2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Braves president Mike Plant was on a Liberty Media stream to investors. He told them the Braves are set up to win now and that "they're going for it." He added the plan is to compliment the core youth

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Atlanta Sports Fan.

And I want Jeff Bezos to give me half his checking account. 

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Akod2017 said:

Possibly, I have a lot of faith in the youth. How many on this board will fess up to wanting Realmuto? Going into last season with McCann and Flowers was unacceptable to most fans remember? We wouldn’t have our best Pitcher or a kid who was an absolute catalyst for a month. Running away with the East would have been quite a bit more difficult without those two young guns.

I think everyone wanted JTR.

I don't think many wanted to give up Soroka and Riley for him though. We can't keep all these guys and some of these arms are losing their shine.

I get what you are saying, I just don't think not getting another bat is a winning move. AA has already Riley is starting the season in AAA and he felt the need to upgrade Camargo last Winter. idk why he would do the very thing he wanted to not do just last year.

Anthopolous would take Riley/Camargo into April at 3B if he had to. I think he would be uneasy about it and it would be the emergency fall back. I think we'll trade for an OF but we're very much in the Donaldson sweepstakes. Donaldson is the cherry on top of this free agent class. He has to also be very happy with the moves the team is making to get over the hump. He already stated his confidence in AA giving the players all they need to win a title. Donaldson is also the key to a potential OF trade. If hes here you could look at a few different types. If you miss on Donaldson you want to look for a big bat to throw in LF and hit cleanup.

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I think everyone wanted JTR.

I don't think many wanted to give up Soroka and Riley for him though. We can't keep all these guys and some of these arms are losing their shine.

I get what you are saying, I just don't think not getting another bat is a winning move. AA has already Riley is starting the season in AAA and he felt the need to upgrade Camargo last Winter. idk why he would do the very thing he wanted to not do just last year.

I honestly believe AA saw opportunity over need in regards to 3B last year. You have guys like Wheeler, Cole, Rendon, and Strasburg cashing in on big seasons. JD had the opposite, a superstar that had lost significant value due to age and injuries. The value and opportunity to hit big was worth a shot, especially with a player AA was extremely familiar with. Very few positions JD would have to play for us to not sign him last year IMO. That’s assuming gold glove defense at that position as well. Defense is key to AA.

21 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Anthopolous would take Riley/Camargo into April at 3B if he had to. I think he would be uneasy about it and it would be the emergency fall back. I think we'll trade for an OF but we're very much in the Donaldson sweepstakes. Donaldson is the cherry on top of this free agent class. He has to also be very happy with the moves the team is making to get over the hump. He already stated his confidence in AA giving the players all they need to win a title. Donaldson is also the key to a potential OF trade. If hes here you could look at a few different types. If you miss on Donaldson you want to look for a big bat to throw in LF and hit cleanup.

This Braves offseason has been an A so far if we can keep Donaldson that makes this offseason as an A+++.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

This Braves offseason has been an A so far if we can keep Donaldson that makes this offseason as an A+++.

Here's where I'm going to catch crap. This has been a great offseason so far but if we don't get JD or a power bat to replace him I think it becomes very blah. 

1 hour ago, Akod2017 said:

I honestly believe AA saw opportunity over need in regards to 3B last year. You have guys like Wheeler, Cole, Rendon, and Strasburg cashing in on big seasons. JD had the opposite, a superstar that had lost significant value due to age and injuries. The value and opportunity to hit big was worth a shot, especially with a player AA was extremely familiar with. Very few positions JD would have to play for us to not sign him last year IMO. That’s assuming gold glove defense at that position as well. Defense is key to AA.

Possibly but AA also tried to get him at the deadline when he went to CLE. I just don't think AA likes Camargo as much as some here do.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Possibly but AA also tried to get him at the deadline when he went to CLE. I just don't think AA likes Camargo as much as some here do.

I’m not as high on Camargo honestly. Riley is a different case. He’s overcome struggles at every level of the minors so I want to see him get a real shot to make adjustments. 

3 hours ago, Malachore said:

I just don't think AA likes Camargo as much as some here do.

