Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BamaBirdLady

We missed the Tomahawk Chop

58 posts in this topic

This relief pitcher stole home field advantage from us! Our front office caved and pulled the rug right out from underneath us. At the beginning of each game when the guy is beating on the huge drum, the theme song is playing, the neon tomahawks are chopping all around the circle of the stadium and our guest is chopping the large neon tomahawk, the crowd sets the tone for the game.

That didn’t happen last night, it was dead.

If the front office thinks about doing this again, let them think about their fans. This is OURS! That is part of going to game, doing the tomahawk chop, doing it with your cellphone flashlight, celebrating our team!

We are not denigrating the Native American race, just the opposite, we are celebrating their strength, courage, and bravery!

The Viking were some of the most savage group of people in history. Attacking and killing Catholic priests and destroying whole villages. They were also some of the bravest and strongest people in history.  Do you think those of Danish and Norwegian descents are offended by the Minnesota Vikings?

Of course, there is the Indians and the Redskins, and how about the Chiefs? They do the Chop. Do you think if a punt returner on the Patriots was part Cherokee Indian and was offended by the Chop that their front office would prohibit the Chop in an AFC playoff game?

Then there is college football where the Atlanta Chop all began, FSU. They are Chopping away as they cheer on Osceola on Renegade as he takes the field with a flaming spear celebrating the heritage of the Seminole Nation.

We complain about our team being soft. Please, this nation is soft. Everyone is offended by everything, maybe everything isn’t offensive, and it is simply a thing people do.

Exactly. This is what certain politicians have created in this country. Sheeple are told what to be offended about and they just follow along because people can’t think for themselves anymore.

roguebeaver likes this

Yeah, totally. The reason the heart of the order couldn't hit for the entire series and why they gave up 10 runs in the 1st inning in game 5 was the lack of tomahawk chop in the last game.

How much a whiny baby do you have to be to think that's the reason? lmao

maorifalcon likes this

My point is thus: If you are going to make a change and abort a tradition that has long been held as motivational, then freaking wait and do it after the season is over! Just to decide to do it overnight and announce it to appease the opposition they way it was cowardly, and only speaks to the PR posture of a business owning the team - e.g., Liberty Media...afraid of boycotts and backlash...COWARDS! This is why corporate entities owning teams, sport franchises can say hey, we have an obligation to our customers, yada yada yada...and do something that goes against the very fan base that supports the specific team...

What was done by the Braves is unconscionable at this point during the contest...they should have waited and NOT made this the focus of the contest...after the season OKAY, during the series, game, shame on you Liberty Media!

Want to do something? Boycott the entities they have a share of stock in, see, AT&T, Sirius XM Holdings, just to name a few...

BamaBirdLady and sdogg like this

It was all sociological warfare! The Cardinals knew We had Homefield! So they set this guy up to go out and act all offended even though he looks like a Elizebeth Warren Indian! Look at him? He is Lilly White? He put out a story and our gullible front office most of whom are out of state transplants fell for it! Robbing us of our Homefield advantage just as the Cardinals drew it up! 

1 hour ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Yeah, totally. The reason the heart of the order couldn't hit for the entire series and why they gave up 10 runs in the 1st inning in game 5 was the lack of tomahawk chop in the last game.

How much a whiny baby do you have to be to think that's the reason? lmao

Did you read the post? I never said that was the reason we lost the game.

Please go back and read it again and I think you might want to edit your reply.

4 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Did you read the post? I never said that was the reason we lost the game.

Please go back and read it again and I think you might want to edit your reply.

Said the atmosphere was dead because the crowd apparently couldn't do the tomahawk chop which, presumably, led to the team imploding since they couldn't get into it. That wasn't the case since the crowd was electric prior to first pitch and they did the chop anyway later in the game. The reason the crowd was dead early on was because, y'know, the game was over right after it started.

I also remember when Braves fans didn't use the chop. It's not like we need it to have a good atmosphere. Frankly, it has gotten beyond ******* annoying since they play that whistle to get the crowd to do it every five seconds late in games.

You and others said people are soft for not wanting it. The only frailty I've seen is from the whining about people not liking it.

I was walking the streets of Atlanta in 1991 in the hours after the Braves won the division and went worst to first. The atmosphere was electric as fans carried giant tomahawks and hummed that song all night long.

And if the Braves changed their name tomorrow and never did the chop again, I'd be much prouder of the team. It's an embarrassment. We should find a new thing.

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

I was walking the streets of Atlanta in 1991 in the hours after the Braves won the division and went worst to first. The atmosphere was electric as fans carried giant tomahawks and hummed that song all night long.

And if the Braves changed their name tomorrow and never did the chop again, I'd be much prouder of the team. It's an embarrassment. We should find a new thing.

Show me on this doll where the chop hurt you...:rant:

2 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

Show me on this doll where the chop hurt you...:rant:

It's dumber than the Achy Breaky Heart song.

The lit-up smartphones thing is cool, though. We should do something innovative with that.

Just now, jidady said:

It's dumber than the Achy Breaky Heart song.

The lit-up smartphones thing is cool, though. We should do something innovative with that.

Like do the tomahawk chop. There is nothing wrong at all with it.

BamaBirdLady, capologist and sdogg like this

1 minute ago, wartownfalcon said:

Like do the tomahawk chop. There is nothing wrong at all with it.

So, when someone tells you that something disrespects their cultural heritage, you still want to do it? You and I are very different people.

11 minutes ago, jidady said:

So, when someone tells you that something disrespects their cultural heritage, you still want to do it? You and I are very different people.

