Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

820 posts in this topic

Just now, Malachore said:

Oh look there it is again.

There's no blind hate, the guy isn't good. If that is your definition of hate then it's no wonder you always get so upset when someone is criticizing a extremely replaceable ball player.

If "platoon player" is the positives that you speak of then all I can say is LOL.

Lol no answer? I figured

Also, viewing someone as a quality platoon player so we can bring a kid up to platoon with him, while spending on actual positions of need is positive.. 

but you do you

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

Lol no answer? I figured

Look it up.

I don't owe you anything when all you do is come at me with your lazy responses of "blind hate".

It shouldn't be hard to find, list it with all those positives I skipped over.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

Look it up.

I don't owe you anything when all you do is come at me with your lazy responses of "blind hate".

It shouldn't be hard to find, list it with all those positives I skipped over.

Lol 

like I said.. I figured 

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

Lol 

like I said.. I figured 

You don't figure anything you just act passive aggressive because your completely numb to it.

idk why you have such an issue with me dude, I really don't but it's grown tiresome and honestly sucks any joy I have out of this place.

I really wish you'd just move on. Or at least offer something other than insults that somehow slide by mods. All you do is demean anyone who doesn't agree with you.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

You don't figure anything you just act passive aggressive because your completely numb to it.

idk why you have such an issue with me dude, I really don't but it's grown tiresome and honestly sucks any joy I have out of this place.

I really wish you'd just move on. Or at least offer something other than insults that somehow slide by mods. All you do is demean anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Instead of viewing it as an issue with you, why don’t you view it as an issue with that opinion?

and seriously? Demean anyone who doesn’t agree with me? Pot meet kettle?

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

Instead of viewing it as an issue with you, why don’t you view it as an issue with that opinion?

and seriously? Demean anyone who doesn’t agree with me? Pot meet kettle?

You are literally the only person I do this with.

You have an issue with every opinion of mine, that's my point. This one is a prime example. My original response was about him starting again, you come at me about it then settle on platoon guy.

I tell you why he isn't good, nothing I said was a lie yet the best you can come up with is "blind hate" which is a pretty lazy and incorrect argument to make.

I'm done though, enjoy not realizing that you aren't perfect and that you can sometimes be just as much of a problem as the people you call "trolls".

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

You are literally the only person I do this with.

You have an issue with every opinion of mine, that's my point. This one is a prime example. My original response was about him starting again, you come at me about it then settle on platoon guy.

I tell you why he isn't good, nothing I said was a lie yet the best you can come up with is "blind hate" which is a pretty lazy and incorrect argument to make.

I'm done though, enjoy not realizing that you aren't perfect and that you can sometimes be just as much of a problem as the people you call "trolls".

“I think they take the option on Markakis if he understands there's a very good shot that he's a bench or platoon player.“

Original statement you had issue with..

:huh:

And he wasn’t done in 2018.. hence coming back and being the third best bat amongst “everyday players” for us.. 

he’s good.. just doesn’t have the pop you want

Nick Markakis had a WAR of 0.8 in 116 games in 2019. It's extremely difficult to play that many games and post such a low WAR number. In 2 of the past 3 seasons his OPS+ has been below 100. 100 is average. 2018 was a total outlier for Markakis and 2017 and 2019 were much more true to his real value and performance. Outside of him being a positive voice in the clubhouse he brings so little to the team as far as wins are concerned that I really hope we don't keep him.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Nick Markakis had a WAR of 0.8 in 116 games in 2019. It's extremely difficult to play that many games and post such a low WAR number. In 2 of the past 3 seasons his OPS+ has been below 100. 100 is average. 2018 was a total outlier for Markakis and 2017 and 2019 were much more true to his real value and performance. Outside of him being a positive voice in the clubhouse he brings so little to the team as far as wins are concerned that I really hope we don't keep him.

****.. and I thought you would at least agree with me on this one.. 

3 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

****.. and I thought you would at least agree with me on this one.. 

Well I would agree he could be a good platoon option if there was something he was still exceptionally good at. But he doesn't bring plus power, speed, or defense to the team. He's very average in all 3 areas.

Well I would agree he could be a good platoon option if there was something he was still exceptionally good at. But he doesn't bring plus power, speed, or defense to the team. He's very average in all 3 areas.

He’s a solid defensive player.. do you think his OPS+ number takes a hit due to lack of power most of all? I mean he’s a great contact hitter and his K rate is NOT AN ISSUE...

He’s a solid defensive player.. do you think his OPS+ number takes a hit due to lack of power most of all? I mean he’s a great contact hitter and his K rate is NOT AN ISSUE...

