2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Braves president Mike Plant was on a Liberty Media stream to investors. He told them the Braves are set up to win now and that "they're going for it." He added the plan is to compliment the core youth

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Atlanta Sports Fan.

And I want Jeff Bezos to give me half his checking account. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I wouldn't consider Dan Uggla a superstar player.

He was the first 2B in MLB history to hit 30 homers in four straight seasons at the time of the trade. He was a two-time All-Star and Silver Slugger, too It blew up on us, but he was a star when we got him.

The argument is whether McLouth qualifies.

22 minutes ago, jidady said:

He was the first 2B in MLB history to hit 30 homers in four straight seasons at the time of the trade. He was a two-time All-Star and Silver Slugger, too It blew up on us, but he was a star when we got him.

The argument is whether McLouth qualifies.

Don't get me wrong, he was a really good player when the Braves got him, but I wouldn't classify him as a superstar. I believe superstar gets thrown around too loosely like the word great when it should be reserved for the truly elite players like a Mike Trout or a Nolan Arenado. Dan Uggla was never among the elites of baseball in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Braves still in the mix but the newest word is Texas and the Dodgers are the frontrunners for Donaldson. That 4th year is said to be the key right now. Some think the bidding could be around 4 years $90-100M. 

What are your thoughts on Riley if Donaldson is signed? If we sign Donaldson 4 years it really hurts the prospect that Riley ever plays 3rd here, wouldn't you think? I know not 100%, but the % really drops. 

Never had a chance at Rendon.

Doesn't look like JD is coming back. 

Things about to get real sweaty around here soon. With the players available at 3rd this offseason it really will be a disappointment if the hole isn't filled. I don't believe AA put all that into pitching just to do nothing with the offense. At least I hope he didn't. 

14 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Never had a chance at Rendon.

Doesn't look like JD is coming back. 

Things about to get real sweaty around here soon. With the players available at 3rd this offseason it really will be a disappointment if the hole isn't filled. I don't believe AA put all that into pitching just to do nothing with the offense. At least I hope he didn't. 

Seems a lot of smoke around Braves and Kris Bryant.  Guessing that picks up if JD goes by the wayside.

Personally not a fan of giving a great package of prospects for only two years of Bryant- who wouldn’t sign extension with Cubs.

15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Seems a lot of smoke around Braves and Kris Bryant.  Guessing that picks up if JD goes by the wayside.

Personally not a fan of giving a great package of prospects for only two years of Bryant- who wouldn’t sign extension with Cubs.

I don't trust prospects. I'm not tor giving them away in an obvious bad deal but you can't get something for nothing and 2 years of Bryant is worth something. 

28 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

What are your thoughts on Riley if Donaldson is signed? If we sign Donaldson 4 years it really hurts the prospect that Riley ever plays 3rd here, wouldn't you think? I know not 100%, but the % really drops. 

Once Riley gets going at AAA again he'll be here but I think AA's plan is to use him in LF if he can keep Donaldson. 

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I don't trust prospects. I'm not tor giving them away in an obvious bad deal but you can't get something for nothing and 2 years of Bryant is worth something. 

I don’t disagree and you are right in that it’s worth something.   Not Ian Anderson, Bryce Wilson and Christian Pache’.

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

The farm system has a pitcher log jam and the Cubs are primarily looking for pitching prospects. That's the kind of trade we can absorb pretty easily.

40 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

The farm system has a pitcher log jam and the Cubs are primarily looking for pitching prospects. That's the kind of trade we can absorb pretty easily.

What’s the package - 2arms/1bat - that you would give up that might be acceptable to Cubs?

Who would the bat be?  Riley, Pache’ or Waters?  Which one?

Who would the arms be?

Ken Rosenthal indicated that Donaldson still prefers to remain in Atlanta if all deals are similar. He will pick Atlanta as long as they make a competitive offer. That said, Ken says Donaldson is looking for the largest paycheck. Rosenthal also said the Braves are in the mix for Bryant but are concerned about his declining defense. They likely arent making him a priority target for that reason. He also said the report of Ozuna was overblown and the Braves interest there is minimal. 

3 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Ken Rosenthal indicated that Donaldson still prefers to remain in Atlanta if all deals are similar. He will pick Atlanta as long as they make a competitive offer. That said, Ken says Donaldson is looking for the largest paycheck. Rosenthal also said the Braves are in the mix for Bryant but are concerned about his declining defense. They likely arent making him a priority target for that reason. He also said the report of Ozuna was overblown and the Braves interest there is minimal. 

This is contradictory. 

28 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

What’s the package - 2arms/1bat - that you would give up that might be acceptable to Cubs?

Who would the bat be?  Riley, Pache’ or Waters?  Which one?

Who would the arms be?

"Two arms and one bat" is sort of vague because I don't know what kind of bat they're targeting. A cheap replacement for Bryant? Then Riley. Someone to be their CF of the future? Then Waters. I would take Pache off the table though. He (and Anderson) would only be worth packaging in a deal for MVP caliber, dirt cheap players like Matt Chapman imo.

My assumption is they'd prefer Waters, just because teams always seem to think far less of prospects the moment they reach they play in the Majors which would hurt Riley's value. So I'd let them pick between Wright, Wilson, Weigel, and Muller and then one of the low-A prospects. If they want a Major League arm instead (again, vague) then throw in Newcomb instead of one of the prominent pitching prospects.

This is, of course, assuming Bryant has two years of control left.