Chuck Smith Speaking About The Falcons

Knight of God

10 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

Matt Ryan is NOT an issue.  I was never a big Matt Ryan fan (not personal but just prefer more dynamic QBs) BUT this team can win with him (saw it in 2016).  When Matt has time, he will pick NFL Ds apart but he seldom has that time and way too often penalties happen when he does.   That said, one has to wonder if someone else would be a better solution but his contract makes any other consideration pure fantasy.    This team's two biggest issues are a questionable offensive scheme that shows little creativity to get playmakers open and a defense that looks like we have 4-5 rookies playing on every down. 

Even simpler than that Matt Ryan just needs a consistent threat on the ground and then he eats teams apart just like Brady Brees and co do then the deep shots open up for them the defense condenses Ridley and Julio feast.

This is the issue even in DKs bland as scheme if we have a running threat Ryan will still feast.

Here’s the deal guys.  How did we allow that video to determine that the problems with our team is MR?

I try really hard to allow folks to submit their personal feelings on what AB needs to do to get this under control.  But because 4 or 5 people cannot help themselves, we must hash through 10 pages of BS horse manure as if MR is the reason we suck.

Good luck with this.  Go ahead & do another 10 pages while you ignore everything bad about this team.

i have a newfound appreciation for Chuck Smith.  There are dozens of problems on this team.  MR if you really want to be honest should remain as one of our strengths for several more years. 

If we end up drafting a QB that isn’t on par with MR, this board omg!  I want a QB with legs too but I’m not stupid enough to ignore his gifts.

Carry on amigos.

11 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

Matt Ryan is NOT an issue.  I was never a big Matt Ryan fan (not personal but just prefer more dynamic QBs) BUT this team can win with him (saw it in 2016).  When Matt has time, he will pick NFL Ds apart but he seldom has that time and way too often penalties happen when he does.   That said, one has to wonder if someone else would be a better solution but his contract makes any other consideration pure fantasy.    This team's two biggest issues are a questionable offensive scheme that shows little creativity to get playmakers open and a defense that looks like we have 4-5 rookies playing on every down. 

Exactly how I feel.  Ryan is more than capable of winning games. I’m not the biggest fan either but I know it’s possible to win with him. The Defense and play calling make falcons football unwatchable 

Not saying that Matt is as good as Brees, Rogers or Brady but I am pretty certain that if you put any of those three in Matt’s place on the Falcons this year with the poor schemes and even worse player performances that the results would be similar to what has happened with Matt. That was one very long sentence:)

3 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Here’s the deal guys.  How did we allow that video to determine that the problems with our team is MR?

I try really hard to allow folks to submit their personal feelings on what AB needs to do to get this under control.  But because 4 or 5 people cannot help themselves, we must hash through 10 pages of BS horse manure as if MR is the reason we suck.

Good luck with this.  Go ahead & do another 10 pages while you ignore everything bad about this team.

i have a newfound appreciation for Chuck Smith.  There are dozens of problems on this team.  MR if you really want to be honest should remain as one of our strengths for several more years. 

If we end up drafting a QB that isn’t on par with MR, this board omg!  I want a QB with legs too but I’m not stupid enough to ignore his gifts.

Carry on amigos.

See below for thread derailed point (1st reply on page 1 lol):

16 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

They are just saying exactly what ive been saying all year.. And I agree, we have to have a total rebuild and its time to start now. We've got to find a way to offlaod Ryan and rebuild our defense while reconstructing our entire coaching staff

Imagine being so personally invested in hating on Ryan that you derail and deflect from a thread highlighting the real problems on the Falcons...

You need a mirror. Thank goodness AB doesn’t listen to ignorance like this. He’ll get rid of Quinn when the time comes; without a massive turnaround, and get a coach that can work with the talent on this roster.

Imagine defending this defense. Imagine thinking coaching isn’t THE biggest factor in getting most out of a roster.

Blow it all up? There isn't anything to work with?

lol

2 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Carry on amigos.

Exactly Hash Matt Ryan’s plenty good enough we as a team aren’t actually helping him perform to the best of his ability.

I find and had a passionate discussion with Baptist in another thread the issue that we try and point the finger at one perspective for success or failure is beyond me When in all essence for this team to perform there are many variables involved.

All these characters saying we need a mobile QB is the latest misnomer mentioned.How bout just use him like you mentioned Hash to what he’s good at.Or how bout our coaches have a better plan of attack in the run game so Ryan can actually play to his strengths but no let’s just take the easy out and call for a new QB.

13 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Mobile QB don't do any better than pocket passers. Sure you have an exception like Russell Wilson but outside of that , its like 1-2 hit wonders. 

Russel Wilson, Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson and even Aaron Rodgers are mobile QBs. They're on par or better than any pocket passer in the league.