I think that's absolutely right. Sometimes, teams know things inside the clubhouse about players that aren't readily apparent to those of us watching the games. Camargo seems to fall into that category. Whenever I think about it, I remember the Jeremy Giambi story arc from Moneyball where he can play, but he's a screwhead that isn't reliable.

4 hours ago, brdu4 said:

If the Braves can’t get Donaldson and look to get an outfield bat through a trade.  I would think it wouldn’t cost much to go after Trey Mancini or Jorge Soler. 

Mancini would cost a fortune. Hes got 3 years of control left. Baltimore would want a lot to let him go. I wouldnt go after Soler. I'd put last year in the fluke category until I see him do it more. Too much bust potential in Soler for me.

5 hours ago, brdu4 said:

If the Braves can’t get Donaldson and look to get an outfield bat through a trade.  I would think it wouldn’t cost much to go after Trey Mancini or Jorge Soler. 

It was reported last season that the O's wanted a lot for Mancini. I really like him and was asking people here about him last season.

KC would want Wright and another prospect at least for Soler and I don't really trust him.

41 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Mancini would cost a fortune. Hes got 3 years of control left. Baltimore would want a lot to let him go. I wouldnt go after Soler. I'd put last year in the fluke category until I see him do it more. Too much bust potential in Soler for me.

Spot on, Soler would be a terrible trade. I think Espn put that one out there on the blockbuster trades article. I was laughing.

13 hours ago, Malachore said:

Here's where I'm going to catch crap. This has been a great offseason so far but if we don't get JD or a power bat to replace him I think it becomes very blah. 

I agree...We need Donaldson to knock this off season  out of the park....

I love what we've done so far...but JD is the cherry on top

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

I wouldn't touch Mancini unless you can guarantee that the NL will get the DH. Dude is a statute out in the field. As for Soler, I'd probably put him in the same boat (defensively), but I think the bat can be very real. Huge issue with him has been his propensity for injury, which cut short a rather solid offensive 2018. And he's still only 27, much like Mancini.

2 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

I wouldn't touch Mancini unless you can guarantee that the NL will get the DH. Dude is a statute out in the field. As for Soler, I'd probably put him in the same boat (defensively), but I think the bat can be very real. Huge issue with him has been his propensity for injury, which cut short a rather solid offensive 2018. And he's still only 27, much like Mancini.

I’m a big fan of the DH in the NL. We could add a middle of the order bat like Edwin Encarnacion for the type of contracts AA covets. More players get paid by adding the spot, more offense, and honestly I don’t think strategy takes a hit at all. You can take several approaches whether it be add an EE or Cruz type of player or have a player(s) that rotate in to keep guys fresh. Would certainly help with a guy like Freeman who refuses to sit out but we really need fresh for the postseason. I’ve gotten over my purist days, it’s time to move on. 

3 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

As for Soler, I'd probably put him in the same boat (defensively), but I think the bat can be very real. Huge issue with him has been his propensity for injury, which cut short a rather solid offensive 2018. And he's still only 27, much like Mancini.

I saw Soler play a lot in AA. His power is the best I'd seen from a non-Brave since Carlos Delgado. You're absolutely right about the injuries, which is why it's so strange that he played 162 games this season. That almost matches what he did in 2016-2018 combined. But when he's healthy, he's legitimately got 50-homer power. Soler, Donaldson, Freeman, Albies, and Acuna could realistically be the sickest lineup in Braves history. If Austin Riley comes around -- and I think he will -- it'd be that much scarier.

Here's something from a KC fansite that's particularly insightful:

" Last season, Soler fell in the 96th percentile of both average exit velocity and hard hit percentage. He led MLB with 70 barrels, the highest quality of contact as tracked by Statcast. What’s even more telling: no player with as many batted ball events as Soler had a higher hard hit percentage, barrels per batted ball event rate, or barrels per plate appearance rate. Soler posted career highs across the board in quality of contact stats, propelling himself to the upper echelon of MLB leaderboards in the process. Why is this so important? The ability to hit the ball hard is one of the strongest indicators of hitting success: of the top 10 players in baseball in barrels/PA% in 2019, only one had a wRC+ below 135."