I’m 1/8th and it’s not disrespectful to me nor my great grandmother. She was a team of every “Indian” branded professional team

35 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Said the atmosphere was dead because the crowd apparently couldn't do the tomahawk chop which, presumably, led to the team imploding since they couldn't get into it. That wasn't the case since the crowd was electric prior to first pitch and they did the chop anyway later in the game. The reason the crowd was dead early on was because, y'know, the game was over right after it started.

I also remember when Braves fans didn't use the chop. It's not like we need it to have a good atmosphere. Frankly, it has gotten beyond ******* annoying since they play that whistle to get the crowd to do it every five seconds late in games.

You and others said people are soft for not wanting it. The only frailty I've seen is from the whining about people not liking it.

Wow, that is quite a conclusion and a false conclusion at that!

I never once mentioned the play of the game, the score of the game, or any aspect of the game. So you got the assumption that when I say the crowd was dead and we should be able to do the cheer we have done since 1991, I am saying that cost us to lose the game???  That is hilarious!

If you find it annoying, don't go to the game. It has been part of the game experience for 28 years. I mean it is not like we just started doing this, it is a tradition.

Are you a Bulldawg fan, maybe some people find the barking annoying, should it be stopped? No, it is part of the game experience and a tradition!

Everybody gets offended by everything these days, you can't wish anyone Merry Christmas, say God Bless You if someone sneezes,  and forbid if a man holds the door open for some women.

It is a cheer for goodness sake, not a polictical statement!

capologist likes this

1 hour ago, wartownfalcon said:

I’m 1/8th and it’s not disrespectful to me nor my great grandmother. She was a team of every “Indian” branded professional team

I'm 1/4th as well, as my grandfather was Cherokee, which I wasn't going to mention. And I'm fine with it. However, it's part of a larger point. When someone says, "this offends my heritage," and a common-sense evaluation reinforces that thought, people should stop doing it. Requests like that are so easy to honor. It's just mean and petty not to do so. 

To a larger point, I feel the same way about this that Chris Jericho does about The List. He's never going to do it again because he wants to keep finding new and original stuff. We've been doing this for almost 30 years. We could do with something modern.

5 minutes ago, jidady said:

I'm 1/4th as well, as my grandfather was Cherokee, which I wasn't going to mention. And I'm fine with it. However, it's part of a larger point. When someone says, "this offends my heritage," and a common-sense evaluation reinforces that thought, people should stop doing it. Requests like that are so easy to honor. It's just mean and petty not to do so. 

To a larger point, I feel the same way about this that Chris Jericho does about The List. He's never going to do it again because he wants to keep finding new and original stuff. We've been doing this for almost 30 years. We could do with something modern.

So where does it stop? I am Irish and could say the Fighting Irish offends my heritage because the Irish are know to fight about anything and everything. You have probaly never heard of the Kilkenny Cats of Cook County, they wil fight about the color of the sky.

How about Norwegians who might be offended by the Vikings protray of them? Hey you never know, some Native Americans might be offended by the Cowboys and how they drove some many of them from their home lands.

Oh and the Sun Devils, the relegious right might go after them for worshipping the devil.

This could turn into a very long slippery slope that we don't want to start going down.

This is a tradition. Traditions mean something. There are new variations to the Chop, with the lit cellphones, still it's the Chop.

FYI, my nephew was at the game last night, while Liberty Media was on their high horse about not offending anyone, they were still selling CHOP ON t-shirts. See not even about being respectful, it's all about the $$ and imagine.

sdogg likes this

Just now, BamaBirdLady said:

So where does it stop? I am Irish and could say the Fighting Irish offends my heritage because the Irish are know to fight about anything and everything.

Given that the Irish were once persecuted in the same way that South American and Middle Eastern immigrants are right now, that would be perfectly reasonable if their logo or mascot were offensive.

So, the answer is that it stops whenever something bad is happening, same as anything else in life. "We shouldn't stop it because then this group and that group might..." is never a reasonable argument. Life is a matter of problem-solving. We face each problem as we face it. Right now, the Atlanta organization has a problem that they just temporarily tried to address by a half-measure. We need a full measure.

4 minutes ago, jidady said:

Given that the Irish were once persecuted in the same way that South American and Middle Eastern immigrants are right now, that would be perfectly reasonable if their logo or mascot were offensive.

So, the answer is that it stops whenever something bad is happening, same as anything else in life. "We shouldn't stop it because then this group and that group might..." is never a reasonable argument. Life is a matter of problem-solving. We face each problem as we face it. Right now, the Atlanta organization has a problem that they just temporarily tried to address by a half-measure. We need a full measure.

The differnce for me being Irish, I don't see them using our heritage a as mascot in an insulting way. By calling them the Fighting Irish, they are celebrating the stuffness of the Irish people to have survived the many hardships they endured.  Now, what else are the Irish know for, a bunch of drunks. If they decided to call themselves the Drunken Irish, I might be offended. That is not a celebration of my heritage, but an insult.

You don't see a team mascot as the slugg, how about the Spanish Inquistioniors, or the Fighting Taliban. No, mascots celebrate and honor the good in the heritage of a people or the an animal, like a tiger, bulldog, elephant, not a worm.

If you want to see hate and insult you will find every day in your life. However, if you want to see the good in people,places and things you can do that too. Glass full or empty, it is your choice.

5 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

That is not a celebration of my heritage, but an insult.

And that's how many Native Americans feel about the Chop. So, you've just explained in your own words why we should stop.