Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

1,087 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

If you can do it minus the name calling, no problem.. and I explained my reasoning.. 

:shrug:

I don't think I called you any names today. You come at me more often than not and I eventually take your bait. 

You want to use today as reasoning. There are days like today where you assume this when I actually right.

I'm tired of this though, at least I admit when I'm wrong. You just blame people for why you did it.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Sorry, I can't get with this idea. I wanna see more production out of Pache in the minors before I'm ready to stick him in the majors as an everyday player. I'm not even fully solid that Riley is quite ready yet to handle being an everyday guy. It's why I'm hoping we go out and get a big time proven bat.

No need for that man. We disagree often, no worries.. I’m just pretty excited about what’s brewing and wanna see it sooner than later

falconsd56 and Falconsfan567 like this

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

No need for that man. We disagree often, no worries.. I’m just pretty excited about what’s brewing and wanna see it sooner than later

I'm higher on Drew Walters than I am Christian Pache to be honest with you. If I had to trade one or the other I'm trading Pache. Walters has hit more in the minors than Pache has and is just as good a fielder.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

I don't think I called you any names today. You come at me more often than not and I eventually take your bait. 

You want to use today as reasoning. There are days like today where you assume this when I actually right.

I'm tired of this though, at least I admit when I'm wrong. You just blame people for why you did it.

Didn’t say you did today.. 

and I wasn’t using today as reasoning.. you’ve wanted to dump several guys early.. but I really don’t want to go down this rabbit hole with you either.
 there’s been such a good discussion.. let’s stay on topic

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm higher on Drew Walters than I am Christian Pache to be honest with you. If I had to trade one or the other I'm trading Pache. Walters has hit more in the minors than Pache has and is just as good a fielder.

Thought I read somewhere about Drew’s Ks.. I’m pretty stoked about him too.. was brain farting his name earlier and wanted to bring him up too.. 

edit: bring him up in conversation, not up up

Edited by TheTrue7

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

Thought I read somewhere about Drew’s Ks.. I’m pretty stoked about him too.. was brain farting his name earlier and wanted to bring him up too

Yes, Waters strikes out a lot. That's the only negative I see in his offensive game. But even with all those strikeouts he's still managed to somehow hit .298/.354/.461 (.814) in the minors. Pache has hit .283/.331/.404 (.734) in the minors. That is why I'm not sold on him yet.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes, Waters strikes out a lot. That's the only negative I see in his offensive game. But even with all those strikeouts he's still managed to somehow hit .298/.354/.461 (.814) in the minors. Pache has hit .283/.331/.404 (.734) in the minors. That is why I'm not sold on him yet.

That is impressive.. you really think Waters and Pache are equal defensively though?

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Same here.

I also really dislike Pache's swing. 

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

That is impressive.. you really think Waters and Pache are equal defensively though?

He's really good. There's very little separation between the two defensively.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

He's really good. There's very little separation between the two defensively.

Well, then the future is brighter than I thought.. 

but still, I want Nick back.. even if I’m in the minority.. :D

who gets added to the 40 man roster to protect them from the rule 5 draft? 

34 minutes ago, brdu4 said:

I think Contreras has to be added but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Same here.

I also really dislike Pache's swing. 

Ha, you really would have hated it in A-ball.

Pache is going to be a monster.

1 hour ago, brdu4 said:

William Contreras
Tucker Davidson
Cristian Pache

Maybe Philip Pfiefer after the comeback season he had, and given that he's left-handed.

37 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Ha, you really would have hated it in A-ball.

Pache is going to be a monster.

I'm 100% certain that you've seen far more of him than me but his swing just looked really long and I felt like it would be easy for him to fall into some really bad habits.

Any expectations for us to add a big bat in the outfield need to be seriously tempered. I actually don’t think they have either Pache or Waters ticketed for a FULL 2020 in AAA, with there being a lot of scuttlebutt that they’re higher on Pache even though Waters apparently has elite put the bat on the ball skills.

They may very well trade Ender and pick Nick up (if they can convince him and Snitker of an eventual transition to a part time role of sharing time), and plan on dealing with Pache’s growing pains in MLB starting sometime in May of 2020 unless Waters completely DISMANTLES Gwinnett to the tune of hitting .340+/.380+/.460+ while Pache ****s the bed in the spring.

