2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

14 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I dont like it...they will command about the same money....and Donaldson already is a clubhouse and fan favorite...

If we get Ozuna...that means Riley at 3rd right??

If that was the only move we made im guessing Camargo at 3rd. Riley is starting the season in the minors according to AA

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Braves president Mike Plant was on a Liberty Media stream to investors. He told them the Braves are set up to win now and that "they're going for it." He added the plan is to compliment the core youth

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Atlanta Sports Fan.

And I want Jeff Bezos to give me half his checking account. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

How about just pursuing Donaldson with all wevte got? So tired of us settling for crap. Go get what we want!

Dude is already 34. We are pursuing him but giving an often injured 34 year old a 4 year deal is a great way to screw us in the long run. AA is building a team that will succeed for years to come. Not just for one season.

2 hours ago, LouDog said:

Dude is already 34. We are pursuing him but giving an often injured 34 year old a 4 year deal is a great way to screw us in the long run. AA is building a team that will succeed for years to come. Not just for one season.

Agreed  - if you give a 34yr old a 4yr deal at high dollar you are asking for trouble.

12 hours ago, LouDog said:

So maybe 1 year of Todd Frazier would make sense. Or if the Dodgers sign Rendon, then that would make Justin Turner available for trade.  One year of Frazier or Turner while Riley continues to develop and make adjustments at AAA.

Edited by The Kingfish
50 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

If you're doing that, you might as well go all-in on Rendon. 

Agreed.  If I have to give Josh Donaldson 4yrs, $100mm to a 34yr old oft-injured,  believe I would rather just give 29yr old Anthony Rendon 7yrs and $220mm - better, younger player who will be in his prime for larger percentage of the contract.

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Agreed.  If I have to give Josh Donaldson 4yrs, $100mm to a 34yr old oft-injured,  believe I would rather just give 29yr old Anthony Rendon 7yrs and $220mm - better, younger player who will be in his prime for larger percentage of the contract.

We need to go all-in for Rendon, that would put this team over the top majorly.

14 hours ago, Malachore said:

LOL Ozuna will cost as much as Donaldson so why let him walk?

I feel like Donaldson leaves because 3 years is the max AA wants to give him.

I don't like it. I believe the Braves should bite the bullet on the 4th year just to get him back for the next 3. It would be one of those deals where I believe it would be worth it.

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

If you're doing that, you might as well go all-in on Rendon. 

28 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I absolutely agree. If you're so concerned about giving Josh Donaldson that 4th year, then you should go all-in on Rendon. Rendon is right in the prime of his career and would fit in perfectly with what we've already got. We could sign Rendon and then you know that for the next 5 or 6 years we're gonna be getting elite production from Rendon, Acuna, and Albies.

22 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I absolutely agree. If you're so concerned about giving Josh Donaldson that 4th year, then you should go all-in on Rendon. Rendon is right in the prime of his career and would fit in perfectly with what we've already got. We could sign Rendon and then you know that for the next 5 or 6 years we're gonna be getting elite production from Rendon, Acuna, and Albies.

Freeman says “what about me?”

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Freeman says “what about me?”

The only reason I didn't mention Freeman in that group is because he's only got two years left on his deal and we don't know if he will be around after 2021. Personally, that's another consideration that should be made about giving Donaldson that 4th year or not. Do you go all in on Donaldson and bite the bullet on that 4th year to assure yourself of giving your team the best chance to win a WS within the next 2 years while it's a guarantee that Freeman is here before he could leave in free agency? I mean, I know he has talked about wanting to be like Chipper and play his whole career with the Braves but what if something unforeseen happens and say his dad gets sick? He may want to go back home to California to be close to his dad all year round. I believe things like this should be considered when thinking about the future of the Braves.

19 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I'd have to consider all my options before locking ina 4th year. I'd consider a slight bump in salary if he'll take a 4th year team option. Not ideal but with a slight bump and a reasonable buyout you would get some extra money out of it.

I wonder why players don't take vesting options anymore? If they continue to put up numbers then they earn that extra year and still get paid. They get the same amount of money they would have with a guaranteed 4 year deal.

7 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I wonder why players don't take vesting options anymore? If they continue to put up numbers then they earn that extra year and still get paid. They get the same amount of money they would have with a guaranteed 4 year deal.

Vesting options can get tricky because some teams will try to rig it so the player doesnt get so many innings or whatever that triggers it.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

I'd have to consider all my options before locking ina 4th year. I'd consider a slight bump in salary if he'll take a 4th year team option. Not ideal but with a slight bump and a reasonable buyout you would get some extra money out of it.

How about instead of a team option. Front load the payments so he makes the majority of the money in the first 2-3 years. 

Nicholas Castellanos should be in play over Marcell Ozuna. I know lots of people rag on Castellanos for his defense but he was better defensively in 2019 than Nick Markakis so I say the defensive issues are overblown for a guy who's a great hitter and hit nearly 60 doubles in 2019.

UZR - 2019
Castellanos = -5.2
Markakis = -6.0

UZR - 2019 - RF
Castellanos = -4.4
Markakis = -9.0