Champagne

How could the Braves lose to the Cards?

28 posts in this topic

Nah, I'd say the Soroka decision was not 1 guy. AA says that he and the other higher ups play in on approving decisions. It's clear they approved it, and the rumor is they asked Soroka about it.

Of course had they put it in terms of starting 2 games except 1, he'd have likely jumped on the 2, but another thing I'm not sold on (and it probably factored in) was if he'd have succeeded on short rest. I bet that also played into their discussions.

Bruh...if only Martin hadn't of gotten hurt, Fried is probably starting game 4 and even though he likely doesn't go deep, with how the stuff looked early on, he likely pitches a great game and it MAY be enough.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

1 minute ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Nah, I'd say the Soroka decision was not 1 guy. AA says that he and the other higher ups play in on approving decisions. It's clear they approved it, and the rumor is they asked Soroka about it.

Of course had they put it in terms of starting 2 games except 1, he'd have likely jumped on the 2, but another thing I'm not sold on (and it probably factored in) was if he'd have succeeded on short rest. I bet that also played into their discussions.

Bruh...if only Martin hadn't of gotten hurt, Fried is probably starting game 4 and even though he likely doesn't go deep, with how the stuff looked early on, he likely pitches a great game and it MAY be enough.

Anthopolous did admit they discussed it in their normal roster meetings prior to Game 1. He said the vision was a 1-1 tie with Soroka to break it. They just didnt expect Keuchel to be ineffective and the offense to struggle in clutch spots.

On 10/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, mqg96 said:

This and putting in Luke Jackson in Game 1 instead of sticking with Fried as your closer from the beginning. That changed the whole momentum which led to us losing Game 1. Would have been a sweep over the Cardinals if not for this. Smitker over thought with the pitching. I would have also started Mike Soroka more too.

I was hoping Fried would go deeper, but it looked like the plan was to use him in multiple games. They couldn't have known that Martin wasn't going to be able to take the ball, and there's nothing to say another pitcher wouldn't have done what Jackson did or worse.

I do agree that making Soroka the Game 3 starter was too cute.

Literally, anyone getting a hit in 9 tries with RISP in Game 4 would have meant there would have been no Game 5.

mqg96 and Malachore like this