Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

531 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I can't imagine he's been hurt for 3+ years and no one has found out.

Clarifying: while pitchers have done that before, I don’t think Julio has had something for years. I believe that wear and tear from 12 years of professional ball has caused an injury. It happens. Throwing a baseball is unnatural, and it eventually catches up to everyone.

Bronson Arroyo is a good example of a rubber armed pitcher who eventually needed Tommy John surgery. I previously mentioned Wainwright, who people always said was impervious. He had gradual degradation of his UCL that led to TJS, too.

On 16/10/2019 at 3:09 PM, TheTrue7 said:

Well, then the future is brighter than I thought.. 

but still, I want Nick back.. even if I’m in the minority.. :D

On the bench 

Malachore likes this

Markakis would be fine with that I'm sure. When he returned he was told his playing time might be diminished.  He did hit .298 against RHP, .245 against LHP. Hes not an auto out if the opposing team brings in a LH late but hes clearly more comfortable against RHP. He could platoon with Duvall in LF if needed. I'd also like to see Duvall get some work in CF this spring. We need some more bodies capable of playing CF behind Ender.

18 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Markakis would be fine with that I'm sure. When he returned he was told his playing time might be diminished.  He did hit .298 against RHP, .245 against LHP. Hes not an auto out if the opposing team brings in a LH late but hes clearly more comfortable against RHP. He could platoon with Duvall in LF if needed. I'd also like to see Duvall get some work in CF this spring. We need some more bodies capable of playing CF behind Ender.

But it wasn't. Markakis was still in there every day. Then in the playoffs who did we bench? Joyce even though Joyce crushes RHP and had all season. Brian Snitker is just like Bobby Cox in that he's extremely loyal to his veterans, sometimes even at the detriment to the overall health and success of the team. It's what got Mike Smith fired from the Falcons. Loyalty is a good thing, but only if it doesn't hurt your ability to make the hard decisions, like benching guys that aren't producing, no matter what their history is.

If I want a part time player/bench guy I want him to excel at something. Above average power, speed, or defense and sadly Markakis does none of those things. That's my problem. I want a big time bat. But if we insist on keeping Markakis it better come with the notice that he shouldn't start against LHP. But I don't have faith in Brian Snitker to do that. All last winter and spring training we heard how the plan was to rest Markakis and keep him fresh and yet the first 50 or 60 games of the season Markakis started all of them but 1 or 2. WTF? Snitker talks a good game but when it's time to actually implement it he doesn't.

22 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Mark Bowman Q&A.

He says it's a near lock that Flowers will return. Braves cant afford to go into the winter with 0 catchers he says. He puts Markakis odds at 65%. He mentions the Braves may view Joyce as a suitable, cheaper option that could platoon with Pache or Waters. He says it's a toss up on Julio right now, really just depends on what Anthopolous thinks he can do to replace those innings. Julio is certainly declining, Bowman pointed to his walk rate being 3rd worth in MLB. We all know Anthopolous doesnt tolerate walks. It's what led to Wright and Wilson making the team out of Spring last year. He says Newcomb will compete for a rotation spot in the Spring. If he wins good, if he doesnt hes a capable bullpen arm. He says Riley is a total wild card right now. He could compete for 3B with Camargo if Donaldson leaves or be used as trade bait.

Dang, what do the Braves see in Flowers that I don't see?   There has got to be someone better than him in free agency or trade.  

20 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

Dang, what do the Braves see in Flowers that I don't see?   There has got to be someone better than him in free agency or trade.  

No, theres really not. Flowers is considered one of the best options behind Grandal. That market is Grandal or bust. Really weak this winter.

47 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

No, theres really not. Flowers is considered one of the best options behind Grandal. That market is Grandal or bust. Really weak this winter.

Grandal picked a great time to bet on himself. I could see someone like Narvaez from the Mariners being dealt, but he's pretty subpar behind the dish, so I would imagine the Braves wouldn't involve themselves there.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/catcher/

Catcher free agency is absolutely hideous beyond Grandal. Your best options beyond him that aren't completely bleh are to hope Gomes gets declined (he's had some solid years) or to sign Castro and see if he can continue his BS in a platoon where he doesn't see LHP (his overall line sucks but against RHP he had a good slash and he's had some good seasons).

