Taking a page from Smitty's book

The Don™

If you haven't read Smitty's book, I highly recommend it.

A major part of the problem is a team mentality and culture problem.

I wish the players and coaches really would take a page from Smitty's book (literally) and quit worrying about the outcome of the game and where they're trying to get based on talent. Smitty always talked about the "process". The process was taking it a game by game and every player and coach being fully prepared mentally and physically for the next game. Yes we all got tired hearing about "the process" but that's exactly what Smitty wanted if you read his book. He wanted everybody to get tired of hearing about the process. Not in a bad way, more of a "drilled in your head way".

Smitty's Falcons started to fall apart when they quit focusing on the process and game by game preparation. According to Smitty, after the 2012 NFC championship game, players started buying into their own hype and figured they'd get back into the playoffs without trying as hard. They went 4-12 in 2013. Players became complacent and lost focus on what wins games. It's not just talent he says. Its in the culture in the locker room and at Flowery Branch. It's the details that goes into gameplanning. It's the commitment to the message and identity. It's being consistent. It's winning in the locker room first. Those were parts of the process. According to Smitty, the process veered off course in '13 and '14.  The process that went into each game became more about the outcome of the game and end goal instead about what it takes to actually win the game in front of you. Smitty does take blame for letting it get out of hand.

Quinn's Falcons are already there IMO. Ever since that SB appearance, it's been downhill since then. When I read Smitty's book, it was all too relatable to what's going on now. 

I think there’s clearly a disconnect between players and coaches. Even players aren’t consistently communicating with one another on the field. There’s a lot of lazy, low effort play going on during these games, and the football IQ is just not there for some of these guys.

At some positions, we have the talent, but not the mindset (Edge & CB). At other positions we just straight up lack the talent right now (Safety & interior OL). We know what we have in players like Beasley, Ishmael, Trufant, Schweitzer, and Campbell. Yet DQ continues to give them snaps. Carpenter and Brown have also been disaster signings for us at the Guard positions. I hope I never see any of those guys on the team after this year. 

Quinn is reminding me of Smitty a little bit with his stubbornness to stick with veterans, even if they are under performing. Would like to see Cominsky in for Beasley, Jamal Carter in for Ishmael, Ollison & Ito in for Freeman, Grace & Foye in for Campbell, Gono in at Guard, etc. 

8 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

I think there’s clearly a disconnect between players and coaches. Even players aren’t consistently communicating with one another on the field. There’s a lot of lazy, low effort play going on during these games, and the football IQ is just not there for some of these guys.

At some positions, we have the talent, but not the mindset (Edge & CB). At other positions we just straight up lack the talent right now (Safety & interior OL). We know what we have in players like Beasley, Ishmael, Trufant, Schweitzer, and Campbell. Yet DQ continues to give them snaps. Carpenter and Brown have also been disaster signings for us at the Guard positions. I hope I never see any of those guys on the team after this year. 

Quinn is reminding me of Smitty a little bit with his stubbornness to stick with veterans, even if they are under performing. Would like to see Cominsky in for Beasley, Jamal Carter in for Ishmael, Ollison & Ito in for Freeman, Grace & Foye in for Campbell, Gono in at Guard, etc. 

Smitty’s down fall wasn’t  veterans. His was exact opposite. When you have two UDFA LB, two rookie starting CB,  young in experienced 1-3rd string OL, 3 young guys on DL. They failed to replace veterans who left in 2012.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Both Smitty and Quinn Have their strengths and weaknesses, but are nothing alike as coaches. And this is nothing like 2013-14, that team was void on talent.

The point I was trying to make is that talent alone doesn't win games. Everybody is talented in the NFL. Its the mental state and prep you have before the actual game. Patriots can turn UDFAs and no names into contributors because they have a system in place on and off the field and it works for them year in and year out. 

Just now, The Don™ said:

The point I was trying to make is that talent alone doesn't win games. Everybody is talented in the NFL. Its the mental state and prep you have before the actual game. Patriots can turn UDFAs and no names into contributors because they have a system in place on and off the field and it works for them year in and year out. 

I agree. 

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Smitty’s down fall wasn’t  veterans. His was exact opposite. When you have two UDFA LB, two rookie starting CB,  young in experienced 1-3rd string OL, 3 young guys on DL. They failed to replace veterans who left in 2012.

Very poor/unlucky drafting for 4 straight years (2009-2012) will do that to any team. 

57 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

If you haven't read Smitty's book, I highly recommend it.

A major part of the problem is a team mentality and culture problem.

I wish the players and coaches really would take a page from Smitty's book (literally) and quit worrying about the outcome of the game and where they're trying to get based on talent. Smitty always talked about the "process". The process was taking it a game by game and every player and coach being fully prepared mentally and physically for the next game. Yes we all got tired hearing about "the process" but that's exactly what Smitty wanted if you read his book. He wanted everybody to get tired of hearing about the process. Not in a bad way, more of a "drilled in your head way".

Smitty's Falcons started to fall apart when they quit focusing on the process and game by game preparation. According to Smitty, after the 2012 NFC championship game, players started buying into their own hype and figured they'd get back into the playoffs without trying as hard. They went 4-12 in 2013. Players became complacent and lost focus on what wins games. It's not just talent he says. Its in the culture in the locker room and at Flowery Branch. It's the details that goes into gameplanning. It's the commitment to the message and identity. It's being consistent. It's winning in the locker room first. Those were parts of the process. According to Smitty, the process that went into each game became more about the outcome of the game and end goal instead about what it takes to actually win the game in front of you. Smitty does take blame for letting it get out of hand.