EDIT: And freaking Mahomes, I forgot about him.

Edited by ChickenBiscuit

3 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Russel Wilson, Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson and even Aaron Rodgers are mobile QBs. They're on par or better than any pocket passer in the league.

EDIT: And freaking Mahomes, I forgot about him.

Only Wilson is mobile and Watson to an extent, the rest are scrambling QB.  

35 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Imagine being so personally invested in hating on Ryan that you derail and deflect from a thread highlighting the real problems on the Falcons...

You need a mirror. Thank goodness AB doesn’t listen to ignorance like this. He’ll get rid of Quinn when the time comes; without a massive turnaround, and get a coach that can work with the talent on this roster.

Imagine defending this defense. Imagine thinking coaching isn’t THE biggest factor in getting most out of a roster.

lol

I feel like coaching alone isn't gonna solve the defenses woes. It's gonna take a heavy draft investment.

We gotta get Chase Young or Derrick Brown. We've needed that extra impact player on defense for so long, especially at DE or DT. Grady is incredible, but he needs help.

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Only Wilson is mobile and Watson to an extent, the rest are scrambling QB.  

What even constitutes a "scrambling QB"? Is it ability to read a defense? 60% completion? All those guys put up good numbers inside the pocket, I feel like you're penalizing those guys for being able to run when they're just as capable of passing. 

EDIT: And Mahomes ain't a scrambling QB, he can out throw anyone in this league lol 

Edited by ChickenBiscuit

4 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

What even constitutes a "scrambling QB"? Is it ability to read a defense? 60% completion? All those guys put up good numbers inside the pocket, I feel like you're penalizing those guys for being able to run when they're just as capable of passing. 

EDIT: And Mahomes ain't a scrambling QB, he can out throw anyone in this league lol 

One two reads then tuck in run.

4 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Cam newton, Kaep are mobile QB. They have designed runs not just when play breaks down. On your list, if you look at next gen stats, Ryan is not too far from Wilson in completing passes when pocket breaks down. Only Wilson had better completion than Ryan scrambling.  My point was mobile QBs won’t last long in NFL, they get hurt often.

In 2019, Rodgers and Ryan are identical in scrambling, chances are it won’t be that way at end of season. 

12 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I feel like coaching alone isn't gonna solve the defenses woes. It's gonna take a heavy draft investment.

We gotta get Chase Young or Derrick Brown. We've needed that extra impact player on defense for so long, especially at DE or DT. Grady is incredible, but he needs help.

Coaching matters a lot for this team's on field performance but no doubt it needs more infused.

Trouble is...the OL overhaul was due and DQ said: Hold my beer. I'll get the D right. Let's invest in the OL when we haven't been.

He thought he'd be getting waaaay more out of not just Vic but also Takk. He thought Oliver wouldn't be a downgrade from a bad year Alford put up. The number of guys playing worse this year is mind boggling. Tru started 2018 badly. Even Debo hasn't been making many plays this year.

Front 7 on D is coming due and we are starting to clear cap space for the D in the next 2-3 years time frame by dropping some existing contracts on offense. Draft picks like Takk and Vic were supposed to be big contributors. They can barely show up on Sunday's at all let alone make a play. We changed our defense a bit in the offseason but coverages are basically the same. Guys aren't communicating pre-snap and are misplaying coverages amongst DBs; which shouldn't be happening regardless of the alignment difference with 5 DL up front.

And...when players are in position they aren't closing as a team with proper angles to limit YAC.

We're fast. We're just dumb at playing right now...it's weird too because the run D has marked improvements. The pass D is just that bad we can't make teams pass in unfavorable circumstances.

The only real shot this D has is the O buying it time by getting out to big leads ala 2016. Does Dirk have it in him when our run game has been missing since 2017?

McGary is having the expected growing pains when elite guys like Watt just sent him to school. We could really use Chris right now but he's gotta wait at least 4 more weeks. Brown coming back will be nice. No more Wes...ever please.

I think a quick turnaround with a gelling OL, going to RBBC with Ito + QO/Hill and a new guy is the way to go unless Free absolutely goes off moving forward this year.

Get a better fundamentals based DC in here that can AT LEAST build a pass rush, etc.. that they can be a complimentary D.

Rush passer and get TOs...but the O should be on fire as guys get used to Dirk's flavors and Dirk knows how to call it better. Year 1 is always the tough part...but it's where we are. Though if DQ goes it won't much matter. Still, we'd be an extremely attractive place for an offensive minded head coach. Can't let tag along OCs like Kyle happen again. We should have a SB ring/trophy to show for it...but DQ let us down even then after the offense carried us there.

At least that D was getting TOs and sacking the QB...

