Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

531 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Ron Washington interviewed with the Padres yesterday. Hes believed to be at or near the top of their list.

:(

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Ron Washington interviewed with the Padres yesterday. Hes believed to be at or near the top of their list.

This is gonna end up being like the Quinn/Shannahan situation. We let Washington leave for a coaching job just to find out that he is the one we should have kept instead of Snit.

NashvilleFalcon01, tl;dr and Spts1 like this

21 hours ago, LouDog said:

This is gonna end up being like the Quinn/Shannahan situation. We let Washington leave for a coaching job just to find out that he is the one we should have kept instead of Snit.

I'm sure most already know/think this. If the Braves were smart Snit would be "retiring".

Spts1 likes this

On 10/11/2019 at 1:06 PM, jidady said:

I get where you're coming from, but the fact that Cervelli didn't want to catch anymore makes him a bit unreliable. As for Jackson, he'll be 24 next year. So, it's time for him to earn his spot. I'm really not impressed thus far, though.

I'd love to par AJax with Grandal, TBH. 

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

I wouldn't look for any big FA deals. The season had barely ended and AA was already sandbagging in the interview he did with The Athletic. We'll probably sign Donaldson and then do a bunch of cheap deals like last year. Gonna be this way til our corporate overlords are gone.

4 hours ago, K26dp said:

I'd love to par AJax with Grandal, TBH. 

The fact that Jackson has struck out 37% of the time the last two years while hitting .215 makes me believe that we'd be wasting a roster spot on him, undeniable power notwithstanding. With an OBP of .300 against AA/AAA competition, he might be a negative WAR player in the majors.

A lot depends on whether the 28 homers were flukey or a sign of sustained improvement and maturation.

22 hours ago, jidady said:

The fact that Jackson has struck out 37% of the time the last two years while hitting .215 makes me believe that we'd be wasting a roster spot on him, undeniable power notwithstanding. With an OBP of .300 against AA/AAA competition, he might be a negative WAR player in the majors.

A lot depends on whether the 28 homers were flukey or a sign of sustained improvement and maturation.

You're also discounting the defense, which has really done a 180 the last two seasons. I think he'd be fine as a classic back-up, with Grandal catching 100+ games. He'd likely hit ~.200 and K a bunch, but also homer a bunch and provide positive defensive value. 

The power is legit. 

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

You're also discounting the defense, which has really done a 180 the last two seasons. I think he'd be fine as a classic back-up, with Grandal catching 100+ games. He'd likely hit ~.200 and K a bunch, but also homer a bunch and provide positive defensive value. 

The power is legit. 

Yeah, I haven't seen him enough to comment on the defense. We didn't get MilB.tv this year, only MLB.tv. 28 homers in 306 at bats is undeniably an attention-grabbing stat. It's just that he looked so overwhelmed with Atlanta.  I'm forcing myself to remember that Klesko went hitless during his first cup of coffee in the majors, too.

Since we're in the offseason now, I figure I'll get a bit random.

Did I ever tell you all that I saw Greg Maddux at Walt Disney World? We were in a secluded area of the Grand Floridian, and I almost knocked him down a flight of stairs. I turned around, and he was right behind me at the top of the stairs. We both kind of stumbled to avoid a collision. He looked...tubby. I mean, he looked like a guy who hadn't lifted a finger since he retired. 

I also saw Richie Incognito on the same trip. His size is frankly incomprehensible in person. You never see his legs because of his uniform. In shorts, you can tell that they're legitimately tree trunks. He actually held the door for my in-laws, smiled sweetly, and made small talk with us as we walked from Bay Lake Tower to the Contemporary.

The whole time, I'm thinking that I've badmouthed this guy for years, yet he's being delightful with my family.  Within a month, he got institutionalized for his behavior at a Boca Raton gym. So, I guess Disney just brought out the best in him. 

K26dp, tl;dr, Dawggone and 2 others like this

Grandal and Donaldson would make us just as good. 

Maybe we will actually trade for Mitch Haniger this offseason lol

25 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Grandal and Donaldson would make us just as good. 

Maybe we will actually trade for Mitch Haniger this offseason lol

That's the big question. Who do we go after in the OF? I think we'll move on from Markakis and I think we'll convince Josh to return. We know Anthopolous will make Riley earn a spot in Spring so we'll have to do something. 

38 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

That's the big question. Who do we go after in the OF? I think we'll move on from Markakis and I think we'll convince Josh to return. We know Anthopolous will make Riley earn a spot in Spring so we'll have to do something. 

