Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BamaBirdLady

We missed the Tomahawk Chop

58 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, jidady said:

And that's how many Native Americans feel about the Chop. So, you've just explained in your own words why we should stop.

Not sure how you got to that conclusion. Being called a drunk and doing a chop is not really an equal comparision to me.

Look we are going round and round, we will never agree on this, you have your idea and I have mine.

5 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

When are we going to get rid of animal mascots? All that is betraying is animal cruelty in the eyes of PETA

Exactly,  this road is endless.  If we continue every team will be the Atlanta Baseball team, Atlanta football team,  the UGA football team, so stupid!

Change the team name to a bird name or something. Maybe the Braves name is why we are cursed...?

If you told me the chop is the reason why we can’t win, I would do away with it tomorrow tbh.

I definitely think it’s odd that this dude waited until after they lost a game to say anything though. But I see the point about offending people as well. It’s the same reason why flying a confederate flag is stupid. 

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Change the team name to a bird name or something. Maybe the Braves name is why we are cursed...?

If you told me the chop is the reason why we can’t win, I would do away with it tomorrow tbh.

I definitely think it’s odd that this dude waited until after they lost a game to say anything though. But I see the point about offending people as well. It’s the same reason why flying a confederate flag is stupid. 

He just played us.

If we were Chopping as a form of disrespect or oppression,  I could see it. But we are not, we are celebrating the warriors bravery. 

I completely agree with not flying the Confederate flag for many reasons,  most importantly being the oppression of our fellow man.

Interesting point, what everyone considers to be the Confederate flag is actually not the flag of the Confederate.  The flag we associate with is the battle flag carried on the field by soldiers. The flag of the Confederate, that represented the men who started the war, was a completely different flag. Both just as horrible!

Black Francis likes this

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

From 1936-41 the Boston Braves changed their name to the Boston Bees.   They were still horrible.   It’s not the ‘Braves’ part of the name that is jinxed.  It’s the ‘Atlanta’ part

4 minutes ago, Nereek said:

My aunt, who happens to be full blooded Cherokee Indian, supports the tomahawk chop and thinks the team name is next.

Have her write a letter saying she supports everything and lets see who holds more power.....The fan or an opposing teams pitcher.

BamaBirdLady likes this

6 hours ago, jidady said:

I was walking the streets of Atlanta in 1991 in the hours after the Braves won the division and went worst to first. The atmosphere was electric as fans carried giant tomahawks and hummed that song all night long.

And if the Braves changed their name tomorrow and never did the chop again, I'd be much prouder of the team. It's an embarrassment. We should find a new thing.

genuinely curious, what would you rename them?

54 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Have her write a letter saying she supports everything and lets see who holds more power.....The fan or an opposing teams pitcher.

I'll give her the idea, but with this whole "woke" media moment, they will probably just bury it.

Just now, Born Again Georgian said:

genuinely curious, what would you rename them?

There's literally thousands of options. But as a Braves loyalist, I'd go with The Hammers.

34 minutes ago, jidady said:

There's literally thousands of options. But as a Braves loyalist, I'd go with The Hammers.

The Atlanta Hammers. Put a sledgehammer on their chest. Or some union worker from the I.B.E.W hammering a pipe fitting. Or maybe a pic of ole Hank swinging for the fences lmao. Nope. I’ll take the tomahawk. 

BamaBirdLady likes this

2 hours ago, Nereek said:

My aunt, who happens to be full blooded Cherokee Indian, supports the tomahawk chop and thinks the team name is next.

I actually wrote a letter to Liberal Media today expressing this very issue

BamaBirdLady likes this

8 hours ago, jidady said:

So, when someone tells you that something disrespects their cultural heritage, you still want to do it? You and I are very different people.

What native Americans have you heard say that?

3 minutes ago, LouDog said:

I'll take that to mean you haven't heard any

I'll make you a deal with you. If I list one that's happened this very year, multiple times, you'll cede the point and stay out of the rest of the thread. Deal?

Just now, jidady said:

I'll make you a deal with you. If I list one that's happened this very year, multiple times, you'll cede the point and stay out of the rest of the thread. Deal?

Dude ill post where I want. Deal?

Black Francis likes this

@jidady I know I have asked you this before and you didn't answer it the first time, so I am asking again. Where does this stop?

I mean if anyone can get so offended by the non- threating or non-violet actions of other people to the point that those people's actions are curtailed, freedom is doomed.

There are people who express themselves in a variety of ways that might seem offensive to others, but if it is not threating the safety of others, do we really want the PC going around telling what we can and can't do?

Just like what @tl;dr said , an individual said that something the fans of the team he lost the game to were doing something he was offended by. Funny that it wasn't an issue during the regular season! Funny it wasn't an issue seasons before! Nope, only when he lost!

If you can't see what his motivations are here I feel sorry for you. He played us and won.

Black Francis likes this

No.

The Tomahawk Chop did not help last year, or all those other years

The Braves stopped hitting.

The awesome "MVP"s on the roster were solved, or they stopped hitting.

The Braves used pitchers in spots not based on previous performance.

A relief pitcher pulls a muscle warming-up, (they have been taught how to care for their bodies most of their careers)

Some pitchers should not have been used...Some should not have been on the playoff roster.

jidady likes this

17 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Not sure how you got to that conclusion. Being called a drunk and doing a chop is not really an equal comparision to me.

Look we are going round and round, we will never agree on this, you have your idea and I have mine.

The Fighting Irish comes from the Irish Brigade in the Civil War. If the tomahawk chop is "honoring their culture" then so is the Fighting Irish.