When we are talking Matt Ryan and mobility I never saw him be better than in 15/16 with KS calling plays they had designed roll outs and had him throwing on the move.This also made him more effective.Coaches have a huge bit to play in this and goes back to basically using a player to his strengths and giving him tools to be successful.

Every other OC he’s had for the most part have him teed up under centre.To me this is an issue when we are talking about taking sacks and making a guy whose limited with mobility being an easier target.

10 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

lol

Agreed

10 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Exactly Hash Matt Ryan’s plenty good enough we as a team aren’t actually helping him perform to the best of his ability.

I find and had a passionate discussion with Baptist in another thread the issue that we try and point the finger at one perspective for success or failure is beyond me When in all essence for this team to perform there are many variables involved.

All these characters saying we need a mobile QB is the latest misnomer mentioned.How bout just use him like you mentioned Hash to what he’s good at.Or how bout our coaches have a better plan of attack in the run game so Ryan can actually play to his strengths but no let’s just take the easy out and call for a new QB.

It’s obviously agenda driven & derails us from discussing the real issues at hand.

9 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Coaching matters a lot for this team's on field performance but no doubt it needs more infused.

Trouble is...the OL overhaul was due and DQ said: Hold my beer. I'll get the D right. Let's invest in the OL when we haven't been.

He thought he'd be getting waaaay more out of not just Vic but also Takk. He thought Oliver wouldn't be a downgrade from a bad year Alford put up. The number of guys playing worse this year is mind boggling. Tru started 2018 badly. Even Debo hasn't been making many plays this year.

Front 7 on D is coming due and we are starting to clear cap space for the D in the next 2-3 years time frame by dropping some existing contracts on offense. Draft picks like Takk and Vic were supposed to be big contributors. They can barely show up on Sunday's at all let alone make a play. We changed our defense a bit in the offseason but coverages are basically the same. Guys aren't communicating pre-snap and are misplaying coverages amongst DBs; which shouldn't be happening regardless of the alignment difference with 5 DL up front.

And...when players are in position they aren't closing as a team with proper angles to limit YAC.

We're fast. We're just dumb at playing right now...it's weird too because the run D has marked improvements. The pass D is just that bad we can't make teams pass in unfavorable circumstances.

The only real shot this D has is the O buying it time by getting out to big leads ala 2016. Does Dirk have it in him when our run game has been missing since 2017?

McGary is having the expected growing pains when elite guys like Watt just sent him to school. We could really use Eric right now but he's gotta wait at least 4 more weeks. Brown coming back will be nice. No more Wes...ever please.

I think a quick turnaround with a gelling OL, going to RBBC with Ito + QO/Hill and a new guy is the way to go unless Free absolutely goes off moving forward this year.

Get a better fundamentals based DC in here that can AT LEAST build a pass rush, etc.. that they can be a complimentary D.

Rush passer and get TOs...but the O should be on fire as guys get used to Dirk's flavors and Dirk knows how to call it better. Year 1 is always the tough part...but it's where we are. Though if DQ goes it won't much matter. Still, we'd be an extremely attractive place for an offensive minded head coach. Can't let tag along OCs like Kyle happen again. We should have a SB ring/trophy to show for it...but DQ let us down even then after the offense carried us there.

At least that D was getting TOs and sacking the QB...

Great post.

13 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Not saying that Matt is as good as Brees, Rogers or Brady  but I am pretty certain that if you put any of those three in Matt’s place on the Falcons this year with the poor schemes and even worse player performances that the results would be similar to what has happened with Matt. That was one very long sentence:)

Actually he is, or at least in 2016-18, he was better than any of those 3. This year he’s been off, but a lot of extenuating factors as to why. 

Called both Takk and Vic roleplayers :lol:

Chuck is 100% right now with his analysis. Coaching is a part of the problem but it’s not the entirety of it. This defense needs a lot work which is par for the course as a Falcon fan. Hopefully Blank gets the right guys to fix this mess. I’m not holding my breath. 

35 minutes ago, ZoneOne01 said:

Called both Takk and Vic roleplayers :lol:

Chuck is 100% right now with his analysis. Coaching is a part of the problem but it’s not the entirety of it. This defense needs a lot work which is par for the course as a Falcon fan. Hopefully Blank gets the right guys to fix this mess. I’m not holding my breath. 

I did at the beginning of the year. Takk is nothing special and average guy with a low ceiling. Vic is you don’t know which Vic you get, a guy with high ceiling but low effort.  TD missed out on some one like Michael Bennet, he is veteran and a very vocal guy. This D needs a leader.

On 10/12/2019 at 6:11 AM, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

They are just saying exactly what ive been saying all year.. And I agree, we have to have a total rebuild and its time to start now. We've got to find a way to offlaod Ryan and rebuild our defense while reconstructing our entire coaching staff

Absolutely no way of moving Ryan