank fired Manuel, not Quinn.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, The Don™ said:

Smitty's Falcons started to fall apart when they quit focusing on the process and game by game preparation. According to Smitty, after the 2012 NFC championship game, players started buying into their own hype and figured they'd get back into the playoffs without trying as hard.

The 2018/2019 Falcons. I knew after 2017 when they believed they were a top ten defense, we had issues. When they let Manuel walk and the players kept pointing to him leading a top ten defense, I cringed. I said after the SB, I just hoped the rookies/young players didn't think they could do what they did that year every year and get the same result. We see that's the case with some players so far. 

Both coaches failed by promoting an environment susceptible to complacency. That's Belichick's biggest strength. "Successful" players are let go because he knows he can replace anyone at any time. If they would let Trey Flowers walk, after working hard and producing for the Pats, players who half a** know they will be let go for much less. 

On 10/15/2019 at 0:31 PM, Dr Long Shot said:

Sanu has an 8 million cap hit and he is a number 3 receiver. I love the guy but we need to move on. Hooper's production makes Sanu redundant at his current price. 

Agree. But we have this season. It was all about "this year" all off-season, so keeping him made sense.

Also, Sanu's presence on the field opens up alot of those Hooper catches. Gotta give credit where it's due. He's also a heckuva downfield blocker.

He knows his days are (probably) numbered, but the guy is an excellent teammate and player and never lets it affect his play. He's 100%. 

On 10/12/2019 at 9:14 AM, Vandy said:

Both Smitty and Quinn Have their strengths and weaknesses, but are nothing alike as coaches. And this is nothing like 2013-14, that team was devoid on talent.

If a healthy/not burned-out Smith were coaching this team, I have no doubt it would be playing winning football. 

What? Win with smitty ball? No way lol that defense was just as bad every **** year

Edited by Califalcon0013