According to B/R Nick Markakis had a fielding WAR of negative 1.0. So no, he's not a solid defensive player anymore, if you give any credence to WAR numbers. And I'm sure his lack of power plays a big role in his OPS+ number, although I don't know how much because I don't know the formula behind it. Unlike Fangraphs where you get detailed articles explaining how they come up with stuff like wRC+.

Yes, he's a great contact hitter and gets on base. That's the only thing of value he offers, so that would make him a decent pinch-hitter. Do you want to pay $6M to a guy to be a decent pinch-hitter who offers no value in any other area of the game? Billy Hamilton is terrible offensively but at least he makes some level of sense as a bench guy because of his tremendous speed and ability to change the outcome of games on the bases. He's also incredible defensively. You can't use Markakis as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement late in games because they would actually be making that position worse. That's why it's impossible for me to be on board with the idea of him sticking around as a platoon/bench guy.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

13 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

I never said it was an issue I said it increased. Which could actually be viewed as an issue since contact is the only thing he was good at to begin with.

It's amazing how you are able to carry on this conversation without just saying it's blind hate now.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

According to B/R Nick Markakis had a fielding WAR of negative 1.0. So no, he's not a solid defensive player anymore, if you give any credence to WAR numbers. And I'm sure his lack of power plays a big role in his OPS+ number, although I don't know how much because I don't know the formula behind it. Unlike Fangraphs where you get detailed articles explaining how they come up with stuff like wRC+.

Yes, he's a great contact hitter and gets on base. That's the only thing of value he offers, so that would make him a decent pinch-hitter. Do you want to pay $6M to a guy to be a decent pinch-hitter who offers no value in any other area of the game? Billy Hamilton is terrible offensively but at least he makes some level of sense as a bench guy because of his tremendous speed and ability to change the outcome of games on the bases. He's also incredible defensively. You can't use Markakis as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement late in games because they would actually be making that position worse. That's why it's impossible for me to be on board with the idea of him sticking around as a platoon/bench guy.

I’ll be honest with you, I have a hard time finding 100% validity when it comes to WAR.. my .02, but it’s one of those stats that’s just somewhat inaccurate.. I mean he gets to most everything out there and makes solid decisions.. he may not have the strongest arm but it’s accurate.. he just passes the eye test to me.. 

and yes, I think he’s worth it.. but I guess I’m alone in that regard.. but I’m fine with that 

I just think we'll look for a more impactful bat to plug into LF. We know Acuna can slide to RF where hes best. If we cant find a suitable replacement then we'll probably settle on Nick.

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I never said it was an issue I said it increased. Which could actually be viewed as an issue since contact is the only thing he was good at to begin with.

It's amazing how you are able to carry on this conversation without just saying it's blind hate now.

Your reputation precedes you.. not an insult, just you’re quick to eject

2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I just think we'll look for a more impactful bat to plug into LF. We know Acuna can slide to RF where hes best. If we cant find a suitable replacement then we'll probably settle on Nick.

So we keep Ender instead of Nick?

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

I’ll be honest with you, I have a hard time finding 100% validity when it comes to WAR.. my .02, but it’s one of those stats that’s just somewhat inaccurate.. I mean he gets to most everything out there and makes solid decisions.. he may not have the strongest arm but it’s accurate.. he just passes the eye test to me.. 

and yes, I think he’s worth it.. but I guess I’m alone in that regard.. but I’m fine with that 

But he doesn't. That is where he gets his negative value from. He gets to fewer balls than the average right-fielder does. C'mon dude, I know you watch more teams than just the Braves and I know you see guys get to and catch balls that Nick doesn't catch. It's not hating on him to admit that.

I think that's a strong possibly because Ender can play CF and Nick can't. Not counting Billy Hamilton, the only guys we've got on the team as is that is capable of playing CF and doing it well are Ender and Acuna.

But he doesn't. That is where he gets his negative value from. He gets to fewer balls than the average right-fielder does. C'mon dude, I know you watch more teams than just the Braves and I know you see guys get to and catch balls that Nick doesn't catch. It's not hating on him to admit that.

I swear man.. I just didn’t see that.. maybe I missed it.. 

I think it's certainly possible. Enders defense is so good at a key position  and he did swing the bat really well after his injury. Hes also controlled for 3 more seasons. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think that's a strong possibly because Ender can play CF and Nick can't. Not counting Billy Hamilton, the only guys we've got on the team as is that is capable of playing CF and doing it well are Ender and Acuna.

Pache that far off?

Just now, Unknøwn said:

I think it's certainly possible. Enders defense is so good at a key position  and he did swing the bat really well after his injury. Hes also controlled for 3 more seasons. 

Then he got injured again.. I just figure Pache would come up, Acuna in RF, with Nick as a platoon/bench bat.. 

again, obviously I’m alone on this one, but tis what tis