What is the pulse of this fan base; per TATF on Matt Ryan...?

Ergo Proxy

The Ultimate Matt Ryan Poll  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which is a more true perception of Matt Ryan among Atlanta Falcon fans...(TATF pulse)

• He can do no wrong! He is the perfect QB! (He never gets blamed enough)
    • He never does enough! He isn't or can't be elite! (He is blamed too harshly and doesn't get enough credit)

The season is off to a terrible start. Ryan is admittedly not playing as well as he did from 2016-2018, especially turnovers to start the year, but what has been the fan reaction to his performance in regards to the team performance?

If you let the loudest fans tell it...what do you hear the most from Falcons fans regarding the franchise QB?

A TATF fan pulse check in a down year.:munch:

ADDED: If you have anything better than these 2 extremes, then please feel free to share your takes or insights. :tiphat:

Not really great poll options, but our fanbase doesn't deserve Ryan. He has been a HUGE bandaid on this team for years, and he has happy feet because he has been getting clobbered for years. He is a QB that deserves more, and my only complaint is that he is too much of a front office guy. I wish he was arrogant like Rodgers, and would take matters into his own hands.

9 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Fair enough.

Feel free to expound if you want, but I know this is a can of worms.

Would you have phrased options differently or added a 3rd option?

I get the purpose of your thread. And the 2 takes are usually the perception of Ryan. My point is that neither side is really right about him. Ryan is sometimes viewed as better than he actually is by some fans. But on the flip side, he gets blamed for the dumbest stuff and even some refuse to admit he’s a franchise QB.

I think some people don’t understand what a franchise QB actually is. Since Ryan is paid like a top tier QB, people expect him to be as good as Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. and because he’s not them, he sucks. And that’s just foolish to have that mentality. 

Ryan may not be a top 5 QB talent in the NFL. But he brings consistency, maturity, stability, and gives the team a fighting chance week in and week out....Something several franchises are starving for and something fans of our franchise have completely taken for granted. Ryan has missed 2 starts in 12 years. That’s pretty amazing. 

The actual truth about Ryan is that he’s a very good QB. He’s just not the best QB. And I’m ok with that. Because you don’t need a top 5 QB to win in this league.

2 minutes ago, Drvillain said:

Not really great poll options, but our fanbase doesn't deserve Ryan. He has been a HUGE bandaid on this team for years, and he has happy feet because he has been getting clobbered for years. He is a QB that deserves more, and my only complaint is that he is too much of a front office guy. I wish he was arrogant like Rodgers, and would take matters into his own hands.

youre right he has gotten clobbered. He’s taken alot of licks. May cut his career short 

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Since Ryan is paid like a top tier QB, people expect him to be as good as Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. and because he’s not them, he sucks. And that’s just foolish to have that mentality. 

Wrong. Ryan is just as good of a QB is that group. You know what those guys have had that Ryan hasn't? Consistency. Brees is the most accurate QB in the league, and he gets all day to throw. Ryan hasn't had that luxury. Guess what else is consistent with those guys (except rodgers now, who isnt playing as well), their coaches are of great OC quality that don't leave for another job. I think you're still underestimating Ryan. 

24 minutes ago, caponine said:

youre right he has gotten clobbered. He’s taken alot of licks. May cut his career short 

Gumby so far hasn't had the hits hurt his performance...that said, addressing the OL stability moving forward was a wise investment at his age this offseason; even if Lindstrom got hurt and McGary got delayed.

Of course, having a defense keep you in close games/allowing you to run more often will keep him from taking as many shots.

Wrong. Ryan is just as good of a QB is that group. You know what those guys have had that Ryan hasn't? Consistency. Brees is the most accurate QB in the league, and he gets all day to throw. Ryan hasn't had that luxury. Guess what else is consistent with those guys (except rodgers now, who isnt playing as well), their coaches are of great OC quality that don't leave for another job. I think you're still underestimating Ryan. 

No, I’m not underestimating Ryan. He is who he is. He’s not Rodgers or Mahomes. Stop it 

6 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I get the purpose of your thread. And the 2 takes are usually the perception of Ryan. My point is that neither side is really right about him. Ryan is sometimes viewed as better than he actually is by some fans. But on the flip side, he gets blamed for the dumbest stuff and even some refuse to admit he’s a franchise QB.

I think some people don’t understand what a franchise QB actually is. Since Ryan is paid like a top tier QB, people expect him to be as good as Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. and because he’s not them, he sucks. And that’s just foolish to have that mentality. 

Ryan may not be a top 5 QB talent in the NFL. But he brings consistency, maturity, stability, and gives the team a fighting chance week in and week out....Something several franchises are starving for and something fans of our franchise have completely taken for granted. Ryan has missed 2 starts in 12 years. That’s pretty amazing. 

The actual truth about Ryan is that he’s a very good QB. He’s just not the best QB. And I’m ok with that. Because you don’t need a top 5 QB to win in this league.

I am somewhere between your two posts.

From 2016-2018; discount this year because it's mainly marred from Ryan's INTs being unusually high...he was arguably the best QB in the league...finally in a WCO system that he is best suited for and he didn't get to it until the middle of his prime.

I think the consistency in the coaching department is a big factor and the fact he even has a case for best QB in that time frame is a credit to Matt AND what good coaching can do.