ike barn87987

John DeFilippo and Gary Kubiak

69 posts in this topic

—Earlier this week we released a list of the hottest names in coaching based on conversations with league insiders. Two names were added in mid-week conversations: John DeFilippo (OC, Jacksonville) and Gary Kubiak (Asst. HC, Minnesota).

DeFilippo was a hot name when he took the offensive coordinator job last season with the Vikings, but a disagreement on strategy with head coach Mike Zimmer led to his dismissal.

One source explained that the turnaround of Dalvin Cook's career and the rushing output in Minnesota are in large part Kubiak's doing—which is backed up by his track record of producing 1,000-yard rushers in his past coaching jobs. 

1a9ffafdc94a92346c8f07a2bfbe5dd6_crop_exact.jpg?w=2975&h=2048&q=85John Raoux/Associated Press

Since the Jaguars lost Nick Foles to injury, DeFilippo has helped a sixth-round quarterback from an Air Raid offense became one of the hottest names in football. Gardner Minshew II mania could very well help DeFilippo finally land a head coaching job.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2857522-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-jeff-okudah-is-top-cb-talent-since-jalen-ramsey.amp.html?share=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

IMO the most important thing besides the OC and DC for a HC is the GM. That's where it starts. In trying to find a connection with these 2 coaches, I've come up with George Paton and Reggie McKenzie. I'm more on the Paton/Kubiak wagon. DeFilippo and Paton could work too, but both would be first timers. But DeFilippo is still a hot name from last year.

On the defensive side I like Matt Eberflus, but can't find a GM connection other than Will McClay. And it might be hard getting him away from Dallas.

CMarinoNFL likes this

I feel like we're probably going to hire an outside firm to pick both so the connection between the two might not matter much.

9 minutes ago, The Architect said:

I feel like we're probably going to hire an outside firm to pick both so the connection between the two might not matter much.

I hope not.  They need to hire a GM, and let the GM hire a coach.

21 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I’d actually roll the dice on DeFillipo.

Over Kubiak? Interesting. 

Any particular reason why?

We need an old head running this ship a guy that’s been there done that.

We’ve been unable to finish.We’ve been within footsteps of the summit I need an old heads direction and experience to see what and where we are going wrong.

I’m not in for the start again and wait for a new guy to get his feet under him.I want a guy to come in diagnose what we have use what’s here now and finish the job.

You get a new coach and GM in here it’s almost blow it up because they’ll want to do things there way.Leave there mark it’s always like that.

They way this team is constructed I see the new coach being an experienced guy that can come in a win immediately. Don’t see giving an young upstart a chance. Gotta ride the Ryan/Julio train out now. Once their done, if a bowl hasn’t come then I think everything is scurbbed clean. 

Falcon fan 4 ever likes this

2 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Over Kubiak? Interesting. 

Any particular reason why?

I like Kubiak. Under ordinary circumstances he’d be my first choice, but he burned out twice — God bless him — but his health issues would be a concern. Does he even wanna be a HC anymore?

I tend to like the fresh hungry guy. I like DeFilippo’s work with QB’s his scheme and he’s been on the rise for a while. 

If you’re going with an offensive guy, I like former quarterbacks coaches. He checks a lot of boxes for me.

I’d prefer Kubiak, just cuz we’ve seen what he can do as a HC. Defilippo is a bit polarizing for me. He’s done a good job in the passing game his last few jobs including his current one, but his run games have been lacking. Guess he wasn’t the OC at philly though so can’t blame him there for their mediocre at best run game. 

Flying Falcon likes this

I’d rather DeFillipio of the two, but still prefer JMac. Wonder if he is willing to leave bean town, if there is any value in the TD Patriots connection?

(Of course, until Koetter got the offense ticking a little better, I was in favor of firing Koetter and hiring Knapp now, so while that's a joke, I actually wouldn't be horrified if he were to steady the ship mid-season).

papachaz likes this

10 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Kubiak had to step down from 2 different teams due to health reasons.

Being an NFL head coach is not a stress free job

Being a fan is stressful.... But I wonder if Kubiak could be GM material. Interesting to see who he would bring in to build the coaching staff.

3 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I like Kubiak. Under ordinary circumstances he’d be my first choice, but he burned out twice — God bless him — but his health issues would be a concern. Does he even wanna be a HC anymore?

I tend to like the fresh hungry guy. I like DeFilippo’s work with QB’s his scheme and he’s been on the rise for a while. 

If you’re going with an offensive guy, I like former quarterbacks coaches. He checks a lot of boxes for me.

Good stuff. Now along with that I think the Falcons franchise needs a disciplined coach and not a player's coach.

We've tried the player's coach route wayyyyy too often. Do you think DeFilippo fits that mold?

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Kubiak had to step down from 2 different teams due to health reasons.

Being an NFL head coach is not a stress free job

Especially working for or being a fan of the Falcons. Lol

3 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

How bout Kubiak in Knapps role.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

If you go after a offensive minded HC that's already an OC then you do everything you can to get the little dousch from NE.

He was bad as a Denver coach imo.