2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Braves president Mike Plant was on a Liberty Media stream to investors. He told them the Braves are set up to win now and that "they're going for it." He added the plan is to compliment the core youth

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Atlanta Sports Fan.

And I want Jeff Bezos to give me half his checking account. 

Posted Images

Braves, for signing Will Smith and Marcell Ozuna: The dual signings put Atlanta in line for a dual penalty.  The Braves didn’t exceed the luxury tax threshold and also didn’t receive revenue-sharing money, so they gave up their second-highest draft pick (their second-rounder) and $500K of international bonus money for Smith.  In landing Ozuna, the Braves then had to also forfeit their third-round pick (their third-highest selection) and another $500K from their international bonus pool.

Losing two draft picks and $1MM in international pool money isn’t nothing, though these particular sanctions had less impact on the Braves than on other teams, which undoubtedly influenced their decisions.  First of all, the compensatory pick Atlanta received for Donaldson is higher in the draft order than their third-round pick, so the net loss is only a second-round pick.  Secondly, the Braves’ movement in the international market is still limited by the punishment handed out by Major League Baseball in November 2017 for Atlanta’s past international signing violations.  Part of that punishment included the Braves’ pool for the 2020-21 international market being reduced by 50 percent — being so handcuffed in the international market anyway, the Braves probably felt $1MM in pool money was no great loss.

i don’t think Ozzie would develop any bad habits hitting 4th. In today’s game I don’t think batting position matters as much as it use to. I’d like to see how this order would do. 

Acuna

Freddie

Ozuna

Albies

Dansby

Camrgo / Riley

Ender

Catcher 

Pitcher

4 hours ago, Malachore said:

He fell into the habit of thinking he needed to hit homers every at bat just a couple years ago after his big 1st half.

That wasn't his problem. He lost his LH mechanics after playing through a calf injury. 

14 hours ago, brdu4 said:

i don’t think Ozzie would develop any bad habits hitting 4th. In today’s game I don’t think batting position matters as much as it use to. I’d like to see how this order would do. 

Acuna

Freddie

Ozuna

Albies

Dansby

Camrgo / Riley

Ender

Catcher 

Pitcher

Am I missing something? Where is Markakis?

1 hour ago, wartownfalcon said:

Why where he belongs? Markakis has been a better hitter than Ender the last couple of years. Yes Ender is one of the top CFs in the league, but they both have their trade offs

To do that means to put Acuna at center...they dont want him there...he needs to be in right..Ozuna in left...That makes Markakis the 4th of..

1 hour ago, wartownfalcon said:

Why where he belongs? Markakis has been a better hitter than Ender the last couple of years. Yes Ender is one of the top CFs in the league, but they both have their trade offs

fWAR, last 3 seasons:

Inciarte 6.6
Markakis 3.6

The trade-off on defense is far bigger than the bump in offense you get with Markakis. 

7 hours ago, K26dp said:

fWAR, last 3 seasons:

Inciarte 6.6
Markakis 3.6

The trade-off on defense is far bigger than the bump in offense you get with Markakis. 

Ender played in roughly half the games as Markakis and accumulated a 0.6 bWAR compared to Nick’s 0.8 bWAR. Not to mention the OPS+ of 89 vs 98, respectively, with Ender’s dragged down significantly by the first half (146 OPS+ in 90 2nd half PAs).

On 1/27/2020 at 0:38 PM, ATLBrave said:

Ender played in roughly half the games as Markakis and accumulated a 0.6 bWAR compared to Nick’s 0.8 bWAR. Not to mention the OPS+ of 89 vs 98, respectively, with Ender’s dragged down significantly by the first half (146 OPS+ in 90 2nd half PAs).

So easy to hate on Ender and Riley right now. Fans would sell low and buy high right out of contention if armchairs ruled the sporting world.

I’m gonna assume the cost of 1yr of betts is lower than for 2yrs of Bryant...so I’m on board for a trade for betts. Put him in center and the lineup goes like this

acuna

albies 

free

betts

ozuna

swanson

camargo/riley

darnaud

lethal. And still above average defense. Waters and Pache, free agency to replace ozuna and betts in a year. And plenty of $ to reup free

Edited by Augustadawgchop

In the above betts deal, plenty of options to knock down the $ if that’s an issue (even though at least some reports have said we were. Thinking about signing jd and ozuna)...gives us the best 1-5 in mlb and keeps commitment low as is aa’s trend...Boston will probably want more than we give up but if we jump in, the worst that happens is we drive up the market and cause LA, SD some extra prospect capital. I see no way atl isn’t the favorite for the NL in this scenario. Between Greene and ender...about 13m we could trade to clear $...though I’d rather liberty show some balls and take the payroll to the 175 ish mark in this deal and only trade away at the break for prospects