Stray Dog THA GAWD

Falcons' Dan Quinn has no plans to give up play-calling

52 posts in this topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001064090/article/falcons-quinn-has-no-plans-to-give-up-playcalling-duty

Dan Quinn took over the defensive play-calling this season in hopes of turning around a D that was softer than dryer lint.

It has not gone well.

The Atlanta Falcons' defense once again remains among the worst units in the league, unable to slow, let alone stop, opponents from scoring. Despite firing his DC in the offseason and taking over play-calling, Atlanta ranks tied for last in the NFL in sacks, 31st in points allowed, 30th in third-down percentage given up, and 23rd in total yards allowed through their 1-4 start to the season.

There are times, like Sunday's blowout loss to Houston, in which Matt Ryan and the offense put up points to keep a game close, only to watch the defense let the opponent go right down and score again. It must be a frustrating predicament for the offense.

Even with the defensive struggles, Quinn has no plans to hand over play-calling.

"My job is to fix it," Quinn said this week, via ESPN's Vaughn McClure. "Moments like this are a reminder of why we coach and play, because we love it so much. But my ego would never be as big as the team. I always do what's best for the team. ... If I felt [giving up the play-calling] was best, trust me, I would have certainly done that. I know what we can do, we can do better. So that's kind of where my mind is.

"I recognize the question, for sure, when you're not achieving the results you have. But trust me on that one: My ego is never as big as the team. I will always do what's best for that. But at this time, I don't think that's where I'm at."

It's no surprise the coach wouldn't cede play-calling. If Quinn is going down with the ship, he's going down on his terms.

Once again, injuries have damaged some of the coach's plans entering the season, but the lack of depth, a nonexistent pass rush, and a defensive middle that gets gashed so bad it needs about 10,000 stitches, would stick out even if everyone were healthy. Too often Quinn's players are either out of position to make a play or get treated like a rag-doll, tossed aside for an easy big gain.

These are the same problems that have plagued Quinn's entire tenure in Atlanta. Since Quinn became head coach in 2015, the Falcons rank last in the NFL in third-down percentage allowed (43.9), last in opponent's red zone percentage (64.5), 29th in sacks (134) and 28th in takeaways (84). The Falcons' failures, including their 1-4 start to this season, can mostly be blamed on Quinn's D: Of the six teams who have averaged 25.0 or more points per game since 2015, Atlanta's .536 win percentage is the lowest, per NFL Research. The other five: Patriots (.797), Chiefs (.710), Steelers (.645), Saints (.609), and Panthers (.609).

No, it's not a surprise that Quinn won't give up play-calling. If his team doesn't turn it around in a hurry, however, he'll likely be giving up much more than that come January.

7 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001064090/article/falcons-quinn-has-no-plans-to-give-up-playcalling-duty

Dan Quinn took over the defensive play-calling this season in hopes of turning around a D that was softer than dryer lint.

It has not gone well.

The Atlanta Falcons' defense once again remains among the worst units in the league, unable to slow, let alone stop, opponents from scoring. Despite firing his DC in the offseason and taking over play-calling, Atlanta ranks tied for last in the NFL in sacks, 31st in points allowed, 30th in third-down percentage given up, and 23rd in total yards allowed through their 1-4 start to the season.

There are times, like Sunday's blowout loss to Houston, in which Matt Ryan and the offense put up points to keep a game close, only to watch the defense let the opponent go right down and score again. It must be a frustrating predicament for the offense.

Even with the defensive struggles, Quinn has no plans to hand over play-calling.

"My job is to fix it," Quinn said this week, via ESPN's Vaughn McClure. "Moments like this are a reminder of why we coach and play, because we love it so much. But my ego would never be as big as the team. I always do what's best for the team. ... If I felt [giving up the play-calling] was best, trust me, I would have certainly done that. I know what we can do, we can do better. So that's kind of where my mind is.

"I recognize the question, for sure, when you're not achieving the results you have. But trust me on that one: My ego is never as big as the team. I will always do what's best for that. But at this time, I don't think that's where I'm at."

It's no surprise the coach wouldn't cede play-calling. If Quinn is going down with the ship, he's going down on his terms.

