Jump to content

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Braves president Mike Plant was on a Liberty Media stream to investors. He told them the Braves are set up to win now and that "they're going for it." He added the plan is to compliment the core youth

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Atlanta Sports Fan.

And I want Jeff Bezos to give me half his checking account. 

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Meaning it's not so much years, its money. He wants what gives him the most money. If Atlanta comes through on money for 3 years he will accept it over a similar 4 year. The speculation had been a 4th year might seal it.

Yeah but no team in their right mind is going to pay anyone near the same money and let them off a year early.

3/75

4/85

AA isn't stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Ken Rosenthal indicated that Donaldson still prefers to remain in Atlanta if all deals are similar. He will pick Atlanta as long as they make a competitive offer. That said, Ken says Donaldson is looking for the largest paycheck. Rosenthal also said the Braves are in the mix for Bryant but are concerned about his declining defense. They likely arent making him a priority target for that reason. He also said the report of Ozuna was overblown and the Braves interest there is minimal. 

Thank god.

 

Additionally, I think if we looked at Bryant, it would be to play LF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Yeah but no team in their right mind is going to pay anyone near the same money and let them off a year early.

3/75

4/85

AA isn't stupid.

75 over 3 might be what it takes. Rosenthal did mention its believed he has discussed large 3 years deal and has a choice between that or 4 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Texas has dropped out of the Donaldson market. Rangers beat writer said Texas got priced out, weren't comfortable with the bidding.

That's concerning. 

23 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

75 over 3 might be what it takes. Rosenthal did mention its believed he has discussed large 3 years deal and has a choice between that or 4 years. 

That's acceptable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

3/75 should do it ...Let's get this done...stop playing around for somebody else swoop in

I'm beginning to think that how much Donaldson likes the Braves and wants to be here is overstated. If he loved playing for the Braves as much as he says he would be signed by now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I'm beginning to think that how much Donaldson likes the Braves and wants to be here is overstated. If he loved playing for the Braves as much as he says he would be signed by now.

such a naive statement.    Always insert yourself in the player's shoes.

If you loved your job and where you worked and you were on a contract basis with multiple Fortune 500 companies bidding on your services,   you would most likely be willing to wait an extra few days and see if you could get an extra $5mm on your contract.    

Everyone wants to go where they want to go but would rather go their for 3yrs $80mm than  3yrs, $75mm - if they could get it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

such a naive statement.    Always insert yourself in the player's shoes.

If you loved your job and where you worked and you were on a contract basis with multiple Fortune 500 companies bidding on your services,   you would most likely be willing to wait an extra few days and see if you could get an extra $5mm on your contract.    

Everyone wants to go where they want to go but would rather go their for 3yrs $80mm than  3yrs, $75mm - if they could get it.

I don't consider it a naive statement, just a realistic statement. Donaldson is clearly holding out to get every last dollar he can get. That's his right as a free agent so I've got no problem with it. If the Braves offer was anywhere close to the offers Donaldson has from other teams and he wanted to stay with the Braves he would be signed by now. It's clear that his love affair and desire to stay with the Braves is overstated or that the Braves offer isn't anywhere near the offers from other teams. One of those two statements is true, we just don't know which one. It's not naive, it's realistic to draw this conclusion based on the information available to us.

Speaking personally, if I had two job offers on the table for and one was 3/$75M and the other was 3/$80M and the lesser one was from my current job where I was happy and knew I was successful then I would be more inclined to take it versus the unknown of the other job and the environment there and if I could be as successful there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I don't consider it a naive statement, just a realistic statement. Donaldson is clearly holding out to get every last dollar he can get. That's his right as a free agent so I've got no problem with it. If the Braves offer was anywhere close to the offers Donaldson has from other teams and he wanted to stay with the Braves he would be signed by now. It's clear that his love affair and desire to stay with the Braves is overstated or that the Braves offer isn't anywhere near the offers from other teams. One of those two statements is true, we just don't know which one. It's not naive, it's realistic to draw this conclusion based on the information available to us.

Speaking personally, if I had two job offers on the table for and one was 3/$75M and the other was 3/$80M and the lesser one was from my current job where I was happy and knew I was successful then I would be more inclined to take it versus the unknown of the other job and the environment there and if I could be as successful there.

everyone has a different sliding scale on money and team preference.    "love affair" - whoever said Donaldson was having a love affair w/ Braves? - he liked his time here and likes his teammates - this will be his LAST big contract and could be his last contract overall.   Baseball and professional sports isn't like other careers where you can do them into your late 60's.   This is HIS CHANCE to get what he can for himself and his family.

I hope we keep Josh and like the player - if he can get $10mm more or an extra year somewhere else - won't blame him a bit for doing so and I don't think that means he doesn't prefer the other team more but he is making a business decision - good for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

everyone has a different sliding scale on money and team preference.    "love affair" - whoever said Donaldson was having a love affair w/ Braves? - he liked his time here and likes his teammates - this will be his LAST big contract and could be his last contract overall.   Baseball and professional sports isn't like other careers where you can do them into your late 60's.   This is HIS CHANCE to get what he can for himself and his family.

I hope we keep Josh and like the player - if he can get $10mm more or an extra year somewhere else - won't blame him a bit for doing so and I don't think that means he doesn't prefer the other team more but he is making a business decision - good for him.

I'm just fully prepared for Donaldson to be playing for some team other than the Braves in 2020 either because Donaldson doesn't want to be here enough to take less money or the Braves offer isn't competitive compared to the offers he's getting from other teams. Like I said, I've got no personal beef with Donaldson, he's doing what he believes is best for him and his family and I don't blame him at all for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I'm beginning to think that how much Donaldson likes the Braves and wants to be here is overstated. If he loved playing for the Braves as much as he says he would be signed by now.

I enjoyed the company I was working with, it's why I selected them but then another company came along and offered me a $20,000/yr raise.  I suddenly liked them better...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, capologist said:

I enjoyed the company I was working with, it's why I selected them but then another company came along and offered me a $20,000/yr raise.  I suddenly liked them better...

Like I said before, for me personally with my personality, I'd much rather stay in a situation where I'm comfortable versus the unknown of going to a different situation that might turn out to not be as comfortable. That's just me speaking about my personality, comfort level is a big deal for me. Also, what you speak of and a 20,000 a year difference in salary is major and makes a big big difference in the quality of live for you and your family. $5M when talking about $75M or $80M doesn't make quite the same amount of difference to a professional athlete. At least I wouldn't think so when they can throw around $20,000 like it's nothing when to you and me $20,000 is major.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Like I said before, for me personally with my personality, I'd much rather stay in a situation where I'm comfortable versus the unknown of going to a different situation that might turn out to not be as comfortable. That's just me speaking about my personality, comfort level is a big deal for me. Also, what you speak of and a 20,000 a year difference in salary is major and makes a big big difference in the quality of live for you and your family. $5M when talking about $75M or $80M doesn't make quite the same amount of difference to a professional athlete. At least I wouldn't think so when they can throw around $20,000 like it's nothing when to you and me $20,000 is major.

I don't know.  I imagine when you consider taxes, agent fees, etc. it adds up.  I can't fathom those kind of numbers though...lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...