2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Braves president Mike Plant was on a Liberty Media stream to investors. He told them the Braves are set up to win now and that "they're going for it." He added the plan is to compliment the core youth

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Atlanta Sports Fan.

And I want Jeff Bezos to give me half his checking account. 

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Braves really just signed a catcher who played 500 MLB games and only racked up a WAR of 3.3 for his career to a deal worth $8M per season? Holy crap that's dumb. Well guess we can all hope his run with the Rays was real and not a fluke. At least d'Arnaud is good defensively, I just think he's over paid by a couple million bucks. $10M for 2 seems like a much more fair deal.

I would rather have Suzuki back

1 hour ago, Skott Lee said:

I would rather have Suzuki back

I just liked Yan Gomes better. I don't have a problem with Travis d'Arnaud. I'm just being picky about a couple million dollars because he's been hurt so much in his career and so if he gets hurt again we're back to Tyler Flowers as the everyday catcher again and that just pisses me off.

8 hours ago, Malachore said:

I disagree.

To answer your other questions, we upgraded at catchee in every aspect including offensively IF he stays healthy. 

Meh to each their own with that one.  Now as for catcher i almost sorta wish we might have waited to see on Omar Narvaez  as the mariners are interested in moving him as i think his offense is quite solid.  But his defense is probably not much better than Flowers and maybe on par or a little below D'arnaud.  Not sure how much they were asking though to see if it was worth it or not.

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

Meh to each their own with that one.  Now as for catcher i almost sorta wish we might have waited to see on Omar Narvaez  as the mariners are interested in moving him as i think his offense is quite solid.  But his defense is probably not much better than Flowers and maybe on par or a little below D'arnaud.  Not sure how much they were asking though to see if it was worth it or not.

Are you saying Narvaez is on par defensively with d'Arnaud?

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Are you saying Narvaez is on par defensively with d'Arnaud?

Nah im saying he is a bit better than Flowers and a bit below D'Arnaud. aka not to great but a better more reliable bat in the lineup if we have to settle for a avg or below avg defensive catcher anyways.  Did some research after i asked you yesterday on travis's defense.  He's better than both of those guys i would say on D with a better throwout rate.  Not as good at framing or even close with Flowers who thats about his only redeeming quality outside of calling a solid game lol.   I was just hoping for a really good defensive catcher is all if we had to settle for below avg offense.  Where as Navaez i would say provides a more reliable bat thats good in the lineup if we had to settle for avg to below avg defense from any of the 3.   BUTTTTT again im not really up for giving up much prospects for Navaez since his defense isn't much better than flowers just for his bat. 

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Not sure what a few people see in Narvaez, his peripherals are all below league average or poor from what I saw.

Mostly his bat at the plate is better than the other 2 options is all i was getting at because defensivly he leaves ALOT to be desire.   I was more so of the line of thinking if he came cheap enough would i rather have a healthier more reliable bat on offense if all 3 of the options we avg to below avg behind the plate based on their numbers the last few years.  To me it would all be what type of prospect would be asked for and i feel they would ask for more than i would be willing to give making it a wasted time in the 1st place.  I wouldn't be willing to give up much for him with his defense.

58 minutes ago, Malachore said:

The site I looked at had everything below average at the plate.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/omar-narvaez-553882?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

ohhh i sorta like that site i appreciate you linking me to it.  Gonna keep that one in my favorites to use from now on.  I see what you are talking about where as his base numbers of avg and obp are very solid and a little above avg  how he got there to them looks a bit more of luck than him hitting the ball really well all the time.  Now how he is that lucky every year if his metrics are always like that i dunno.

1 minute ago, FalconFan13 said:

ohhh i sorta like that site i appreciate you linking me to it.  Gonna keep that one in my favorites to use from now on.  I see what you are talking about where as his base numbers of avg and obp are very solid and a little above avg  how he got there to them looks a bit more of luck than him hitting the ball really well all the time.  Now how he is that lucky every year if his metrics are always like that i dunno.

Yeah that's what caught my eye when people were talking about him. The power numbers are there but it could be a bit of luck the juiced ball. 

He hit 22 HRs and still posted a OPS of .813.

Before the season even ended, a few of us had figured out that we were looking at a D'Arnaud-type of player at catcher for next year. Unless Alex Jackson suddenly develops a hit tool, it's the best we can do in terms of well-rounded player.

McCann and Javy spoiled us all so much for so long that we've forgotten catching is a defense-first position. Flowers is upper third in the league at the position. Well, he is when he remembers how to catch a baseball.

31 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

That's the site I started using during games to see how hard the Braves were hitting the ball to know if they were hitting into bad luck or not. It's an extremely useful site to tell the difference between good contact and bad contact during game.

8 minutes ago, jidady said:

Before the season even ended, a few of us had figured out that we were looking at a D'Arnaud-type of player at catcher for next year. Unless Alex Jackson suddenly develops a hit tool, it's the best we can do in terms of well-rounded player.

McCann and Javy spoiled us all so much for so long that we've forgotten catching is a defense-first position. Flowers is upper third in the league at the position. Well, he is when he remembers how to catch a baseball.

I don't think anyone here is asking for a Johnny Bench type do it all catcher, just someone who's good defensively. Whatever offense we get from the position is a plus. The problem is the last several years we've been forced to sit threw poor defensive catchers who offer little to nothing offensively like Pierzynski, Flowers, Suzuki and a watered down McCann and it's just wearing on us so much. One of the reasons Yan Gomes was number one on my wish list was because of his defense. Gomes has never had a season with a negative defensive WAR according to B/R and he's also turned in a few solid offensive seasons as an added bonus. But I wouldn't care if we had another Charlie O'Brien or Eddie Perez as catcher. We should build a team that gets enough offense from the other positions that we can afford to go with an O'Brien or Perez defensive stud at catcher.

People keep talking about how great Flowers is at pitch framing but dude led MLB in passed balls in 2019 and who knows what his caught stealing percentage was. It's ridiculous that the only thing we can say good about Flowers defense is that he's a good pitch framer, when and if he catches the ball. We should never have to worry about if the catcher is gonna catch the ball or not. That's insane that we've come to that.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

The site I looked at had everything below average at the plate.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/omar-narvaez-553882?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

Ehh, fair enough. He does hit a lot of singles, which is a big reason for his low xSLG. While I’d love to see his Exit velo increase, his BABIP (only .306) and ISO (Top 100 statistically if if he qualified) paint of picture of him not being crazy lucky. If he can translate more of those singles into XBHs, he’s going to be loved more by advanced stats.