Quinn's Falcons are already there IMO. Ever since that SB appearance, it's been downhill since then. When I read Smitty's book, it was all too relatable to what's going on now. 

Yep. It was good management book. But boring and stretched like Smitty. I think best part of the book was he talked candidly about failures and mistakes in 2013-2014. He didn’t blame Any one but himself.

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Both Smitty and Quinn Have their strengths and weaknesses, but are nothing alike as coaches. And this is nothing like 2013-14, that team was void on talent.

If healthy/not burned-out Smith were coaching this team, I have no doubt it would be playing winning football. 

And I'm not saying you don't need talent. Of course you need talent and I think Smitty really struggled to capture the right talent in the draft because he had trouble knowing what he wanted. I think that was also part is his downfall. Winning in the locker room and a system in place is one thing, but talent is needed too. 

On 10/12/2019 at 0:23 PM, falcons007 said:

Yep. It was good management book. But boring and stretched like Smitty. I think best part of the book was he talked candidly about failures and mistakes in 2013-2014. He didn’t blame Any one but himself.

You mean, He didn’t throw TD under the bus like TD did with him? 

5 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

And I'm not saying you don't need talent. Of course you need talent and I think Smitty really struggled to capture the right talent in the draft because he had trouble knowing what he wanted. I think that was also part is his downfall. Winning in the locker room and a system in place is one thing, but talent is needed too. 

I don’t think he didn’t know what he wanted. He didn’t have as much control as DQ and was not a talent evaluator. That was the reason AB gave DQ complete control over roster. 
All this explosive crap was pushed down his throat. He wanted tough hard nosed team.

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

I never believed Smitty “struggled” with the draft, you can’t struggle if it never was your responsibility. I do agree it wasn’t his strength, while it was TD’s strength. That partnership between those two is what made team successful for 5 years straight.

He was a defensive coach on a team built for offense. Until things fell apart TD was firmly in charge of personnel. 

Smith had some say so, of course. But bottom line he coached the players he was given. 

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I never believed Smitty “struggled” with the draft, it never was his responsibilty. He was a defensive coach on a team built for offense. Until things fell apart TD was firmly in charge of personnel. 

Smith had some say so, of course. But bottom line he coached the players he was given. 

That's where I think part of his downfall is though. You have to know exactly which type of players you need in your organization and team to make it work. I don't think Smith conveyed the message as well as he should have to TD or the scouts. He should have taken control of that situation.

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

That's where I think part of his downfall is though. You have to know exactly which type of players you need in your organization and team to make it work. I don't think Smith conveyed the message as well as he should have to TD or the scouts. He should have taken control of that situation.

Yeah, I’ve just never agreed with that. I think his candle just burned out after his health scare, combined with TD making some huge draft mistakes. And then some terrible injury luck.. Losing Julio for a full season, Sam Baker, spoon/Jerry/Moore et al. This team got old real fast after we fell 10 yards short against 49ers playoff game.

14 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Okay maybe not veterans per se, but he was also notorious for giving playing time to guys who were clearly under performing.  

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I never believed Smitty “struggled” with the draft, you can’t struggle if it never was his responsibility. I do agree it wasn’t his strength, while it was TD’s strength. That’s what made those two successful for 5 years straight.

He was a defensive coach on a team built for offense. Until things fell apart TD was firmly in charge of personnel. 

I remember Most of post draft interviews of TD.

TD on Lamar Holmes: we think he is a steal of the draft. We scouted him for more than 2 years.

Goodman: he has long arms, we had him on our watch for couple years.

Mapoonga: another great guy with motor and athleticism. We scouted him well. 

Massaqua: We think he is the best pass rusher in this draft and a bit raw .. he had been on our radar for couple of years.

I can go on and on. 

2 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

Okay maybe not veterans per se, but he was also notorious for giving playing time to guys who were clearly under performing.  

The back ups were no better. And MS gave rookies  and UDFA plenty of reps early on. That’s the cycle of NFL BB mastered. DQ like Smitty gave the young guys chance because he had no choice in 2015-2016. As they got experienced, the rookies saw less and less snaps. It’s usually pretty much all coaches.

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yeah, I’ve just never agreed with that. I think his candle just burned out after his health scare, combined with TD making some huge draft mistakes. 

I'll say this though...

Smitty focused on the intagibles and mental fortitude of a player a lot. Quinn focuses on the athletic and speed traits a lot. Wouldn't it be great if we had a mix of that right now?

Give me more Deions, Gradys and Allens. Give me no more of Vics and Campbells. 

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I remember Most of post draft interviews of TD.

TD on Lamar Holmes: we think he is a steal of the draft. We scouted him for more than 2 years.

Goodman: he has long arms, we had him on our watch for couple years.

Mapoonga: another great guy with motor and athleticism. We scouted him well. 

Massaqua: We think he is the best pass rusher in this draft and a bit raw .. he had been on our radar for couple of years.

I can go on and on. 

Hageman probably was on Smith. And maybe Trufant as well. 

and for whatever it’s worth, Trufant has never been the same player under Quinn he was under smith. 

4 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

I'll say this though...

Smitty focused on the intagibles and mental fortitude of a player a lot. Quinn focuses on the athletic and speed traits a lot. Wouldn't it be great if we had a mix of that right now?

Great point. That’s big part of his book. He talked about having overachievers and smart players in your locker room. How they influence other less talented players to perform better. The winning starts in locker room. 

8 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

Not early on, but once team got successful of course he did. All coaches do that, including Quinn. 

One of the many mis- truths told in here was how different Quinn was over smith when it came to playing rookies, that Quinn gave everyone an equal chance. That was utter BS.