For some even if Pache has relative success, it’ll be another Heyward vs Freeman and Swanson vs Albies in choosing something over just being a great batting average guy first (although in the Albies case it’s turned out he can’t really play SS anymore due to arm problems so it doesn’t look as bad).

So, the end of the story of all of this is, it’s likely going to turn out that we’re not too serious about 2020 either. The established young players are going to have to keep pushing and you’re going to have to get solid rookie efforts to make the idea of not being serious with another year look bad.

Mark Bowman Q&A.

He says it's a near lock that Flowers will return. Braves cant afford to go into the winter with 0 catchers he says. He puts Markakis odds at 65%. He mentions the Braves may view Joyce as a suitable, cheaper option that could platoon with Pache or Waters. He says it's a toss up on Julio right now, really just depends on what Anthopolous thinks he can do to replace those innings. Julio is certainly declining, Bowman pointed to his walk rate being 3rd worth in MLB. We all know Anthopolous doesnt tolerate walks. It's what led to Wright and Wilson making the team out of Spring last year. He says Newcomb will compete for a rotation spot in the Spring. If he wins good, if he doesnt hes a capable bullpen arm. He says Riley is a total wild card right now. He could compete for 3B with Camargo if Donaldson leaves or be used as trade bait.

12 hours ago, Malachore said:

I'm 100% certain that you've seen far more of him than me but his swing just looked really long and I felt like it would be easy for him to fall into some really bad habits.

Sure, it's gotten longer as he's started to hit for more power. Now they need to work on shortening it up so he can turn on inside fastballs. This is true for most hitters his age that has had their bodies change rapidly thanks to weight training, modern diet, and going through their late teens/early twenties.

He is certainly not a finished product. But he will be a monster.

Malachore likes this

18 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Padres named their 2 finalists for manager. One is Ron Washington 

That would really hurt. Albies was quietly incredible for us this season. He had a WAR of 4.8, but it got overshadowed by all the big bats. Losing Washington could cause him to regress. The two have a special, unmistakably tight relationship.

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Mark Bowman Q&A.

He says it's a near lock that Flowers will return. Braves cant afford to go into the winter with 0 catchers he says. He puts Markakis odds at 65%. He mentions the Braves may view Joyce as a suitable, cheaper option that could platoon with Pache or Waters. He says it's a toss up on Julio right now, really just depends on what Anthopolous thinks he can do to replace those innings. Julio is certainly declining, Bowman pointed to his walk rate being 3rd worth in MLB. We all know Anthopolous doesnt tolerate walks. It's what led to Wright and Wilson making the team out of Spring last year. He says Newcomb will compete for a rotation spot in the Spring. If he wins good, if he doesnt hes a capable bullpen arm. He says Riley is a total wild card right now. He could compete for 3B with Camargo if Donaldson leaves or be used as trade bait.

$12 million dollars seems too much to pay Teheran just to be an innings-eater. They could probably sign Tanner Roark or for a little more than half that to do the same thing.

26 minutes ago, The Kingfish said:

$12 million dollars seems too much to pay Teheran just to be an innings-eater. They could probably sign Tanner Roark or for a little more than half that to do the same thing.

Especially an "innings eater" who's only good for 175 innings and is completely gassed.

I agree with @jidady and think that Julio is hurt and has been for a while now and just won't tell anyone. Its the only thing that makes sense to understand why he can give it every amount of effort he's got and barely reach 90 mph anymore. He also threw over 200 innings in both 2014 and 2015 (221  innings in 14) and hasn't come close to reaching 200 innings since. I don't know, something is just off with him.

Malachore likes this

26 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Especially an "innings eater" who's only good for 175 innings and is completely gassed.

I agree with @jidady and think that Julio is hurt and has been for a while now and just won't tell anyone. Its the only thing that makes sense to understand why he can give it every amount of effort he's got and barely reach 90 mph anymore. He also threw over 200 innings in both 2014 and 2015 (221  innings in 14) and hasn't come close to reaching 200 innings since. I don't know, something is just off with him.

I can't imagine he's been hurt for 3+ years and no one has found out.

K26dp likes this

40 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I can't imagine he's been hurt for 3+ years and no one has found out.

I just don't know how else to explain the major drop in velocity over the years.