Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

458 posts in this topic

who's catching for the braves next year. is it javy lopez? eddie perez? jared saltalamalchia? aj perzinski? 

3 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Nope I'm agreeing with you lol. That's such a Braves move to sign someone who was good 5 years ago 

Well you don't have to go back to 5 years ago to find a successful season for Cole Hamels. In 2016 with the Rangers he posted a 3.32 ERA, 3.98 FIP, and a 1.306 WHIP. In 2018 after being traded to the Cubs he made 12 starts for them and posted a 2.36 ERA, 3.42 FIP, and a 1.100 WHIP. But yeah, Hamels and his durability to take the ball every 5th day and veteran presence is why I think he's a very realistic target.

6 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

who's catching for the braves next year. is it javy lopez? eddie perez? jared saltalamalchia? aj perzinski? 

Greg Olson

6 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

In the catchers market it really is Grandal or bust. It's so thin this winter and I cant even think of any notable trade target that's realistically available. If not Grandal we should just look around for a defensive ace back there and sacrifice the offense to manage the staff and shutdown the run game. 

Yep. Catcher market is very weak. It's why the best thing for the long-term solution to the Braves problem is to have the kid from Baylor pan out. But we're talking about a couple of years into the future.

Braves could take a flier on someone like Yan Gomes and hope to strike gold like they did with Tyler Flowers. Gomes is a career .245/.297/.420 (.717) hitter but he's had a couple really good offensive seasons,

• 2013 - .294/.345/.381 (.826)
  • 2014 - .278/.313/.472 (.785)
  • 2018 - .266/.313/.449 (.762)

so the potential is there. With Flowers he was a career .223/.289/.376 (.665) when the Braves signed him and then in years 1 and 2 with the Braves he hit .276/.368/.433 (.801). The White Sox had similar success with James McCann this year. McCann was a highly thought of prospect with the Tigers but they eventually gave up on him after he hit only .240/.288/.366 (.653) with them. He went to the Sox and this year he hit .273/.328/.460 (.789).

But all that being said, I'd be surprised if the Nationals let him get away, his option for 2020 is only $9M.

Another decent option is Robinson Chirinos. Chirinos is a career .234/.329/.439 (.767) hitter and has hit 17, 18, and 17 homeruns each of the last 3 seasons.

31 minutes ago, LouDog said:

I wonder if Evan Gattis wants a job

I'm sure he does but he can't play defense so he's not going to help us.

I was very surprised no one signed him all year.

Just now, Malachore said:

I'm sure he does but he can't play defense so he's not going to help us.

I was very surprised no one signed him all year.

Neither can Flowers :lol:

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

I miss Salty. I'll never forget the way he stood out at A-ball. He looked like the only guy who knew what a gym was.

tl;dr likes this

59 minutes ago, jidady said:

I miss Salty. I'll never forget the way he stood out at A-ball. He looked like the only guy who knew what a gym was.

I remember when Salty made his debut in 2007 like it was yesterday. Dude looked the part of a big time major league hitter. Too bad he could never put it together offensively because that was the only thing he had going for him.

NashvilleFalcon01 likes this

9 hours ago, tl;dr said:

A platoon of Bruce Benedict and Ozzie Virgil

tl;dr likes this

I know its too early, but any indication what payroll may look like next season. We made so many changes late in the year I lost all track of where the total dollars stood.

10 hours ago, tl;dr said:

The young NCAA catcher high draft pick.

He is older than 18.

It is his chance now.

He is highly touted defensively.

It is best to start running some of the prospects into the outfield, and moving Riley to 3rd.

The Braves need to find another Ace. Ian Anderson needs his chance.

The Nationals and The Phillies are going to sign or trade for big time players to win now. They and The Mets were supposed to re-cast this division this year anyway.

The Braves did not really believe that they had a real shot to get pass The Dodgers, Astros or Yankees, or they would have dealt some of these prospects to win it all at the trade deadline.

So, they have to prepare for the future and give some of the prospects a chance to do something different than n the playoffs maybe 2-3 poat-seasons from now.

Edited by Rise

44 minutes ago, Rise said:

The young NCAA catcher high draft pick.

He is older than 18.

It is his chance now.

He is highly touted defensively.

It is best to start running some of the prospects into the outfield, and moving Riley to 3rd.

The Braves need to find another Ace. Ian Anderson needs his chance.

The Nationals and The Phillies are going to sign or trade for big time players to win now. They and The Mets were supposed to re-cast this division this year anyway.

The Braves did not really believe that they had a real shot to get pass The Dodgers, Astros or Yankees, or they would have dealt some of these prospects to win it all at the trade deadline.

So, they have to prepare for the future and give some of the prospects a chance to do something different than n the playoffs maybe 2-3 poat-seasons from now.

He will not be catcher next season. The kid played 54 games in Low-A ball. Hes going to spend most of next year at Mississippi I would imagine.

DOB thinks any thought of the Braves pursuing Cole is out of the realm of possibility. He then added in his opinion Cole will go home to LA with the Angels. The Angels are expected to make a big push to bring him in.

Yeah, we rushed Bethancourt and know how that worked out. We ruined him so much that he couldn't cut it in the Korean league. 

K26dp likes this

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

DOB thinks any thought of the Braves pursuing Cole is out of the realm of possibility. He then added in his opinion Cole will go home to LA with the Angels. The Angels are expected to make a big push to bring him in.

Circling back to my statement yesterday about someone else (where I was incorrect), Cole's draft compensation is another huge sticking point. I doubt the team looks at anyone who costs a pick right now. If we do anything, I expect it to be via trade. Hyun-Jin Ryu is another possibility since he was the only player to accept his QO last year.

3 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

I would bet either Alex Jackson or Cervelli will be one of the catchers

I get where you're coming from, but the fact that Cervelli didn't want to catch anymore makes him a bit unreliable. As for Jackson, he'll be 24 next year. So, it's time for him to earn his spot. I'm really not impressed thus far, though.

Malachore likes this

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

That deal makes sense on both sides. The Angels have needed a shutdown starter for quite some time. 

4 hours ago, jidady said:

Circling back to my statement yesterday about someone else (where I was incorrect), Cole's draft compensation is another huge sticking point. I doubt the team looks at anyone who costs a pick right now. If we do anything, I expect it to be via trade. Hyun-Jin Ryu is another possibility since he was the only player to accept his QO last year.

That would be interesting. I have no idea if the Dodgers would let him go. I definitely think we could use one more quality starter, and I don't think Keuchel is the answer

29 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

That would be interesting. I have no idea if the Dodgers would let him go. I definitely think we could use one more quality starter, and I don't think Keuchel is the answer

Dodgers GM Andrew Friedman doesnt like handing out long deals to players pushing mid 30s. Ryu is almost 33 and this is his last chance to land a significant contract. Itll be interesting but I could see LA letting Ryu go, they have Dustin May ready and willing. If I remember right Ryu is interested in 4 years reportedly. 

Astros Josh Reddick was asked about Coles upcoming FA. He basically confirmed reports about Coles desire to go home. He said Cole would love to go west.