Once again, injuries have damaged some of the coach's plans entering the season, but the lack of depth, a nonexistent pass rush, and a defensive middle that gets gashed so bad it needs about 10,000 stitches, would stick out even if everyone were healthy. Too often Quinn's players are either out of position to make a play or get treated like a rag-doll, tossed aside for an easy big gain.

These are the same problems that have plagued Quinn's entire tenure in Atlanta. Since Quinn became head coach in 2015, the Falcons rank last in the NFL in third-down percentage allowed (43.9), last in opponent's red zone percentage (64.5), 29th in sacks (134) and 28th in takeaways (84). The Falcons' failures, including their 1-4 start to this season, can mostly be blamed on Quinn's D: Of the six teams who have averaged 25.0 or more points per game since 2015, Atlanta's .536 win percentage is the lowest, per NFL Research. The other five: Patriots (.797), Chiefs (.710), Steelers (.645), Saints (.609), and Panthers (.609).

No, it's not a surprise that Quinn won't give up play-calling. If his team doesn't turn it around in a hurry, however, he'll likely be giving up much more than that come January.

Funny he says that but his ego is why we are in this mess now

I'm not sure what he can teach in a week that will fix these issues. How long have we been talking about tackling ?? He just now decides to make changes ?? 

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Once he fired Manuel who was his protégée, there was no going back.

This is his mess. Don’t look for someone to pass the buck to now.

Who are you intrigued with to replace him as HC?

Not really trying to defend Quinn, because this has been a disaster.  But this is a bull**** question.  Who would he give up the defensive play calling duties to?  He got rid of anybody that was halfway qualified to do it.  Even if he had somebody to transition them to, he'd be a coward for running at the first sign of adversity.

The better question is, what is Quinn doing to make sure he improves and calls a better game?  Coaching players goes without saying, you should be doing that whether you are winning or losing.  When your guys are getting exposed this badly, you need to look at what you are doing wrong first.

Dr Long Shot, Emmitt, JDaveG and 1 other like this

5 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Not really trying to defend Quinn, because this has been a disaster.  But this is a bull**** question.  Who would he give up the defensive play calling duties to?  He got rid of anybody that was halfway qualified to do it.  Even if he had somebody to transition them to, he'd be a coward for running at the first sign of adversity.

The better question is, what is Quinn doing to make sure he improves and calls a better game?  Coaching players goes without saying, you should be doing that whether you are winning or losing.  When your guys are getting exposed this badly, you need to look at what you are doing wrong first.

What should he do ?? Takk and Beasley are butt cheeks this season and the secondary is awful. Theres no pass rush and we cant cover anyone 

sdogg likes this

He's done, doesn't matter at this point. Whatever gets us a top 5 draft pick is probably the only decent thing we can hope for this season.

This tells me how out of touch Quinn really is , this is the reason that he keeps using Freeman more than Ito. He is going on heart and emotion instead of thinking smh , he really wants to give Freeman more touches smh. I just dont think the connection is there between Freeman, Ito and Quinn that there was between Free, Cole, and DQ.

Edited by caponine
Romfal likes this

18 minutes ago, pzummo said:

There actually are a few guys he could hand the play calling over to.....the first name that pops up is Bob Sutton..he is more than qualified to run the defense.

But as annoying as it is....The fact that he is willing to go down with the ship is admirable....even if foolish.

He really looks like he doesn't feel well. Like he has health issues. Go back and look at pics of DQ when he first got here. He looks sharp, like he is on point. But now to me he looks detached, sometimes loss. When he says things like " Embrace the suck"  After one of the most embarrassing losses in NFL history. And "We are alright like we are." It makes me wonder if he is healthy. Seems like he is trying to convince himself. I sure hope he catches a breath of fresh air and insight. Find the strength and wisdom to turn this thing around.. I do hope he makes it. Do some soul searching, be open for some change. Come on DQ RISE UP!

30 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Dan, is that you?

It doesn't matter at this point, let Quinn finish out the year and get his papers. He was just a younger Mike Smith, a position coach we took a chance on and it didn't work out. Let's ride it out this year and at years end clean house from McKay on down in the front office and all coaches. Let Blank pick the next head coach and GM, he needs to quit taking McKays advice since it clearly didn't work with Dimitroff or Quinn. Falcons need complete cleanse front office and coaching wise, and then new coach and GM are going to have to flip the whole roster because our current roster is not all that.

