Brett Kollmann: The Film Room Episode 119: The Falcons defense is PAINFUL to watch

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I saw this tweet on Sunday, I knew this episode was coming.  

The funny thing is that he's a Texans fan. Rather than being excited for the win, he's pissed off at how poorly coached we are lol.

This isn’t the way the scheme was designed to be played. As vel pointed out, there are checks built into every call that’s supposed to adjust to certain formations, certain route combinations, etc.

The play he highlights when the Texans got the PA shot play around the 3:30 mark is where I knew this defense had no clue what was going on and why I can't blame DQ 100%. He can call Cover Three. But when nobody is identifying on field personnel, that's a player issue. After the motion, it essentially becomes a trips left look. We know against trips, this defense will run man coverage backside. That means Trufant is now in coverage.....against an extra OL. Nobody stopped to think this was an issue or adjust accordingly. They just went with it. That's poor football awareness that no coach can overcome. Then you see Trufant bail and just watch the play essentially. Never finds work when it's clearly a two man route. 

Stuff like this is so frustrating because it should be so basic for NFL level defenders but it's not. It's why even if DQ gets fired, this defense needs a talent overhaul. Trufant, like I've said millions of times before, loves to cover grass and just watch plays and offenses around the league know this and have been capitalizing on this since he came back from injury. It's lazy football. 

The only issue I have is when he blames DQ for Trufant's regression. Like he said, he's been in this scheme 5 years now, yet he can't get the basics right at this point. That's a Trufant issue. This board knows the rules of this scheme after five years, why doesn't a 7 year vet? These are basic mistakes he's been making. He's lazy in his technique and clueless in zone very often. Has been since Smitty was here. 

Just now, vel said:

The only issue I have is when he blames DQ for Trufant's regression. Like he said, he's been in this scheme 5 years now, yet he can't get the basics right at this point. That's a Trufant issue. This board knows the rules of this scheme after five years, why doesn't a 7 year vet? These are basic mistakes he's been making. He's lazy in his technique and clueless in zone very often. Has been since Smitty was here. 

I collectively blame them both equally. Tru's been doing this **** for awhile. 

17 minutes ago, vel said:

The play he highlights when the Texans got the PA shot play around the 3:30 mark is where I knew this defense had no clue what was going on and why I can't blame DQ 100%. He can call Cover Three. But when nobody is identifying on field personnel, that's a player issue. After the motion, it essentially becomes a trips left look. We know against trips, this defense will run man coverage backside. That means Trufant is now in coverage.....against an extra OL. Nobody stopped to think this was an issue or adjust accordingly. They just went with it. That's poor football awareness that no coach can overcome. Then you see Trufant bail and just watch the play essentially. Never finds work when it's clearly a two man route. 

Stuff like this is so frustrating because it should be so basic for NFL level defenders but it's not. It's why even if DQ gets fired, this defense needs a talent overhaul. Trufant, like I've said millions of times before, loves to cover grass and just watch plays and offenses around the league know this and have been capitalizing on this since he came back from injury. It's lazy football. 

Turfant is just lazy. I have never thought he was all that people hyped him up to be. He only looks good when he wants to. Just most of the time he does not want to. My eyes tell me Tru is just doing his thing and he does not care if it hurts the team. He was not that great before his injury. QBs just never threw to his guy. Why would they when Alford would get flagged most of the time for a BS PI. 

Edited by high impact
10 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Current players, former players, former coaches, current coaches, bad "on TV analysts" and fantastic youtube analysts are all saying the same thing:

Soft Zone

This isn’t the way the scheme was designed to be played. As vel pointed out, there are checks built into every call that’s supposed to adjust to certain formations, certain route combinations, etc.

Don’t know where the disconnect is coming from — our DB/Passing Game Coordinator, I’m looking at you, but no scheme is designed to do this.

9 minutes ago, vel said:

I’ve never been a huge fan of Tru’s “football instincts”, that’s why I don’t even trip that he doesn’t always shadow the number one receiver, or looks lost when a ball carrier breaks into the open field towards him, but ****, that play at the 2:20-something mark against the Colts :bang: he’s a vet. Yeah he’s got deep 1/3 but you let the receiver eat up that cushion so you can drive on that hook. He keeps bailing like he’s afraid to get beaten over the top despite the scouting report and ALL the film coming into the game that the Colts don’t push the ball over the top.