You're not getting two good at offense catchers in free agency and you're not trading for one in this offseason. I think the hard truth for us is that we're in a defensive resurgence (primarily due to framing being recorded and loved) where most care more about framing than offense at the catching spot and are willing to punt offense there.

For us to get a good catcher on offense in the future like our past we will have to beg and plead that Contreras' younger brother grows and develops. He has the pedigree because his older bro is really good but didn't really have a good season this year.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

We could kick the tires on Jason Castro and Yan Gomes if his option is declined. Gomes is just so inconsistent you never know what he'll do. Castro is solid defensively but hes not going to hit much more than .220 with some 10-15 HR pop. Travis d'Arnaud had a great resurgence in Tampa but you dont know how much he's going to be healthy. 

The way that this organization feels about Kakes, I fully expect him to become a manager for us at some point. Just imagine those press conferences...

ATLBrave likes this

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

We could kick the tires on Jason Castro and Yan Gomes if his option is declined. Gomes is just so inconsistent you never know what he'll do. Castro is solid defensively but hes not going to hit much more than .220 with some 10-15 HR pop. Travis d'Arnaud had a great resurgence in Tampa but you dont know how much he's going to be healthy. 

I've done explained why I would go after Yan Gomes if he becomes available but it's doubtful the Nats let him go. Another guy I've made the case for is Robinson Chirinios. Both would be massive upgrades over Tyler Flowers at this point. Francisco Cervelli is a massive upgrade. There is no reason for the Braves to not attempt to get better at the catcher position. But I don't expect any big moves from the Braves. I'm fully prepared that Flowers will be back and get the bulk of the playing time behind the plate again and that we'll be forced to watch another year of Nick Markakis.

25 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I've done explained why I would go after Yan Gomes if he becomes available but it's doubtful the Nats let him go. Another guy I've made the case for is Robinson Chirinios. Both would be massive upgrades over Tyler Flowers at this point. Francisco Cervelli is a massive upgrade. There is no reason for the Braves to not attempt to get better at the catcher position. But I don't expect any big moves from the Braves. I'm fully prepared that Flowers will be back and get the bulk of the playing time behind the plate again and that we'll be forced to watch another year of Nick Markakis.

I suspect Flowers I'll be back as the backup but it's tough to see a true #1 in the market outside of Grandal. 

6 hours ago, Malachore said:

I wonder what it would take to get Mookie...

I saw on Bleacher Report a trade of Ian Anderson and Ender Inciarte. I'd do Ender and one of the other pitching prospects not Ian Anderson 

TheTrue7 likes this

9 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

I saw on Bleacher Report a trade of Ian Anderson and Ender Inciarte. I'd do Ender and one of the other pitching prospects not Ian Anderson 

Ender isn't getting it done. Think like Pache and probably 2 SP prospects. You'll have to outbid other teams.

13 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

If that was all it took I'd do it yesterday. 

It's going to take Pache/Waters along with Anderson and another SP.

Braves are expected to update the Freeman elbow situation soon. During his end of season presser Anthopolous said they would discuss surgery with Freeman. 

5 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I suspect Flowers I'll be back as the backup but it's tough to see a true #1 in the market outside of Grandal. 

You don't have to be a true #1 to be an upgrade over Flowers.

10 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You don't have to be a true #1 to be an upgrade over Flowers.

Flowers catching seemed to drop off big this season. He has never been a great catcher but he was dropping balls that were hitting him dead in the mit. Kinda strange

4 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Flowers catching seemed to drop off big this season. He has never been a great catcher but he was dropping balls that were hitting him dead in the mit. Kinda strange

His framing is what hes great at. Hes been one of if not the best pitch framer in MLB every year.

Rangers Field Coordinator Jayce Tingler is reportedly the #1 choice in SD. Washington seems to be plan B if no deal is reached. Wash isn't involved in any other managerial search at this time. 

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

His framing is what hes great at. Hes been one of if not the best pitch framer in MLB every year.

I'm just alarmed that he suddenly developed the catching yips. That's happened like six times in the last 50 years of baseball.

7 hours ago, Malachore said:

If that was all it took I'd do it yesterday. 

It's going to take Pache/Waters along with Anderson and another SP.

Anderson just struck 172 in 135 2/3 innings. With all of our young arms, I'd be stunned if we gave him up in a deal. I think he's the closest thing we have to an untouchable prospect right now.

Falconsfan567 and TheTrue7 like this

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Wonder how his framing was this year considering he couldn't even catch the ball anymore.