Flying Falcon likes this

4 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

It doesn't matter at this point, let Quinn finish out the year and get his papers. He was just a younger Mike Smith, a position coach we took a chance on and it didn't work out. Let's ride it out this year and at years end clean house from McKay on down in the front office and all coaches. Let Blank pick the next head coach and GM, he needs to quit taking McKays advice since it clearly didn't work with Dimitroff or Quinn. Falcons need complete cleanse front office and coaching wise, and then new coach and GM are going to have to flip the whole roster because our current roster is not all that.

I like McKay tho. Keep him.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

Blank needs to get their next Team President/GM from Indianapolis that is a well built roster. Too bad we let Les Snead go to Rams he would have been ideal Team President/GM too. Falcons Team President and GM and vision are dated. We keep drafting smaller backs trying to find the next Warrick Dunn, these picks reek of McKay. It is not 2000 anymore, NFL has changed,  we need new vision new leadership from up top. Clean slate 2020.

9 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Let Blank pick the next head coach and GM, he needs to quit taking McKays advice since it clearly didn't work with Dimitroff or Quinn.

I'd say let Blank pick the next GM and let the GM (hopefully a proven NFL man) pick the next head coach. If Blank picks the next head coach...well, we'll all probably be having this discussion again within five years.   Oy.  

Flying Falcon likes this

FF I liked McKay he was good 10 years ago but his vision is dated. He has no grasp on current NFL team, look how similar our roster is to the old Bucs teams. One good d linemen, fast small sized LBs,  Warrick Dunn sized running backs, banking a whole draft on Julio like McKay did with Keyshawn. The NFL has changed and Falcons need to change with it. McKay while a nice guy is a dinosaur. Time for a complete rebuild up top the vision is dayed.

Flying Falcon likes this

If he gives up play calling he is digging his own grave even faster ... the whole reason he’s the DC now is because he is on his last straw if he is giving up play calling then WT* is he even here for at this point

Vandy and Emmitt like this

19 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

If he gives up play calling he is digging his own grave even faster ... the whole reason he’s the DC now is because he is on his last straw if he is giving up play calling then WT* is he even here for at this point

You're right Julio. Will you catch more than 2 TDs this weekend?

1 hour ago, Gold4425 said:

He really looks like he doesn't feel well. Like he has health issues. Go back and look at pics of DQ when he first got here. He looks sharp, like he is on point. But now to me he looks detached, sometimes loss. When he says things like " Embrace the suck"  After one of the most embarrassing losses in NFL history. And "We are alright like we are." It makes me wonder if he is healthy. Seems like he is trying to convince himself. I sure hope he catches a breath of fresh air and insight. Find the strength and wisdom to turn this thing around.. I do hope he makes it. Do some soul searching, be open for some change. Come on DQ RISE UP!

Imagine how you would feel if you realize you are completely inept at doing the job you were hired to do and the only thing you have to look forward to every week is having your utter and complete lack of capacity exposed for the entire world to point to and laugh at. How do you even face your players? He's a defensive line coach, period. It's evident he has no idea about how to run a defense and much less how to run a whole team. His entire DC experience is coaching the Seattle defense full of future hall of Famers, so the only recourse he has with us is to try to imitate it. Unfortunately, that's not going to cut it because our pieces are nothing like Seattle's pieces. Our CBs are man corners not zone corners and our DEs don't have linebacker or coverage skills, yet he stubbornly continues to try to fit square pegs into round holes because he has no experience whatsoever at coaching anything else. He is the anti-Shanahan and the truth is that his lack of ability has been on full display since the epic collapse we had during his first season coaching. In fact, the entire tenure of Dan Quinn has been setting up one major collapse after another. 

Refried Beans likes this

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

I'd say let Blank pick the next GM and let the GM (hopefully a proven NFL man) pick the next head coach. If Blank picks the next head coach...well, we'll all probably be having this discussion again within five years.   Oy.  

Quinn was universally applauded in here and outside as a great hire. Can’t blame blank for that one. 

Ergo Proxy and Flying Falcon like this