Miami to DC Via ATL, the defense has arrived in ATL.

falcons007

Historically worst defense tour started in MIA and it has arrived in ATL en route to DC. Here are per Drive stats. 

Points per Drive: pts(rank)

Miami : 3.63 (32).  ATL: 3.04 (31) Was: 2.63(30)

Yards/Drive: 

Miami: 45.54 (32). ATL : 39.90(31). WAS: 38:00 (29).

Time of possession / Drive 

Miami: 3:31(32) WAS: 3:13 (31) ATL: 3:11(30)

Drive Success Rate Allowed: 

Miami: 0.833(32). ATL :0.797 (31), WAS: 0.767(30). 

I am not gonna waste time with more stats, this D is in bottom 3 in pretty much everything along with Miami. 

Let's blame the offense for the 1-4 record, Defense has arrived in ATL.  

18 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The fact that anything about this 2019 team is comparable to possibly the worst team of all time is ******* tragic. 

At least Miami has had a pretty tough defensive schedule though. Ours has been a relative cake-walk with teams like Minnesota, Tennesse, Indianapolis, Philly and Houston who all struggled offensively outside of the game they played us. 

11 minutes ago, high impact said:

The sad thing is Miami is doing everything they can to lose. The Falcons are supposedly trying to win. Then you see we are hanging just above the tankers while playing to win. Let that sink in and try and tell me the Falcons are better than the Dolphins.  

Yep. What was considered biggest upgrade in DC from last year is not looking good. One can hope a miracle and turn around like Broncos did in 2012 after starting 0-4. 

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

On the Falcons.com front page, there's the article "thoughts on how Falcons can turn it around, relying more on the offense.etc"

Really?? Relying more on the offense? LMFAO

I guess they literally took what Ryan said in the press conference. You know Ryan, he won’t blame the D. He said we need to keep scoring every time and not leave any plays.

Man, I hate to say I told you so but....

This defense has never been in the top half of the league. People wanted to believe the 2017 group was a top ten unit. DQ bought it himself and is now paying for it. They didn't do much to upgrade that unit. They were a protected unit that didn't face a lot of drives and it wasn't a result of them causing turnovers and getting off the field. It was because the offense kept putting together long, clock chewing drives. In 2017, the Falcons offense, under Steve Sarkisian, was #1 in time of possession per drive and #2 in plays run per drive and #2 in yards per drive. They were a very sustainable unit that just had some bad luck in the scoring department. Meanwhile, the 2017 defense was #20 in yards allowed per drive, #32 in plays ran against them per drive, and #31 in time of possession per drive. Basically, the offense was sustaining drives but the defense was doing absolutely nothing to capitalize on that. It shortened games, which put the pressure on the offense to constantly score, which is why people blamed the 2017 season on the offense not being able to score points. They were #7 in points scored per drive in 2017. 

I wrote a whole thread detailing this. A normal, run of the mill citizen with no NFL experience. Yet, because Atlanta has been salivating for a top ten unit for decades, they thought they had one. Now, because they have been relying on mediocre players for years, the NFL has caught up and is exposing them left and right. 

14 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

It's incredulous to me that some can't see that Quinn has no idea what he's doing. Even more so that people drawing huge paychecks from this team can't see it.

The team CAN see it. That's why you have guys out there "freestyling" plays. They're taking advantage of the ignorance of DQ by blowing whatever assignments he calls. Kinda like a QB changing EVERY play the OC sends in.

56 minutes ago, vel said:

This defense has never been in the top half of the league. People wanted to believe the 2017 group was a top ten unit. DQ bought it himself and is now paying for it. They didn't do much to upgrade that unit. They were a protected unit that didn't face a lot of drives and it wasn't a result of them causing turnovers and getting off the field. It was because the offense kept putting together long, clock chewing drives. In 2017, the Falcons offense, under Steve Sarkisian, was #1 in time of possession per drive and #2 in plays run per drive and #2 in yards per drive. They were a very sustainable unit that just had some bad luck in the scoring department. Meanwhile, the 2017 defense was #20 in yards allowed per drive, #32 in plays ran against them per drive, and #31 in time of possession per drive. Basically, the offense was sustaining drives but the defense was doing absolutely nothing to capitalize on that. It shortened games, which put the pressure on the offense to constantly score, which is why people blamed the 2017 season on the offense not being able to score points. They were #7 in points scored per drive in 2017. 

I wrote a whole thread detailing this. A normal, run of the mill citizen with no NFL experience. Yet, because Atlanta has been salivating for a top ten unit for decades, they thought they had one. Now, because they have been relying on mediocre players for years, the NFL has caught up and is exposing them left and right. 

Ding Ding Ding!

1 hour ago, vel said:

Even when Mike Smith was here it was the same thing offense tried to eat the clock so the defense was not on the field as much. Then when they were the same thing happened. 

Just now, high impact said:

Even when Mike Smith was here it was the same thing offense tried to eat the clock so the defense was not on the field as much. Then when they were the same thing happened. 

Yep. It's a protection system. I kept saying fewer drives benefits the defense and hurts the offense. The less a defense is on the field, the less opportunity to give up yards and points. It's exposure. You can't be exposed if you're on the bench. But any moment the offense stumbles, the defense is incapable of stepping up and people blame the offense instead of the consistently inept defense. 

Yeah and if you go and look at all those points per drive stats, and Time of possession of drive, yds, etc, for 2017, the mythical top 10 defense, they are in the bottom half of the league in all those.

They kept big plays from happening but couldn't get off the field.

Oh I didn't see the above posts from @vel @high impact and others saying this.

Edited by jeffro2000

20 minutes ago, high impact said:

That’s not a unique concept. NE got by doing exactly that for nearly a decade. 

Their D looks elite this year though....

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

That’s not a unique concept. NE got by doing exactly that for nearly a decade. 

Their D looks elite this year though....

I feel like NE finds a way to make their D work. Usually in the form of turnovers. Often elite overall, but when they have struggled they still make plays. The Falcons D is terrible at stopping anything and very rarely create turnovers. 

4 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I feel like NE finds a way to make their D work. Usually in the form of turnovers. Often elite overall, but when they have struggled they still make plays. The Falcons D is terrible at stopping anything and very rarely create turnovers. 

I agree on NE nuck, and many of smitty’s Defenses were similar...creating turnovers, avoiding costly penalties and not giving up big plays. 

I’ve been on quinn’s case for more than a year, but even I’m shocked how poorly coached this defense is. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

Yep. You have been saying it for 2 years. 

29 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I agree on NE nuck, and many of smitty’s Defenses were similar...creating turnovers, avoiding costly penalties and not giving up big plays. 

I’ve been on quinn’s case for more than a year, but even I’m shocked how poorly coached this defense is. 

I think Smitty’s defense broke the record for most consecutive games with TO. I will take the 2010 and 2012 regular season defense in a heart beat.