Smh. 

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Don’t know where the disconnect is coming from — our DB/Passing Game Coordinator, I’m looking at you, but no scheme is designed to do this.

I’ve never been a huge fan of Tru’s “football instincts”, that’s why I don’t even trip that he doesn’t always shadow the number one receiver, or looks lost when a ball carrier breaks into the open field towards him, but ****, that play at the 2:20-something mark against the Colts :bang: he’s a vet. Yeah he’s got deep 1/3 but you let the receiver eat up that cushion so you can drive on that hook. He keeps bailing like he’s afraid to get beaten over the top despite the scouting report and ALL the film coming into the game that the Colts don’t push the ball over the top.

Smh. 

I understand this. But unfortunately for Quinn his players aren't figuring even the simplest of details out. The players are almost actively trying to get him fired. I truly believe its at the point where people have just started tuning him out, not listening or respecting what he says. Usually this is the biggest issue for coaches who struggle and what mostly leads to them being fired.

3 minutes ago, vel said:

But what do you do if you constantly coach him not to but he does? And he's paid like the #1 CB on the team? 

What do you think BB would do? The guy who benched his #1 CB in the SB. Accountability and setting a precedent is SO important. It's on Quinn to break Tru's habits and/or not allow them to form in the first place. I think Quinn allowed Tru to regress by not holding him accountable. 

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Smh. 

Man... All of that. We're not NFL players and we see this stuff. Like you said, no scheme is designed to do some of the stuff this defense is doing. It's not all DQ. Campbell playing way out of position on that 3rd down vs the Titans is 100% player error. You can say "DQ needs to coach him" but WTF is he supposed to do in that situation? 

Same with Tru. He gets praise for stuff like "limiting YAC" or "fewest missed tackles at CB" but it's because he plays so soft like you pointed out. He thinks the scheme is "Just get deep and give up the underneath". That's why he's always bailing and sprinting deep and so concerned about his deep third and not the rest of the defense. Willingly guarding an extra OL is criminal. That's some shlt I expect Oliver to do, not Tru. His technique has been bad but again they've listened and believed a lot of these BS metrics that say he's a good CB so he's never changed. 

I'm all for them moving on. Like I've said, he's being paid like a top 7 CB and is playing like a fifth round rookie. 

8 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

What do you think BB would do? The guy who benched his #1 CB in the SB. Accountability and setting a precedent is SO important. It's on Quinn to break Tru's habits and/or not allow them to form in the first place. I think Quinn allowed Tru to regress by not holding him accountable. 

I fully agree. 100%. That's where I blame DQ. But this is worse than it's ever been with Tru. Just basic stuff is being missed. The problem is benching him for....? Oliver has been struggling royally. Sheffield is only ok. Wreh-Wilson has been hurt. Miller? 

The secondary needs an overhaul. Again. 

Just now, vel said:

I fully agree. 100%. That's where I blame DQ. But this is worse than it's ever been with Tru. Just basic stuff is being missed. The problem is benching him for....? Oliver has been struggling royally. Sheffield is only ok. Wreh-Wilson has been hurt. Miller? 

I'd say Miller absolutely deserves some playing time.  

2 minutes ago, vel said:

I mean, if I'm Dan Quinn, I tell him point blank, you ain't getting me fired dude.  Oliver might.  Sheff might.  Blidi might.  Miller might.  But you get paid $70 million.  You ain't the one.  So you can get your **** in one sock or you're going to ride pine the rest of the season.  We'll give you some snaps on special teams if you don't screw that up.  Maybe we'll let you do returns.  But you ain't getting me fired.

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

I'd say Miller absolutely deserves some playing time.  

I agree. But is he better than Tru? I don't know. That's the dilemma. You already benched Oliver last game for Sheffield. Kazee was moved to safety but has a concussion. There isn't enough in the secondary right now to effectively put Tru on the bench without putting an admittedly worse player on the field. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Bench.....his.....***......

Let's be honest @vel, you say we'd be benching Tru to put an "admittedly worse player on the field."

How could these other guys be any worse than this?  Nobody is even asking Tru to play like a Pro Bowler. We're just asking that he be minimally competent and he can't do that.