Right now they have Acuna, Inciarte, Duvall, and Riley under control. They have an option on Markakis, and they have Pache and Waters likely to start pushing this year, maybe as early as spring. I think they take the option on Markakis if he understands there's a very good shot that he's a bench or platoon player. 

51 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I didn't want to say this in-season. Now that it's over, I'll admit that I'm glad Riley struggled so much. The game came so easy to him for a couple of months. If he had kept that up, he might have grown arrogant in the offseason. Instead, he's got tremendous motivation. That should benefit him long-term. He knows that he needs to keep working, and he's already been outstanding in addressing his flaws throughout his professional career.

K26dp likes this

On 10/12/2019 at 11:25 AM, LouDog said:

Pretty much sums it up...

On 10/14/2019 at 0:02 AM, Ransack said:

I wouldn't look for any big FA deals. The season had barely ended and AA was already sandbagging in the interview he did with The Athletic. We'll probably sign Donaldson and then do a bunch of cheap deals like last year. Gonna be this way til our corporate overlords are gone.

Exactly.  AA SAID he can shop on ANY aisle, but thats not what has been happening...

2 hours ago, jidady said:

I didn't want to say this in-season. Now that it's over, I'll admit that I'm glad Riley struggled so much. The game came so easy to him for a couple of months. If he had kept that up, he might have grown arrogant in the offseason. Instead, he's got tremendous motivation. That should benefit him long-term. He knows that he needs to keep working, and he's already been outstanding in addressing his flaws throughout his professional career.

I was encouraged last offseason to hear about the work he put in with guys like Chipper and Albert Pujols. Now that he has a taste of majors and knows what specific areas to work on, he can focus on those areas. Hopefully he spends pretty much the entire winter being Chipper's shadow. There's no one better to learn from.

jidady and NashvilleFalcon01 like this

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

Exactly.  AA SAID he can shop on ANY aisle, but thats not what has been happening...

We bought a $23 million MVP candidate, a $13 million pitcher, and three relievers this year. I'm first in line to slam Liberty, but the Braves (eventually) made the moves that they'd promised this season. Given the way that we kicked the crap out of Washington in the second half, we were a couple of defensive miscues/clutch hits away from the World Series.

5 hours ago, K26dp said:

Right now they have Acuna, Inciarte, Duvall, and Riley under control. They have an option on Markakis, and they have Pache and Waters likely to start pushing this year, maybe as early as spring. I think they take the option on Markakis if he understands there's a very good shot that he's a bench or platoon player. 

I really hope they don't make this mistake again. He was done August 2018.

22 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I really hope they don't make this mistake again. He was done August 2018.

Good lord..

4 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Good lord..

ikr

We should all want a guy with an average arm, minimal range, no speed, devoid of power who's K rate also climbed. 

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

ikr

We should all want a guy with an average arm, minimal range, no speed, devoid of power who's K rate also climbed. 

Average arm.. ok

minimal range? Good enough for a corner OF

No speed.. eh

devoid of power.. ok

whose K rate increased.. to still better than most 

we know you hate the guy so of course you won’t mention positives.. so I won’t waste your time doing it for you

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Average arm.. ok

minimal range? Good enough for a corner OF

No speed.. eh

devoid of power.. ok

whose K rate increased.. to still better than most 

we know you hate the guy so of course you won’t mention positives.. so I won’t waste your time doing it for you

You won't waste your time because he's got nothing left. He was the most replaceable every day player on the team. The offense got better once he was got hurt.

I really don't know why you always come back with the same lame argument instead of just admitting that he's just not good and we can do better.

We don't need another coach and that's all he's good for now.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

You won't waste your time because he's got nothing left. He was the most replaceable every day player on the team. The offense got better once he was got hurt.

I really don't know why you always come back with the same lame argument instead of just admitting that he's just not good and we can do better.

We don't need another coach and that's all he's good for now.

Hilarious that you brought k rate up.. what was the increase?

and as a platoon player, he’d be more than valuable.. but please.. continue your hate.. blindly

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

Hilarious that you brought k rate up.. what was the increase?

and as a platoon player, he’d be more than valuable.. but please.. continue your hate.. blindly

Oh look there it is again.

There's no blind hate, the guy isn't good. If that is your definition of hate then it's no wonder you always get so upset when someone is criticizing a extremely replaceable ball player.

If "platoon player" is the positives that you speak of then all I can say is LOL.