Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

803 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

Pache that far off?

Then he got injured again.. I just figure Pache would come up, Acuna in RF, with Nick as a platoon/bench bat.. 

again, obviously I’m alone on this one, but tis what tis 

Braves will probably be very cautious with Pache. He doesn't turn 21 until Novemeber and has only played 26 games at Gwinnett. He's only played 159 games at Double-A or higher. So I wouldn't be counting on him just yet. I think he still has a way's to go before his bat is ready and the Braves won't rush him. I think they've got him penciled in to spend all of 2020 at Gwinnett and then if that goes as they hope then we could see him as a September call up next year.

14 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Your reputation precedes you.. not an insult, just you’re quick to eject

Worst apology ever.

I know you've already said you don't believe in WAR, but it's got some value when you consider that Markakis in 116 games in 2019 had a WAR of only 0.8 and Ender in only 65 games racked up a WAR of 0.6. So Ender had nearly the same WAR in half as many games. That's huge.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I know you've already said you don't believe in WAR, but it's got some value when you consider that Markakis in 116 games in 2019 had a WAR of only 0.8 and Ender in only 65 games racked up a WAR of 0.6. So Ender had nearly the same WAR in half as many games. That's huge.

As well as Duvall. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Braves will probably be very cautious with Pache. He doesn't turn 21 until Novemeber and has only played 26 games at Gwinnett. He's only played 159 games at Double-A or higher. So I wouldn't be counting on him just yet. I think he still has a way's to go before his bat is ready and the Braves won't rush him. I think they've got him penciled in to spend all of 2020 at Gwinnett and then if that goes as they hope then we could see him as a September call up next year.

After watching Ender swing this year, guess i have a hard time seeing Pache as being a liability in that way.. I know he started coming on late but injuries are mounting.. 

Just now, Malachore said:

Worst apology ever.

For what should I be apologizing for? Not agreeing? We can have differing opinions. I know it happens more frequently with you, but I explained why. “Quick to eject” again, not insulting you, just we’d be without a lot of personnel if we made those type of quick reactionary decisions

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

As well as Duvall. 

And Duvall is an exceptional fielder and brings pop to the lineup. I just wouldn't want to see him forced into CF.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I’m sorry man.. I just have a hard time viewing that stat as meaningful.. probably the only one here with that opinion as well.. 

:sigh:

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

And Duvall is an exceptional fielder and brings pop to the lineup. I just wouldn't want to see him forced into CF.

So would you view this year as the outlier for Duvall? 

After watching Ender swing this year, guess i have a hard time seeing Pache as being a liability in that way.. I know he started coming on late but injuries are mounting.. 

For what should I be apologizing for? Not agreeing? We can have differing opinions. I know it happens more frequently with you, but I explained why. “Quick to eject” again, not insulting you, just we’d be without a lot of personnel if we made those type of quick reactionary decisions

That's not the point though. It's not a matter of if Pache would be better or worse than Ender. The matter is, you don't want Pache sitting and only playing sometimes. You would want him to continue to play everyday and to continue to develop in hopes that he reaches his full potential. That is why I believe the Braves will want him to spend all of 2020 at Gwinnett so that he does continue to develop his swing. They project him as a future building block of the team as an everyday regular and you don't want to stunt his growth.

If we keep Markakis as a platoon/part-time player then it's better to platoon him with a guy like Duvall. I would just hope that we go out and get another proven big time bat. We really could have used it against the Cardinals.

Malachore likes this

8 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

There's a difference between not agreeing and instantly pissing on my opinion because I said it and that's exactly what you do whether you realize it or not.

There's a difference between no agreeing and instantly pissing on my opinion because I said it and that's exactly what you do whether you realize it or not.

That’s your perception

His offense in particular 

Duvall in his 41 games with the Braves hit .267/.315/.567. His career mark is .233/.292/.461. In that way he far exceeded his career norms. So, yeah, I would call what he did this year an outlier.

4 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

So would you view this year as the outlier for Duvall? 

He's always had huge power and been a great OFer.

This year was what he was in Cincinnati before being very bad in 2018.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That's not the point though. It's not a matter of if Pache would be better or worse than Ender. The matter is, you don't want Pache sitting and only playing sometimes. You would want him to continue to play everyday and to continue to develop in hopes that he reaches his full potential. That is why I believe the Braves will want him to spend all of 2020 at Gwinnett so that he does continue to develop his swing. They project him as a future building block of the team as an everyday regular and you don't want to stunt his growth.

If we keep Markakis as a platoon/part-time player then it's better to platoon him with a guy like Duvall. I would just hope that we go out and get another proven big time bat. We really could have used it against the Cardinals.

I wasnt saying sit Pache and only play him every so often

That’s your perception

LOL ok

Guess I'll use that excuse next time then. My perception is because of days like today. Had that been anyone else you'd have not done it, you are proving it now.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

He's always had huge power and been a great OFer.

This year was what he was in Cincinnati before being very bad in 2018.

I don’t know man.. he was pretty bad in 18, 15, and 14.. 

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

I wasnt saying sit Pache and only play him every so often

I assumed you were talking about trading Ender and using Pache as the backup to CF. Am I wrong in thinking that?

LOL ok

Guess I'll use that excuse next time then. My perception is because of days like today. Had that been anyone else you'd have not done it, you are proving it now.

If you can do it minus the name calling, no problem.. and I explained my reasoning.. 

:shrug:

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

He had 150 ABs in 14 and 15 combined.

He's a big power guy with great defense who strikes out a lot.

He only played 28 and 27 MLB games in 2014 and 2015 so you have to throw that out the window. It's true he's always been a big power hitter but even what he did this year far exceeds anything he's ever done before. How much of that was the baseballs? How much of it was him improving his swing? We honestly don't know.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I assumed you were talking about trading Ender and using Pache as the backup to CF. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Trade Ender.. Pache start in CF.. Acuna in RF. Riley in LF.. when Riley sits, move Acuna to LF and Nick in RF

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

He only played 28 and 27 MLB games in 2014 and 2015 so you have to throw that out the window. It's true he's always been a big power hitter but even what he did this year far exceeds anything he's ever done before. How much of that was the baseballs? How much of it was him improving his swing? We honestly don't know.

Didn’t even think of that.. 

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

Trade Ender.. Pache start in CF.. Acuna in RF. Riley in LF.. when Riley sits, move Acuna to LF and Nick in RF

Sorry, I can't get with this idea. I wanna see more production out of Pache in the minors before I'm ready to stick him in the majors as an everyday player. I'm not even fully solid that Riley is quite ready yet to handle being an everyday guy. It's why I'm hoping we go out and get a big time proven bat.

Malachore and falconsd56 like this